You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Editing  \  Basic scripts in Map editor

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Basic scripts in Map editor

40oz
 Official Sponsor

03 March 2007 14:46 (UK time)

I understand all this scripting stuff, but I hate how If i want simple things like lowering forcefields with the touch of a button, I have to go to notepad and create it from scratch using text. I can do it, but I hate doing it.

This could also have an effect on new guys who want to try meteor editing.

''hey all you coolio guys in meteor-land i just wanted to say hi and how to make a forcefield go away when i push a button''

and our response goes:

''Well you can use this script
SC_LowerForceField
{
blah
blah
blah
50 lines later
}

Now type that in a text editor in exact format, no spaces, exact text including capitals, save it in your maps folder, name it the same filename as your map, and rename the extension to .sc''

Not very friendly for new meteor users that want to make a map real quick. I just want to suggest that more simple script triggers can be allowed directly from the map editor, just as doors and required items are.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 03 March 2007 20:44

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

03 March 2007 16:03 (UK time)

sure, that would make it much easieer to make maps
under basic scripts you mean stuff like special tiles in M1?
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

40oz
 Official Sponsor

03 March 2007 20:43 (UK time)

Yeah basically. It's just that most common games, including freeware games dont require to go write every event you want to happen in text. Currently, Meteor 2 is only limited to making doors without a text editor.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Dthdealer

21 March 2007 07:52 (UK time)

doors are even bad in m2. you cant make seperate replacement textures of sounds for each one in a level. m1 was also easier when it came to message text, which m2 requires either a few lines in a script or a single line command in map editor.

Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Count your fingers. Keep trying. Make sure there's ten.

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Some day the javascript will sleep too.

arezey

23 March 2007 19:49 (UK time)

Yeah I remember that... I needed to use SC_SetSectorTexture() on all cool doors in M2M1 (which I apparently forgot to release X_X)

Edited: 23 March 2007 19:49

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

23 March 2007 22:48 (UK time)

then if you still got that, release v1.3
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

JohnnyRancid

24 March 2007 00:42 (UK time)

send to james b4 the weekend

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use