You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 1  \  User Announcements  \  CRATER

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: CRATER

40oz
 Official Sponsor

01 March 2006 01:56 (UK time)

Alright, i feel that the right time to announce it is when I am half way through the making, just so waiting doesnt seem as long as it took to make.

This is it. This is supposedly going to be my best project yet, hopefully the best mod anyones witnessed by far.

CRATER is a project that I have been working on for roughly a month now. So far about 15 out of the hoping 30-50 maps I plan to include in the whole mod. CRATER is a completely new story line. It includes <u>absolutely</u> none of the original meteor sprites, units, player characters, weapons, and races. I cant say tiles because i did have to end up using the water and ground tiles, and some mountains tiles that i had to edit main.til with.

This mod features all new soundfx, music etc. The storyline doesnt even remotely relate to meteor at all. It really sort of makes up for our long lost Halo Mod that we've all wanted to see. Poor Mike :).

CRATER is expected to be the best work of art and gameplay we've ever seen on Meteor 1. (That's right, M1 will still live!) The goal of CRATER was to show that M1 still had modding capabilities, and still had the ability to show stunning atmosphere, even if M2 also has the ability to surpass it in many ways.

This mod was originally going to be for M2, but I found it too painstakingly long to make a mod like this one with sectors and script triggers, M1 had all (or most) of the capabilites that were required for my mod, and so I decided to show how beautiful the Meteor 1 engine can be. I'm not trying to be conceded, the tilework, sprites, races and gameplay are incredible, very atmospheric and ambient. It's M1's Sub-Halo.

Screenshots may be posted soon, but I always have the feeling that I am spoling the cake, so they may have to wait until i am very near finished.

*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

01 March 2006 14:28 (UK time)

I agree with you! I still play M1 because its still really good! I also wait impatiently for your mod. It sounds great for me. When will it be released? A few weeks or a month?
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

40oz
 Official Sponsor

02 March 2006 02:59 (UK time)

Not fully positive, it takes me between 3 days to 2 weeks to finish a map. The mod alternates between large missions, and small intermissions between them. Like for example one mission can be to infiltrate an entire building, and other missions be to simply walk into an airplane.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

04 March 2006 06:59 (UK time)

I'm feeling generous.

Here's a few screenies for you guys to drool over. Those are only a small step of whats to come in my mod.

SHOT0001 is Map07

SHOT0002 and SHOT0003 are Map08

I now have up to Map14 completed, and some other test maps that I really hope to fit in.

Shown in the screenshots, are a total of 3 of the 7 weapons the player can carry: Guardian Rifle, Frag Grenades, and Retractable knife. The rest of the weapons will be seen after this mod is finished. If you notice, the knife is required to use ammo, as using "(none)" as an ammo item subtracts from your health. In this case, the knife is similar to a switch blade, but its battery powered, thus providing quick instant kills, but is required to be as close as possible to your opponent.

As you can see, I put hours of effort in to decorating every room with lots of detail.

*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 04 March 2006 07:12

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

04 March 2006 09:12 (UK time)

Awsome!! the tiles look excellent! It seems to be very good!

arezey

04 March 2006 12:52 (UK time)

So, another mod on the WW3 tiles? I need to admit, they are so super cool!

40oz
 Official Sponsor

04 March 2006 22:42 (UK time)

<i>Seems?</i>

This mod will rock!! haha. Just wait.

Yes, the WW3 tiles again, plus a bonus like 80 more tiles that i made in addition. Some are PCX files imported into tiles, some look really good, and some turned out a little bad, but I still intend to use them.

Though I will tell you about some of the features:

-Tons of new, and way higher quality soundfx. None of that stolen crap from other games that WW3 uses.

-Bullets no longer use -1 speed, I found that too cheap and lacks fun. They now use the fastest speed - 60.

-Because of this, bullets will hurt much much more, like getting hit with about 7 of them will kill you.

-Most Races have nearly the same amount of health as you, if not more. Humans have roughly a little more than half that you have, most vehicles have up to 300+.

-Every race will have a very smooth animation for theyre wasted sprite.

-Most of the dying soldiers have between 8-13 frames, some vehicles have up to 20 frames.

-There will be some clever use of tile work, with traps and some basic script trigger-like events.

-There will be another map that's in a moving vehicle, similar to the Subway map in WW3.

-All new powerups, none of the original powerups will be used, this includes ammo items, none of the old ones.

-New music of course, but Ive turned away from the trance/techno/dance music. The music is very ambient and Halo-ish, and some of the faster paced events have metal music.

-A new unreleased update (with some features specifically for me) will be required to play the mod. The features are put to good use in this mod.

That's all I plan to admit to you at the moment. I may say more as I go on with the making of CRATER.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 04 March 2006 23:03

VR_Rat

04 March 2006 23:57 (UK time)

It's nice that we're getting another mod, but I was personaly hope a meteor2 mod.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

05 March 2006 06:51 (UK time)

This mod will be the best! Better than some of the m2 mods i think.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

06 March 2006 02:13 (UK time)

Even if it's not an M2 mod, It will still give the same exciting gameplay that M2 was built to give you. I promise you won't be sorry.

