You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 1  \  General Discussion  \  How can I make my own sprites, power ups...

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: How can I make my own sprites, power ups...

DarkRain

18 March 2007 12:18 (UK time)

Please help! Can anybody tell me how to make my own sprites, power ups and enemies? Thank you!
The Dark Age is upon us! Quake 2 mapmaker.

Edited: 19 December 2010 19:17

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

19 March 2007 20:06 (UK time)

Sure i can explain the steps.

Step one:
Start - Programs - Accessories - Paint

Step two:
Draw whatever you think would be cool that would fit in meteor or you mod. Keep it small, and use shading to give your objects a little more of a 3d feel. Save the picture, name it something you can recognize. Also draw any frames that would be in it, and save them as other files.

Step three:
Start - Programs - Internet Explorer - http://www.google.com/

Step four:
Search for Irfranview (Copy and paste the name, the spelling is weird.) Download it. This program was reccomended to me by James Bunting, I still use it to this day.

Step five:
Open up Irfranview, and go to File - Open. Load up the picture you drew. Then go to File - Save as... Before saving your drawing, click on the slider that says ''Save as type:'' next to it. Make sure you select the PCX-Zsoft Paintbrush. Keep the filename the same, and save it in the same spot as your original drawing.

Step six:
Open up Meteor. Editors - Sprite Editor.

Step seven:
On the top toolbar, click on Menu - Import PCX to current Frame. Use the browser to go to where you saved your images. When you find them, be sure you select the one that has the ''.pcx'' extension. NOT THE ''.bmp'' EXTENSION. The .bmp extension will make your images larger in size, and if you have a lot of frames, your sprites can be huge in disk space.

Step eight:
If you are making multiple frames in your sprite, make sure after you Import your first image, that from there, everytime you go to menu, select ''Add new frame''. Importing a new image to the current frame will leave you with one frame, which will get you nowhere.

Step nine:
After importing all your frames, click on ''Set frame display time'' and set the time in milliseconds how long you want the current frame displayed ingame. Make sure to do so with all your frames. (Setting the display time is not necesary for a sprite with only one frame) You can use the ''Next Frame'' and ''Previous Frame'' on the toolbar, or the left and right arrow keys to jump from frame to frame. Also decide whether you want your sprite to be lit with a dynamic light, or if there are any frame/looping soundfx.

Step ten:
Save your sprite to the sprites folder (should be the default folder when saving in the sprite editor), and call it a day. =)

Glad to help.

Cheers.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 19 March 2007 20:09

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

19 March 2007 20:07 (UK time)

sprite
-you make an image that faces upwards (for example in paint)
-convert it to .pcx
-use the sprite editor
-import frames
-set display times, sounds and lights
-name it if ye want
-save the stuff you made

powerup
-use the itemdefs.txt to define your powerups (its quite self explanatory)

enemy
-goto race editor
-select sprites for still, moving, destroyed
-select type(infantry, car...)
-blahbla.... play with the options that you can set =)
-save it

thats all, i hope this helps

EDIT: nice you get 2 ways to do it in almost the same time =) though mine is a little brief
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

Edited: 19 March 2007 20:11

DarkRain

19 March 2007 20:34 (UK time)

Thank you very much both of you!
The Dark Age is upon us! Quake 2 mapmaker.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use