You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  General  \  Next Meteor?

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Next Meteor?

James Bunting
01 November 2004 22:36 (UK time)

Hey how did that screenshot get onto the <a href="http://www.meteormods.com">meteormods.com</a> home page? Is somebody spilling the beans before 2005 lol?

Edited: 01 November 2004 22:51

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

IMYSC2000T

02 November 2004 00:55 (UK time)

Heh! That doesn't look too shabby at all! :p

Now if only more Graphics features were added, with fog and dynamic lighting support in the 3D mode...! :p Hehe, yeah I know, I'm a spoiled little Sir Complainsalot! LOL! But seriously imgaine Half-Life 2 Graphics in that screenshot.... Man there I go day-dreaming again!

Assain

02 November 2004 02:09 (UK time)

Is that what me_mantis created, or is it your gunie pig game, or is it a photoshop (or 3D Max) dream?

Knasp

02 November 2004 10:08 (UK time)

well at least meteor 3(D) and HL2 got something in common now, they have both had a leak, hehe.

IMYSC2000T

02 November 2004 19:31 (UK time)

Knasp: That's no leak. Just a screenshot. Half-Life 2 on the other hand has "Gone Gold" and it is almost out (November 16th - exactly two weeks from today! I can't wait; I'll have my hands on the best game made to date on November 16th! So excited! )! :D

Assain: It's basically a glimpse of what the next JB game is going to look like, whether it follows the Meteor format and becomes Meteor 3 (or Meteor 3d), or turns into a new game.

James Bunting
02 November 2004 21:19 (UK time)

Well its pretty obvious that the next engine will be true 3D with all of the nice features to boot. As it will be OpenGL based it will use your fancy 3D cards too (I only have an old GF5900 Ultra 256, shame? :) ).

The question is the viewpoint. Should it be...

- 1st person? (there are loads of these games around and it kinda ruins the retro Meteor style)
- 3rd person? (like above)
- Look down 3d with tipping cam (most likely, you could always unlock the camera from time to time)

Assain

02 November 2004 21:48 (UK time)

I like the third one. I mean, i REALLY wouldnt be Meteor Unless it was top down view right?

Knasp

02 November 2004 21:54 (UK time)

i agree with Assain, the third one gives the meteor true feeling if anyone.And im also waiting for HL2, it's just that i couldn't stop myself from posting that.

IMYSC2000T

03 November 2004 01:03 (UK time)

Change is good, Dunkey! (That's a quote by the way, I'm not calling you people "Dunkeys"! ).

Anywho, I think it'd be good to have te default view as "classic", but also give the option of 3rd and 1st person views in the future. If you really wanna think about it, Duke Nukem 3D then also "ruined" the "feel" of the classic Duke Nukem games, that were side-scrolling shooters.... But Duke Nukem 3D was a hit and it's famous for kicking ass ni 3D....

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

03 November 2004 14:21 (UK time)

With hardware acceleration, might as well boost the framerate to a smoooth 50 or 60.

Assain

03 November 2004 20:54 (UK time)

Offical sponsor? What the heck is that O.o?

James Bunting
04 November 2004 00:23 (UK time)

That means he made a <a href="http://www.jbgames.com/site/donate/">donation here</a>. Thanks for donation, its the first one! (it means a lot)

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

04 November 2004 14:14 (UK time)

Being modder-friendly deserves kudos. Ironically, I haven't even touched mapping / modding.

Assain

04 November 2004 21:17 (UK time)

LOL (no offense!). This is your first donation in 5 years? hehehe. Also, how much did you donate?

IMYSC2000T

04 November 2004 21:44 (UK time)

I'm curious as to how much he actually donated....

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

05 November 2004 01:06 (UK time)

It'll be announced at the official M2-patron's annual gourmet kegger pool-party.

maximiliank92

05 November 2004 19:59 (UK time)

It's a big shame that I've ran out of money...

James Bunting
05 November 2004 20:13 (UK time)

This is no place to discuss paid donation amounts. Obviously donations can be any amount and can even be repeated.

There are no guidelines whatsoever on donations but you can buy a good retail game for £30 so you would expect to donate a fair bit less than that. But if you are a rich oil empire guy then you can donate as much as you like :). A student could donate just a couple of pounds, it all goes into making games.