I'm hoping it will be better than some of our m2 mods, that's sort of my goal.

I just collected a ton of great soundfx that will be added to my mod. =D
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

VR_Rat

06 March 2006 20:25 (UK time)

How do people get so many sfx's? I google and don't get many good links.

arezey

08 March 2006 12:51 (UK time)

Tips:

- use keywords "soundfx, war, gunname (i.e shotgun), guns"

- try downloading other war games, they might contain some

- make a deal with a military and record soundfxs from him XD

I hope again a masterpiece from this mod, I liked the WW3 style and, what you wouldn't expect to hear, I liked also the sprite style, after I had seen M1 Regular...

40oz
 Official Sponsor

08 March 2006 23:50 (UK time)

Also be sure to include ".wav" in your search.
findsounds.com is also a huuugge help, as it finds some of the better high quality soundfx, but some searches are limited, for example, I couldnt find any death screams.

At this rate, the mod is looking to have up to nearly 50 maps.

There are some pretty neat special events in some of the levels that you may like.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 08 March 2006 23:57

40oz
 Official Sponsor

19 March 2006 04:04 (UK time)

I have finished creating up to map20 of my mod. This means I am around to 40% in the making of my mod.

<u>Here are some things on my to-do list</u>

-Obviously, create up to 20-30 more maps, and patch up the holes in my storyline so it will begin to make sense.

-<s>Maybe get some new races, which also means I will need some new sprites, and new soundfx</s> Made several new races, May include more as I go along.

-<s>Make another gun for the player character.</s> DONE

-<s>Make mis</s>sion briefings. (Halfway Done)

-Figure out my powerup sprites bug. (Items.def doesn't load the sprites that I listed in the text, instead it selects the first sprite in the folder alphabetically. If anyone has this issue in their mod and knows how to fix it, let me know)

-<s>Touch up my Intro Cinematic (the last frame gets very distorted and I'm still wondering why.)</s> DONE

-<s>Touch up some of the maps (Some have special triggered tiles that I put by mistake, others are too hard while some are too easy)</s> DONE

-<s>Recolor a few sprites, either too dark, too bright, or blend in with the tiles too much that you can barely see them</s> DONE

-<s>Figure out what the last boss will be for the last level of the game. Id let you guys decide but it would spoil it!</s> DONE

-Make a ton of head to head maps, It'll have great multiplayer.

-<s>This mod has plenty of open areas, being good for Co-Op as well</s> MAPS NOW HAVE COOP SUPPORT

Thats all ive got (or what I've chosen to reveal) at the moment.

After I finish making this mod, I may have to devote the rest of my life to creating M2 Head to head maps with no script triggers. (they take too much time to make.) That is until I come up with my next greatest idea.

So far Crater is looking to be, by far the best work I've done. It will probably remain my best work for a long time too. I almost feel as though I released WW3 as a joke mod.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 17 April 2006 01:47

VR_Rat

21 March 2006 23:09 (UK time)

nice touch with the mission breifings. any date set for a release?

40oz
 Official Sponsor

22 March 2006 01:49 (UK time)

Ugh, Release dates often end up as dissapointments. Im hoping to have this thing finished before the end of next month. Sorry that its a pretty long time. But I'm pretty sure it will be done by that time, if not earlier.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

VR_Rat

24 March 2006 21:55 (UK time)

That isn't to long from now. I didn't mean to rush you. By the way, what happened to your icon? I personally see a lack of icon as a signal that the person doesn't want to stay on the forums.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

26 March 2006 21:06 (UK time)

Oh dont worry about it man, I'm not really rushed at all, I'm taking my time. I finished making up to map28. thats about 15-20 maps to go.

Yes, the icon. I meant to change it but I keep getting 404'd "this page cannot be displayed" when ever i change it. And i removed my original icon first to experiment, but it wont allow me to select an icon of my own.

THATS A HINT FOR ANYONE THINKING OF CHANGING THEIR ICON SOON, KEEP YOUR ICON UNTIL THE BUG IS FIXED
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 26 March 2006 21:14

VR_Rat

26 March 2006 21:44 (UK time)

I’ve been wondering about that. Thing is, I realized that the jet just isn’t me so I tried to replace it with a Metroid Prime Hunter’s icon that I found (got the game just yesterday. If you want a first person shooter for nintendo DS than I highly advise getting thise game=D).

me_mantis

28 March 2006 20:03 (UK time)

Looks awesome =D

Can't wait to play it.(make sure its mp compatible plz =D)

40oz
 Official Sponsor

31 March 2006 03:53 (UK time)

HH isnt my top priority right now, but if there is time before the end of next month, i may fit in a few HH maps. Coop is looking like the goal of this mod. It has really smooth Coop support, leaving roughly enough ammo for more than one players.
Just finished a few more Campaign maps. Im hoping for a reply about my powerup sprites problem. I AM STILL CLUELESS.

