You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Help and Guidance  \  Worries about big maps

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Worries about big maps

Dave Man

04 June 2005 18:53 (UK time)

While working on my fourth map to my mod I noticed that there were limits to the amount of sectors and vertices that can be placed. Now first off, why is this (can it slow the game down and how does the map load it) and second off (because my city level is so large) can a level be split into two maps but save the maps temporarily so that a player can pass back and forth in between maps and not have to face enemies. Thid would allow large levels to be split up.

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

James Bunting
04 June 2005 20:59 (UK time)

What you are talking about are called "hubs", this is where you can revisit previous maps like in Hexen (or early versions of Rod).

This is not something that will be supported in M2 v1.0 but I would really like to add this feature to later versions.

Your example of an extra large city map shows where this could really win over. The clear choices at the moment are to either disregard the part you have played (split maps) or just use up all of the resources.

I thought the number of "things" that maps could contain was quite high. The map dimension limits have been increased dramatically for v1.0 but the thing counts remain pretty much unchanged.

Is there a particular element that you need increased? Like verts or sectors? Meteor 2 easily can handle more of these in terms performance, the limits are mainly imposed for memory purposes (although the impact of this may be overestimated compared to the massive memory requirements for textures and map lights).

Dave Man

05 June 2005 19:03 (UK time)

I really don't need any updates right now for I'm not working on that level yet. It's just a worry I have, if I do meet the limit I might just split up the map (but a small increase in limits wouldn't hurt.)

40oz
 Official Sponsor

25 June 2005 03:29 (UK time)

do you mean hubs as in how the entire game of Half-life 1 and 2 took place? like simple loading screens?
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Dave Man

25 June 2005 19:49 (UK time)

I'm not sure what your talking about (I never played Half Life) but if you mean a place where you could go back and fourth between parts of a level but those parts are saved when you leave them and the game only loads a part at a time, then yes.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

25 June 2005 23:28 (UK time)

yep thats exactly it. I tried to make my first m1 mod like that, but without going back, it would just cut off the level and show you the rest of the map that was cut off from the earlier map.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 25 June 2005 23:30

me_mantis

29 June 2005 02:14 (UK time)

i made a massive map 20000 by 12000 in meteor2, and after a certian number of sectors, and verts, the map started to slow down in the map editor. Whenever I moved a sector, I would have to wait a few seconds before it would be loaded into its new position. The map plays fine, even on a 600mgz computer.

Dave Man

30 June 2005 00:53 (UK time)

I'm not talking about map size, I'm talking about the amount of vertices a map has. The map I'm talking about is realtively small but it is a map of the city level I created which contained intricate building with mutiple decerations in them. Totaled toghether your talking about near if not at the limit of vertices a map has. The only option to fix that is either extend the limits or split the map and therefore the amount of vertices in half.

me_mantis

29 September 2005 18:23 (UK time)

Could there be a way to cut a mpa into peices? I may be getting close to the vert limit on a map im making.

arezey

29 September 2005 18:59 (UK time)

Have you got duplicate verticles on your map (comes usually if you move a sector)? You might get a few extra verts if you take some away.

me_mantis

29 September 2005 20:06 (UK time)

I have removed literally thousands of duplicate verts, but I still have a ton! 5600+

arezey

29 September 2005 20:14 (UK time)

Is there a possibility of giving me a screenshot?

JohnWE

30 September 2005 04:45 (UK time)

Well, I've seen a copy of this map, and it is quite grand. Split up maps where you could save instances of the maps and then come back would be quite useful, but since it's not possible, the big map is the way to go for now.

And no, no screenshots will be released of this map until it's done.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use