You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 1  \  General Discussion  \  Meteor 1 source code

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Meteor 1 source code

Horfan

25 December 2013 21:41 (UK time)

Meteor is freaking awesome, and I think many aspiring programmers (including me) would learn very much from studying the code. Free knowledge for everyone! :choc

I mean, like, why not?
I discovered Meteor in 200X (Where X is something between 4 - 7)

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

James Bunting
07 May 2014 17:22 (UK time)

I am considering this under a GNU Licence. The code is in a pretty bad state by modern standards.

It is Visual C++ and Allegro 4. It is not OO.

Not sure what people think about this idea.

ParaSait

07 May 2014 18:07 (UK time)

James Bunting wrote:
I am considering this under a GNU Licence. The code is in a pretty bad state by modern standards.

IMO, no matter! There is fun and satisfaction to be had in renovating old & rusty code. :choc

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

olevonpeter

13 August 2019 07:42 (UK time)

James Bunting wrote:

That would be really nice. It could be pretty fun to dig around in and it opens up for a whole new array of mods, right?

Erik

17 August 2019 16:20 (UK time)

@olevonpeter

I agree, there are some bugs that could be fixed and a Meteor 2.5 would be awesome =)

James Bunting
29 October 2019 18:55 (UK time)

I am aiming for the following in stages...

1) Update the current versions of Mowteor, GFI, Meteor 1 and Meteor 2 C++ versions, remove the unstable multiplayer code completely and keep them free. Possibly remove the the Mowteor (not Meteor/Meteor2) map editor. Meteor 1 and 2 will be fully moddable.

2) Create updated commercial versions of Mowteor (with map editor), Meteor 1 and Meteor 2 in Unity to sell on Steam (cheaply) with proper online multiplayer. Some assets and maps would need to replaced for legal reasons. Meteor 1 and 2 will be fully moddable with Steam integration.

3) Update these forums.

4) Create 2 all-new Meteor games for Steam, a 2D sequel (M3 confirmed) and a possible 3D spin off (an open world sandbox with scripting and mission editor).

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

31 October 2019 23:33 (UK time)

Wow, sounds cool. Imagine Meteor on steam, what a time to be alive! :D Might as well make an official jbplay discord server too. B-)

I know your estimations tend to be quite a bit off :D but I wonder about when can we expect these stuff?
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

olevonpeter

19 November 2019 22:03 (UK time)

Sounds neat! l'd love to see Meteor on steam! Will all the editors be remade too? And are there any plans on releasing the original source code after the updates?

Erik

01 January 2020 23:11 (UK time)

James Bunting wrote:
I am aiming for the following in stages...

1) Update the current versions of Mowteor, GFI, Meteor 1 and Meteor 2 C++ versions, remove the unstable multiplayer code completely and keep them free. Possibly remove the the Mowteor (not Meteor/Meteor2) map editor. Meteor 1 and 2 will be fully moddable.

2) Create updated commercial versions of Mowteor (with map editor), Meteor 1 and Meteor 2 in Unity to sell on Steam (cheaply) with proper online multiplayer. Some assets and maps would need to replaced for legal reasons. Meteor 1 and 2 will be fully moddable with Steam integration.

3) Update these forums.

4) Create 2 all-new Meteor games for Steam, a 2D sequel (M3 confirmed) and a possible 3D spin off (an open world sandbox with scripting and mission editor).

That is such good news to hear James!

Meteor 2 really deserves an update, such as the ones you suggest here.

Happy 2020 everyone :D
:choc

With the great computer standards of our age, we can also increase amount of sprites, mapsizes etc with little concern. Ran out of mapsize and sprite limit in my open world M2 project haha...

Edited: 01 January 2020 23:12

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

02 January 2020 16:29 (UK time)

I ran out of sprites when i made that fractal image. :D
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

me_mantis

12 January 2020 22:51 (UK time)

sounds grand - will the unity version pull the original sprites and stuff in so you could edit from the original meteor editor?

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use