*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

VR_Rat

31 March 2006 22:27 (UK time)

if you want help just ask me

40oz
 Official Sponsor

03 April 2006 05:42 (UK time)

New Screenshots!

-- Sorry about the wait. These aren't very special, I may have to touch up these maps before I send them out. It's harder to make outdoor maps in Meteor, than it is to make Indoor ones. Though in Meteor 2, this is almost exactly the opposite.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 14 April 2006 17:08

VR_Rat

10 April 2006 01:15 (UK time)

The upload is back so where are our screenies?

40oz
 Official Sponsor

15 April 2006 20:25 (UK time)

I've completed the making of all maps up to map36. I still have a long set of maps left to make. I'm assuming that there will not be a last boss battle, but a very large and very hard map for the last one, much like Meteor WW3. Except it will be a little more than somewhat possible.

A new weapon was made in order to suit the theme of the next few levels I have planned.

I touched up the first few levels, i didn't think the outdoor maps had enough detail, they were too bland for my taste.

Still yet, the mod is looking amazing. Be ready for a thrill ride!
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

17 April 2006 01:55 (UK time)

Today, I had my cousin, a semi-experienced meteor player, try my mod. I got to see how a person would first react to it.

It came to my attention that some of the first maps where enemies are encountered are sort of difficult. I'm updating those maps as we speak with more health kits, and maybe a few less enemies. It was a little too much for the first few levels.

Some more maps were touched up with powerup placement and either more or less units.

There's a possibility that I may have to bump the release date to mid-May, Unless I occupy all my time that I possibly have until this mod is finished, it could be done by the next week or two. But since I have a life outside of my computer, CRATER has the possibility of waiting another few more weeks after its original expected release date.

<b>"Ugh, Release dates often end up as dissapointments."</b>
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 17 April 2006 01:57

VR_Rat

17 April 2006 14:49 (UK time)

I don't mind bumped release dates. I just like to here release dates so I'm not thinking the it will be a 2010 release or something.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

19 April 2006 04:28 (UK time)

Haha. I would never make you guys wait four years.

I've been browsing for more new music. I am often duped by the titles of the songs. The titles, sounding cooler than the song is. I've had a lot of songs to delete.

But I've still had the time to come up with a new icon for like an average of every 3 day period =)
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 19 April 2006 04:29

40oz
 Official Sponsor

02 May 2006 03:06 (UK time)

Still looking great, It appears we hit May now. CRATER is looking to roughly make it by the 20th this month. But it may take longer, As I still am clueless of my powerup bug, and I need a good way to close out my mod with an amazing last few levels.

After some recent testing, this mod will keep you in the house for a while. It's a ton of fun, and I got nearly halfway through the mod, without dying, and rushing through the maps. I looked at the clock and it was an hour later. If your a big meteor fan and are really good at it, it could take you nearly 2 and a half hours to complete the whole thing. Possibly more if you die a lot, or get a heart attack by the cool ambient soundfx, stunning tile work, and pulsing music!

I am now up to the completion of Map41 (May be one of my most creative maps yet.)

There's a possibility that I may not get to HH maps. But that doesn't make it positive that I won't, so don't be too dissapointed.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

VR_Rat

02 May 2006 22:12 (UK time)

If you leave multiplayer for another release that would be ok.

EDIT: Plus you could have some people make some HH maps for you =D.

Edited: 02 May 2006 22:13

40oz
 Official Sponsor

29 May 2006 23:29 (UK time)

Ugh... This is just fantastic

As you guys may have noticed, I haven't had access to a computer for a while (I'm using my brother's mac at the moment). My laptop gave up. My dad and I suspect that it may be that the battery inside it burned out. My dad is still searching for a place that can get it repaired for a fair price. Dell is $50 to find the problem, and $200 to fix it. So, then my mod is going to have to be backed up. But I am still about 95% sure that I will be able to get my hard drive and continue working on my mod again. It only needed 5 or 6 more maps, several sprites, a couple soundfx and units, and a load of mission briefings.

Sorry about this guys, I really wanted to keep CRATER going until it was finished.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

VR_Rat

30 May 2006 20:17 (UK time)

Yeah, the worst part about a mod is when you are almost done with it then you lose it all. Hope that doesn't happen.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

02 June 2006 03:35 (UK time)

Yeah,,, it blows, I know.

But there is good news, my brother just informed me earlier today that he got in touch with someone who could help my computer out a bit, hopefully get it fixed for a low price. So that means I may be able to get back working soon. =D

The good thing about not having a computer, is that it gives you a long period of time to think over the mod. thinking and making sketches of possible units, maps, sprites, and other things. It's a lot easier to come up with ideas when your not already in the process of making them happen.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

VR_Rat

03 June 2006 19:09 (UK time)

I have trouble with that. I mean with my modding. I think of ideas easily, but I sometimes have trouble making them solid on my own.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

14 June 2006 01:39 (UK time)

(On my brothers mac again)

This completely blows. My dad took my 'top to the Dell place, and it costed him $50 for them to tell him that the motherboard is burned out, and it cant be fixed.

