You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 1  \  General Discussion  \  ahoyhoy

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: ahoyhoy

unkel joe

22 August 2004 03:55 (UK time)

yeelo everybody. my name is davee. but that name was in use so i used unkel joe.i am a member of the marx-manifesto.org forum, and also have an exellent interest in russian bikes. i cant remember how i came to playing this game but i can remember that it was on some site with free ware written on it. i know it wasnt freewarefiles.com but it was something along those lines.great game i have ta say.cant wait for the meteor 2 t come out. actually i can remember that i had made an airport when i cam on the site. it was really messy with not alot of info but ove the last six months i have done a bit better.

anyways thats all i gotta say. great game n all.

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

22 August 2004 07:43 (UK time)

Heh, I remember when I first saw the glory of meteor.

My Uncle Jeff came over on Thanksgiving and handed me this CD and told me that this CD had a whole load of Freeware games that I may like. So after a few days i tested it out. Searching throught files and files looking for a nice game. I tried to pick out names that sounded the best. Ive seen games like 'Avalon' and 'Asteroid Annhilation' and 'Arakanoid' They all sounded good to me and when i tested them they didnt play to well. After about a few more days of searching i was still looking for some interesting game to play... i managed to skip meteor the first time, the name didnt convince me enough. once I tried most of the games I came back to meteor and experienced some pretty sweet and well balanced gameplay. Took me a few minutes to find out about mouseaim which really kept me playing. The soundfx were well chosen too. Not like other games (beep... beep... ... zap...) Once I searched through tools and noticed the most incredible amount of editors ive ever seen! Map, Sprite, Tile, Weapon, Player Character, Race, (Didn'y have map lists at the time.) But At that point ive never left that game and i still wouldnt dare delete it today. Ive never had more fun with a freeware game before, its actually more fun then the games I even payed money for! I have to say Meteor is the best game I've ever played (yet)
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

maximiliank92

22 August 2004 16:01 (UK time)

I remember the first time I played Meteor. Also from a CD, but the CD was in Danish (I think). But all the games were in English. Anyway,it was Meteor 1.1 Test 2. And I first played it on an old, old Dell, with a processor speed of 60 Mhz. It was fantastic. Plus, when I found the mouse aim the game got even more better. It was a shame that the PC didn't have sound so when I put it on a new laptop, nothing came close. (This was years ago). Thanks JB for the best game ever !!!

Dave Man

23 August 2004 01:38 (UK time)

I rember when I got the game, it was in the winter of 2000, I was looking for freeware games on gamehippo and found meteor, After I downloaded it and played it I really liked it.

Assain

23 August 2004 02:34 (UK time)

Ya the same with me. But i HATED the staff rating for Meteor on game hippo- 7/10!!! i mean, it alest diserves a 9! James has gotta be pretty lucky, his game is already being burnt on CDs and given out by all sorts o ppl! he should of put a DL counter on his site, to see how many ppl have DL this game! =)

unkel joe

24 August 2004 09:02 (UK time)

hey i have no odea what a dl is. can you explain? i dont happen to speak HAXXOR

James Bunting
24 August 2004 17:51 (UK time)

Well its easy when you know. DL = download, simple as that.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

24 August 2004 21:54 (UK time)

Actually I can believe that it got a 7/10, The original game isnt that good and probably got rated on one of the early versions. But what makes Meteor the best game is that it allows you to fix the game yourself just the way you like it. gamehippo obviously didnt count that or it would be a 14/10!
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

me_mantis

24 August 2004 22:47 (UK time)

well, since everone is tellin 'bout how they got into meteor, I must say how I did. I, play the beta, which my older brother dled in 1999. I played it ever since. (I also played rod on my 50mgz dell 486 but that was 2 years ago)

unkel joe

25 August 2004 10:33 (UK time)

k. now i understand.

JohnWE

26 August 2004 17:06 (UK time)

Yes, I downloaded the beta version of Meteor (0.62b I think) in 1999, and played it every time my parents weren't looking. That was a great version, as the sniper rifle used bullets and the bullets were slow. Therefore, you could shoot 500 sniper bullets almost all the way across the map, and destroy anything in your way! One time I was very sad because I had the chance to play it, but I couldn't because I was too sick to sit up in a chair. Also, I think the fusion cannon did a whole lot more damage and had a bigger blast radius then.

EDIT: I also remember the last mission (base beta) had the hoverboard in it, which was very fun!

Edited: 26 August 2004 17:07

James Bunting
26 August 2004 23:22 (UK time)

He speaks the truth about the weapons and the hoverboard. The good old hoverboard was removed in 1999 until it made its come back in v1.2.

I keep all the betas so I can always send you the original but its DOS only!

Edited: 26 August 2004 23:22

Agent Nightfire

30 August 2004 03:05 (UK time)

How I came in touch w/ Meteor is Jon showed me it one day and I never got bored of it since. It's free, easy to play, sounds great, addictive, and everything else in between. What more do you want?

unkel joe

30 August 2004 07:19 (UK time)

hey i just remember how i knew about meteor. www.dosgames.com has it on their downloading page.

Was this really FBI?
(no longer an active user)

30 August 2004 12:56 (UK time)

I got one of the first versions of meteor by an friend, and then i saw the webadress on the front page on meteor, and then i tryed the site and i decided to download the new version.

Agent Nightfire

30 August 2004 18:07 (UK time)

dosgames.com is a great site! I downloaded abuse off there.

Assain

31 August 2004 01:23 (UK time)

Ya i got my game off of GameHippo.com. Abuse is there too, that game ROCKS! I was making a level called "Ant Wars", ment to the longest, most interesting level, seperated in sections. Never finished it lol. But now M2 is top on freeware games at the moment!

Agent Nightfire

31 August 2004 16:57 (UK time)

Download Worm Wars. That is worms vs. ants. It is a kool game. There is 1 2 or I believe 3 Worm Wars. Try three. :)

Was this really FBI?
(no longer an active user)

31 August 2004 18:03 (UK time)

I tryed one of them, but after i were starting the game suddenly the computer wouldn't cooperate with me.

Edited: 31 August 2004 18:04

Dave Man

01 September 2004 13:43 (UK time)

I've played and beaten worm wars 3 but I had to use a cheat to get past a boss level in which the boss coulnd't take damage, and after that the game wouldn't mork anymore.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

03 September 2004 04:59 (UK time)

I don't like Abuse very much, avoiding the enemies is pretty impossible in most of the levels, since the rooms are small and when he jumps he falls down faster than I can react. The things I like most about Abuse though are the Mouse Aim which is truly a reason why I like Meteor also. I also liked the Player sprite, I liked its "ready to move" action and how it could flawlessly follow the crosshair. The Player also reminded me of Predator from the movie "PREDATOR", And the enemies reminded me of the Aliens from the movie "AL|ENS".

Unfortunately Ive never gotten to play worm wars since my computer can't run on DOS, It was removed when my older brother replaced our old hard drive with a better one. The fact that it didnt come with DOS and all the Microsoft Tools was probably the reason.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use