So, If im ever going to continnue with CRATER, I eeed a fresh new computer to put the data on.

I'm so frustrated, I'm so sorry that i have to put CRATER off for this long. I'm afraid that if you guys have to wait any longer, it may not even be worth playing.

But I'm 99% positive that CRATER will not be abandoned.
(the 1% chance that someone somehow damages my hard drive while transfering my data to a new computer, compleely erasing the data.)

I may have to kill myself if that happens.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

VR_Rat

14 June 2006 18:06 (UK time)

If you kill yourself then we will have to rebuild you from everyone's hard drive. Assuming that's possible =).

arezey

20 June 2006 13:29 (UK time)

QUOTE Papercut 14 June 2006 01:39 (UK time)

(On my brothers mac again)

This completely blows. My dad took my 'top to the Dell place, and it costed him $50 for them to tell him that the motherboard is burned out, and it cant be fixed.

So, If im ever going to continnue with CRATER, I eeed a fresh new computer to put the data on.

I'm so frustrated, I'm so sorry that i have to put CRATER off for this long. I'm afraid that if you guys have to wait any longer, it may not even be worth playing.

But I'm 99% positive that CRATER will not be abandoned.
(the 1% chance that someone somehow damages my hard drive while transfering my data to a new computer, compleely erasing the data.)

I may have to kill myself if that happens.

------------------------------------------

I don't think it wouldn't be not worth playing... I think that if you would have released it now, a few of us would have played it for most of us are working on a mod (no one has posted onto my M2M1 threads => I think no one has played it!). If you release it pretty much where the other mods are about to be released you have better chances on having the mod played.

Just keep the hard drive somewhere safe, locked and/or hidden and you should be sure the mod is going to be in someone's computer someday :)

I do think that you just need to buy a new motherboard, except if the burnout has damaged the other components but I doubt that.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

20 June 2006 17:35 (UK time)

I actually found a $100 motherboard on eBay, and sure enough I bought it. My brother helped me out with transfering my files on my hard drive onto CD's.

So my work is safe. When the motherboard comes in, my brother will help me put it in my 'top and we'll see if it works.

My brother also said if it doesn't work, I can try and install meteor to the computer im using now, and try to finish the mod on this computer. So it's pretty likely that it will all turn out good in the end.

All it takes is a bit of waiting.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

VR_Rat

20 June 2006 19:50 (UK time)

Yay, now we won't have to woory about you having to start over =)

40oz
 Official Sponsor

27 June 2006 16:24 (UK time)

Haha, yep. I've been doing all i can about making "some" progress with CRATER, as meteor won't install on his mac. But I was able to draw out some maps on paper, and make rough sketches of upcoming units. I really wish I could just finish the mod and get it over with. I only needed to make 5 or so more maps. Im really sick of the situation I'm in right now.

I'm thinking of finding another way of contributing to meteor without actually using the game. Possibly a new intro cinematic, new textures, or maybe a bunch of PCX files of units that didn't make it into my mod. Maybe I'll bring up that Mod-Material thread again in the M2 forums.

I've also sketched out a few cool Head to head maps for M2.

But for the heads up, I may not be able to start working on CRATER again until the next few weeks or so, depends on what happens and how plans work out.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

arezey

28 June 2006 08:42 (UK time)

Yes the thread is dead again... But if it is just weeks anymore then I don't need to be conserned about having to wait CRATER for next fall :)

Edited: 28 June 2006 08:43

40oz
 Official Sponsor

29 June 2006 19:02 (UK time)

I sold my 'top's screen for $152, I'm gonna see what I can do about getting a desktop computer for that price, and then install meteor and get back on the mod.

The solution is happening one step at a time.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 29 June 2006 22:00

arezey

30 June 2006 07:44 (UK time)

How long it will take that you would be back on the mod?

Edited: 30 June 2006 07:45

VR_Rat

30 June 2006 14:40 (UK time)

Here's a wild idea. How about enlisting some of us to continue your work under your careful supervision? No this is not an attempt to get a sneek peek at CRATER =).

40oz
 Official Sponsor

02 July 2006 17:09 (UK time)

Well, I haven't yet bought a new computer off eBay yet. I hoping to do it after my vacation, which starts tuesday and doesnt end till the end of the week. So it may be 2 to 3 weeks.

Haha, yeah that would be great, I really would like to have you guys help out. But this is the thing. I don't really have a real computer for myself to save the data on, thus i cant export it to something like megaupload.com for you. Also, being the director of the mod, I'd be really picky of how the maps turn out.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

17 July 2006 05:07 (UK time)

Woohoo! I've got a computer now, and now I'm back to workin on CRATER. CRATER is looking to get finished in only a few weeks. So sit tight!
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

arezey

18 July 2006 14:41 (UK time)

Only few weeks?

There are so many things I would like to check out but I will first take out the campaign (if I can).

BTW about new computers I am also getting a new one.

Edited: 24 July 2006 22:17

40oz
 Official Sponsor

24 July 2006 20:00 (UK time)

Screenies!
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

arezey

24 July 2006 22:17 (UK time)

Nice... can't wait to get it.

me_mantis

24 July 2006 22:30 (UK time)

awesomeness!
Looks like it is gonna be really fun (or good looking at least)

=D

40oz
 Official Sponsor

26 July 2006 17:57 (UK time)

Fun + Good looking = CRATER

=D

I'm nearing the completion of my mod. less than 10 maps to go, some more sprites and races and thats about it. Though I still have to make mission briefings.

All the maps have been playtested thoroughly to ensure that there is the right amount of ammo and health and enemies. For all you mod makers out there, playtest a lot, it really does help you decide whether your mod is actually fun.

The mod shall be released soon. I promise.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

arezey

26 July 2006 18:40 (UK time)

sometimes i come jealous to you all... I JUST CAN'T MAKE A SINGLE MAP FINISHED FOR MY MOD (I mean MSA now)!!!!!!! I am just thinking should I give away MSA too and spend my meteor contributing to converting, maybe i should ask a mod to be converted or then find a good mapmaker and ask for a few?.. don't know.

But first I am going to finish m1 mod and then i'll see.

BTW papercut, what are you going to do when crater is finished?

VR_Rat

27 July 2006 13:42 (UK time)

Don't worry, I rarely get through the planning phase then I lose interest and quit.

arezey

28 July 2006 22:51 (UK time)

I just tried out and made 2 nice maps for msa... looks like the second resource build did it's job.

Papercut, how many maps are left? No rush but just want to know the status.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

29 July 2006 17:24 (UK time)

Yeah starting mods is pretty tough, but the base is to get enough ideas to stick together that its actually worth making a mod out of. I had thousands of ideas and even a highly detailed storyline to follow up so I could make this 50-60 mapset. But the most important thing is being optimistic and dedicated to the completion of the mod.

Ha, your not really rushing be at all, but I should be moving a little faster, It's taking me weeks to finish even some really small maps (Damn outdoor maps take so long to make look good with M1!). I sometimes caught myself making maps look too familiar, or almost exactly alike. (Those maps are fixed, dont worry about it!) My story is kinda going a little zany and I've nearly forgotten how to connect a few of the situations. I'm still trying to comme up with a spectacular ending to the game.

Trying to make every map look amazing is really tough to do considering that I am making 40+ of them!

I keep getting sidetracked with playing soldat, and modding doom,
both kill a lot of time.

I am currently working on map44. There should be 5-10 more maps to make. I'm really gonna start trying to get this mod done sooner than later. =P

*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 29 July 2006 17:26

40oz
 Official Sponsor

29 July 2006 17:34 (UK time)

Anyone who is up for making mods, should really consider making mods based on your favorite games/movies. Just like the Halo mod (I really think Mike should just make that mod anyway, He's not making any money off of it.) The story is easy to recreate, you can use graphics or sounds from the game or movie, and the story is easy to recreate being that you don't have to make it up as you go.

You don't have to recreate a brand new story all the time.

Look at my NES Sounds mod for example, that mod did nothing more than replace the sounds. Try making mods that replace the sprites or something Mods can be as little as a new object in the game. I am really interested in seeing work from you guys, whether it be small or big, but the more mods the better, so keep working on your mods, start new ones, and don't have to be big.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 29 July 2006 17:36

arezey

29 July 2006 19:25 (UK time)

You will love MSA when you get it... the point of it is that AT THE SAME MOMENT when you finish M2 original, starts MSA, the first map is when Secret Agency takes your helicopter (the one that was in the last level of M2) down and kills it's pilots and passenger soldiers (only you survive). It will take you to the arctic base and to the hot foundry. But I won't tell you more.

BTW thanks papercut for pointing for FindSounds.com earlier. Can I still use soundfx from realweapons? They fit this style. Really, my mod's soundfx, about 60% is from M2.

Edited: 29 July 2006 22:35

40oz
 Official Sponsor

08 August 2006 01:14 (UK time)

I'd like o keep you guys updated by saying that there are less than 5 maps to go. Resulting in a total of 50 (Fifty) maps. No Secret levels, so you won't miss any action. I'm sure you guys will enjoy every minute of it. I sure as hell did playtesting it.

I've playtested the whole thing over 8 times making sure every map is possible, right amount of enemies, health and ammo.

So there ya go. I got about 4 maps to make. 1 to complete making. about 40 mission briefings (takes about a day to make 5 or 6 so don't worry about that.) and I'll be ready to roll it out. Just gotta keep on keep'n on.

I kinda decided that it may not have Head to head maps unless you make your own. I may change my mind if you guys bug me enough and don't mind waiting.

Anybody like more screenshots?

@Aleksanteri Yeah I can't wait to try MSA, I'm looking forward to it. I guess its no big deal if you use the real weapons sounds, I won't mind.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 09 August 2006 03:18

VR_Rat

09 August 2006 13:40 (UK time)

Why don't you add in Head to Head maps in an expansion afterwards. That way we can get Crater without haveing to wait another few weeks and so we could submit maps for Head to Head if you want.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

10 August 2006 04:18 (UK time)

Good thinkin, I may have to do that. I'll evantually get bored with woking on the Objects resource file, so I may spend time working on HH maps for CRATER.

I have finished making all the maps for CRATER, i need about 25 more mission briefings, And I'm ready to go. I also made the ending cinematic too.

I think I may be able to roll it out on the day after tomorrow, I'm going to be out tomorrow.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

arezey

10 August 2006 09:35 (UK time)

Yeh, I also have on plan to make an multiplayer patch for M2M1... as I have finished the final release now (YAY!!!) and is sent to mantis I have thought to have now MSA as my real project and M2M1 multi at lower priority. BTW I have zipped some MSA screens you would like to see (on that MSA thread on meteor2).

Edited: 10 August 2006 09:44

40oz
 Official Sponsor

11 August 2006 17:29 (UK time)

I still need to have a chat with James with a few bugs im experiencing that can make Crater look weird. I can't seem to get a hold of him.

Has anyone heard from James lately?
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

VR_Rat

11 August 2006 19:29 (UK time)

No but he probably has something to do with M3 now. Tell us the problem because one of us may know how to fix it.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

13 August 2006 05:40 (UK time)

Well its my powerup bug. There may be something I'm doing wrong, but I'm afraid to post up my items text before the release of my mod.

Meteor tends to read my file just fine, where all powerups names, amounts, items are all listed correctly, though it doesn't display the sprite that i tell it to for each powerup. Instead, it selects the very first sprite in my games/meteor/Crater/sprites folder

Oddly enough, the only powerup that is displayed correctly is my power cell battery. Even more oddly enough, I believe it does so because the sprite filename (POWERCELL.SPR or something, I'm not fully sure) Is the same as meteor's original powerup "Power Cell Pack". I'll still have to continue playing around with it until everything works out in the end.

Being that james coded up all the items stuff himself, he may quickly spot what I did wrong, and show me how to fix it.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

arezey

14 August 2006 19:46 (UK time)

You could backup the itemdefs.txt and whip a new one and see if it works. I sometimes work out my solutions that way.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

14 August 2006 20:53 (UK time)

Actually I spent nearly an hour yesterday playing around with the itemdefs.txt

I'm not sure if this is truly the problem, but it turned out i was using TAB instead of spaces. But the problem is fixed now, and now I can seee all my powrups just fine =D

I still gotta a lot of mission briefings to do before I release the whole mod.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

14 August 2006 21:36 (UK time)

// *** Use spaces and not tabs! ****

copied directly from gamedefs, this may be true for itemdefs too

yeeah, so this means we can play Crater soon?

40oz
 Official Sponsor

15 August 2006 02:41 (UK time)

You got it! =D

Mission Briefings are a real pain though, I still got a ton to make, and I'm working extra hard to make sure that each one is... "interesting" so you wouldn't want to skip them right away.

But I'm hoping to get it released really soon!

It's looking to be by far the biggest mod yet, ranging between 30-40 MB!! I'm seeing what I can do to get around it, the music stores up to nearly 20MB. I have over 30-some songs. Soundfx are carefully picked out to be of the highest quality. Did I mention that there's an update to the meteor.exe to support my mod?

That's right, Meteor will now have the ability to play mp3 music, have sprite frame sounds, and sound loops, just like one M2.

Because of this ability, I had to take full advantage of it, and provide soundfx to even some of the smallest details, even things like footsteps have sounds. There's Computer beeping sounds, fire crackling, machine whirring, water dripping, wind, rivers, etc.

(I was careful to make sure that such sounds were quiet so they wouldn't be annoying.)

But if absolutely necessary, I can provide a light version, like M2, so it has no music. The ambient soundfx do the job pretty well anyway.

Here's a little update to my to-do list. (This to-do list has very minor, yet still important details that I've been trying to get at for days now.)

-Detail up some more tiles, some just look too ugly.

-Draw up some more Wasted Sprites for infantry.

-Add some ambient sounds to my latest maps.

-Finish beating HeXen. (Has nothing to do with the completion of Crater, but that game is driving me through the roof with all its puzzles)

-Some basic weapon, race, and sprite tweaking for tiny details that have been annoying me as well.

-Touch up the Mid-Game Boss battle to make it a little more interesting.

-Make sure the first levels are easy to get into without throwing too many enemies, and not enough health kits for a beginner to get used to. Even the weakest of enemies can be devastating, so it's tough to work with this. Crater will drastically increase in difficulty as you move on.

-Make more of those damned mission briefings!!

So there ya have it. If I had the time to devote my life to these kinds of things, I could get it all done and out in one day (execpt beating HeXen =P), though it turns out that I have a life outside these things, and it takes me a while to get to. I'm sorry for all you guys who are so anxious to play it.

Later I'll provide an in depth description of how the game is played, since its quite different than the original Meteor.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

arezey

16 August 2006 13:56 (UK time)

Hey, will the module support be improved in the update? This version plays them badly.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

18 August 2006 02:02 (UK time)

I'm unaware how the music played in the previous version. Currently, the music seems to be phenomenal to me. You can decide for yourself.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

arezey

18 August 2006 15:15 (UK time)

All right.

So this means you've got the update already?

40oz
 Official Sponsor

19 August 2006 02:45 (UK time)

Yep, I've had it for quite a while.

I really admired the sprite frame and loop soundfx for M2, so I spoke to James personally in hoped of implementing it to M1. Lucky enough, It was just a simple cut and paste. So now the feature is in the next M1 update, and is put to great use in my mod! =)

With the use of that feature, its sometimes fun to play Crater with the music off.

I'm about to release it real soon! Yesterday I put in a ton of effort to write over 20 mission briefings. About 10 more to go and I will mail it to me_mantis to post on meteormods.com!
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

20 August 2006 22:29 (UK time)

Hoo Rah!

Im Done!

It's mailed to James and me_mantis to be posted on meteormods.com and for quick testing to check if it works correctly. Thanks to all who supported me, you got individual listings in the credits! =)
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

VR_Rat

22 August 2006 18:28 (UK time)

Are you sure you sent it? It still has yet to appear on the mod page.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

22 August 2006 22:29 (UK time)

I think me_mantis still play it =)

40oz
 Official Sponsor

23 August 2006 04:01 (UK time)

Well I still haven't quite gotten word from James or me_mantis compatibility-wise. I still don't know if it operates correctly on their computers. James seems to always have touching up to do on mods before their sent out for the final release, we'll hear from them about it soon.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

26 August 2006 06:15 (UK time)

where's Crater? Its been done for almost a week. i'd really want to play it now. (and i think anybody else too)

Erik

26 August 2006 08:56 (UK time)

Yeah, thats right i want to play it too... :)

40oz
 Official Sponsor

26 August 2006 17:49 (UK time)

I dunno what to tell you, Me_mantis tells me that Crater won't run on his computer, and I think (hope) that James is updating it so that it will run right. Getting a hold of James isn't exactly as easy as it used to be. He tells me that he's been bottled up with work quite a bit.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Erik

30 August 2006 10:04 (UK time)

I liked those screenshotz, :) I just hope it workz :).

40oz
 Official Sponsor

31 August 2006 01:25 (UK time)

Good news, James told me that Meteor 1.32 is now released! That mean's we're more than halfway there!
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

arezey

31 August 2006 13:53 (UK time)

OH MY gosh!!!
LOOK LOOK!
http://www.meteormods.com/meteor/mods.asp

Edited: 31 August 2006 17:16

VR_Rat

31 August 2006 20:52 (UK time)

FINALLY =D =D =D. I'm downloading it now.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

01 September 2006 03:02 (UK time)

Hoo Rah!!

I'd love to hear your feedback. I'm still here to help if you have any trouble figuring a part out. Have fun!
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

James Bunting
01 September 2006 19:13 (UK time)

Well I am really enjoying playing this mod. I am at the bit where you have to shoot your way off the train.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

04 September 2006 03:28 (UK time)

Cool, I'm glad you're making through thoroughly. I was afraid some may not find the exit to some of the levels, since they aren't really "given away".

If anyone has problems solving a map, please let me know.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

08 September 2006 13:24 (UK time)

@papercut: wow (not world of warcraft =) your mod looks awesome!!
what would happen if you would make such good quality M2 mods?

40oz
 Official Sponsor

08 September 2006 21:50 (UK time)

Haha thanks dude. I hope you've tried playing it too =)

Unfortunately, I'm not as good with sectors as I am with 16x16 tiles. Though I am pretty good at editing with Doom, and that runs on a sector engine as well =P

The difference between Doom and Meteor editing is that Meteor's sectors are just shapes of color, or textures rather.

Doom is somewhat the same way, but because the game is in 3D, sectors can be raised in height and appear much prettier to the eye.

Now when Meteor 3 comes out, You'll see some good sectors!

I'm now getting into scripting in M2. It took me quite a while to get into it. I was a bit shy with M2 at first because I didn't feel I was ready for it. Now I feel in line with M2, so I may be able to pull off some decent M2 mods, but no giant atmospheric ones like Crater. I don't think I could pull that off again. I'm going to stick with small but fun mods for now.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 08 September 2006 22:01

James Bunting
12 September 2006 23:57 (UK time)

I am now further into Crater and am getting blasted by those flying dustbin lid things that really kick you ass. I have not played for a week or so as I am doing a bunch of work on M2.

I agree with pretty much everything here about the question of "wow if Papercut can do this for M1, what can he do for M2?". The new sector palette feature should really help here.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

27 September 2006 15:08 (UK time)

I was surprised to find out that I didn't get nearly as much fan mail for Crater as I did for Meteor-WW3. I counted up about a total of six mails for WW3, but I've only got one from me_mantis for Crater. Maybe I'm just being a crybaby where I'm not getting the credit that I assumed I deserved... maybe I should just shut up. =P
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

me_mantis

01 October 2006 19:33 (UK time)

I won yo!

I really liked that last level!

I played through it a few times just because the explosion was sooooooo cool.
It was awesome!

I'll probably hafta talk to ya some time, but I couldn't really read the ending comments.
I'm challenging tha rest of y'all to finish this mod!

arezey

01 October 2006 20:17 (UK time)

I had finished this a while ago but I needed to cheat to survive from a few maps when I hadn't got any weapons (sorry jon, i didn't tell you about it)

VR_Rat

02 October 2006 01:29 (UK time)

I finally finished Crater and i have to say, i'm impressed. I personally found it boring after getting in to the facillity and before the aliens. Felt to much like constant repeats of levels. The aliens reminded me of the flood in Halo. I almost gave up at that point. The boss was nice though. I doubt it could've been done any better with scripting. Overall, if someone hasn't tried out this mod yet than they don't know what their missing. Never a war again so foolish again.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

19 October 2006 01:30 (UK time)

Haha nice.

I'm proud to update you all that I am still going to make Head to Head maps, But i get working on them like once a week. I only have 2 done. I'm hoping for at least 8.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

arezey

19 October 2006 15:32 (UK time)

Before I started with the Nuclear Facility I started making a HH map for crater but it never got finished. I'll upload it here. =)

Sharpshooter
31 October 2006 11:52 (UK time)

For those who can't read the ending comments...
(WARNING : SPOILERS)

"The Giant Crater of Opus that controlled the minds of these pirates and the Cronus Command to gain full control over is now an empty wasteland. All the ore and its inhabitants in the Crater is now irradiated or vaporized in the blast.

Including you.

This war was unbelievable, and has had more casualties than any other war in the galaxy. All interplanetary factions that had anything to do with any mining operations have decided to play fair. They decided that they will never have anything to do with collecting this precious ore, and leave it to the planets they arrive on.

Looking down at all damage you caused as your soul hovers above the universe itself, you pray that war will never be forced again for an issue as stupid and ridiculous as having the most money. There is never a good reason for a human being to kill another. In a war, one side can lose, but the other never wins. It's a terrible things to see your friends of the battlefield sent home in body bags. Medals and ranks can never take the place of loved ones.

After this war, we all pray that war will never happen again."

(END OF SPOILERS)

40oz
 Official Sponsor

02 November 2006 00:10 (UK time)

Why'd you do that? No one asked for the ending =P
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Sharpshooter
02 November 2006 07:03 (UK time)

'I couldn't really read the ending comments' - me_mantis
FLC files don't work too well on some computers, including mine, but I used a way to 'play' them outside of Meteor, so I thought I'd post this just in case there are some other players having trouble reading the ending.

Edited: 02 November 2006 07:04

40oz
 Official Sponsor

03 November 2006 00:26 (UK time)

Oh yeah, your right haha. I dont know how I missed that.

And you are most definitely right. FLC files seem to play slower than GIFs, and the sound I had for my mod overshot faster than the intro was playing.

It was supposed to go

TZ-ZAP TZ-ZAP [Flashes of console images]
<Strong Drum Beat> [As the image of the crater was present]
SHHHIINNNGG [Exactly While the crater faded into the word "CRATER"]

It worked well when the image was a GIF.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 03 November 2006 00:32

DarkRain

08 March 2007 18:03 (UK time)

I am playing Crater at the moment and I think it is great! Now I am fighting with the aliens. I am enjoying the Mod a lot!
The Dark Age is upon us! Quake 2 mapmaker.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

10 March 2007 01:46 (UK time)

Save your ammo at that part. Never, or at least very rarely spray your bullets at a bunch of baby aliens, you'll be missing a lot more than hitting. There are bullet crates everywhere but it's never enough. Use the gray vanguards to help you as often as you can, they dont run out of ammo, therfore they are allowed to spray bullets.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

DarkRain

10 March 2007 09:14 (UK time)

Thank you for the instructions but I accomplished all the missions! They are great! I had barely ammo in the part with the aliens but I managed to complete these missions.
The Dark Age is upon us! Quake 2 mapmaker.

arezey

21 March 2007 14:19 (UK time)

O_O Already? It took me a week to get over all those missions

40oz
 Official Sponsor

21 March 2007 15:47 (UK time)

Maybe he's better at meteor than you? =)
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use