Edited: 05 November 2004 20:15

James Bunting
05 November 2004 20:14 (UK time)

People could of course help fund this server (it costs around $79 + TX taxes) every month. You can buy say something a gig of web space for around $10 a month. Either way it all helps out.

me_mantis

08 November 2004 15:48 (UK time)

I can finally post again!
Any thoughts on the latest batch of pics?
Can anyone tell me how these were created?
If you think the units in the pics look like the meteor2 units, you are very close.

Assain

08 November 2004 20:58 (UK time)

These pics were created with 3D Studio Max, or photoshop (or like program). Am i close?

TO JB: For meteor 3, consider what the ppl of the first Grand Theft Auto did! Its top down, but all of the buildings, and objects are 3D (except for cars and ppl). The camera zooms out when going faster, and is more close up when going slower. You could incorperate this into M3 somehow, like the more range with the gun, the more the camera zooms out. Also, consider a "bonocular" item that shrouds everything around the player except for the player's FOV, but the camera zooms out alot. What do you think?

PS: GTA is avalible for free at www.gamehippo.com, if you want to see what i mean with 3d eniviornments and such.

James Bunting
08 November 2004 23:06 (UK time)

My copy of GTA is for sale on eBay lol.

James Bunting
08 November 2004 23:07 (UK time)

I reckon he drew those pictures using MS Paint, hes a bit nifty with the mouse?

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

09 November 2004 05:35 (UK time)

pffft, my solo infantry laughs at your airship formation.

me_mantis

09 November 2004 22:29 (UK time)

Your infantry? Could you send me a copy of it in .bmp .jpg , or .ics format? I'd like to see how much the formation of planes like it.=P
p.s. nice job w/ the shader

Edit:
No, i havn't paid a few grand for 3dsmax, and if i was using it, the terrain would not be flat. Maybe ill put a 3dsmax pic up in april.

Does anyone else think they have screenshots from the next big jbgame?
Contact me via the link on meteormods.com

Edited: 09 November 2004 22:33

James Bunting
10 November 2004 10:30 (UK time)

Yes, HL2 could be a problem for M2's development. I may become Mr Freeman for a while.

IMYSC2000T

17 November 2004 04:24 (UK time)

Heh yeah no kidding. I think that even applies for financial reasons. The full-blown Half-Life package (initially available - since this morning) costs $100 Canadian, which is damn-near insanity. I can't even afford to donate for the development of Meteor games, let alone buy that! :S

Knasp

17 November 2004 21:27 (UK time)

I take a brake in playing Meteor 2 to play HL2.Best 1stperson shooter ever.Mr.Freeman is away for the moment, please don't leave a message after the beep.

IMYSC2000T

27 November 2004 00:57 (UK time)

Heheh! So very true. Half-Life 2 is gonna revolutionize gaming. Even the screenshots are good enough to leave you absolutely floored.

Assain

28 November 2004 21:53 (UK time)

Just wait till "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" comes out >:D. Look it up on GameSpy.com for a review and the life-like screenshots of it (hint: graphics are "The Polar Express" [a movie] quality and it has EXTREMELY detailed landscapes, AI, and ability to pretty much do what you want). The bad part is that it'll prolly be like $100+ when it comes out :(.

LavaBall

30 November 2004 06:10 (UK time)

Is that Meteor 3D that is shit even duke nukem manhattan prject which is old has greater graphics then that i hate that MT3 for 2 reasons

1)Meteor is supposed to be top-down and you will remove its ambience with FPS

2)Ugly Graphics makes the game less enjoyment.

IMYSC2000T

25 December 2004 01:33 (UK time)

Lava: Those are extremely harsh comments for the test of the Alpha of the Graphics engine of a game (the development of which hasn't even really been started) still in progress, so calm down and be patient. JB will make Meteor 3 (or Meteor 3D - or whatever he decides to call it) kick major ass. I can almost guarantee that. Just look at JB's development history and record. Besides, the supposed "First Person view" you are talking about isn't even going to be implemented (as far as I know). That is only a screenshot of what the 3D renderer looks like at this point. The graphics engine will probably surpass ZDooMGL, and Build and Polymost in terms of graphics quality (given that JB said he would implement nifty GL acceleration and DX features). And the view will probably be top-down by default, with any other methods of viewing the game to be implemented (at best) as an option. By the way, Duke Nukem Manhattan Project isn't that old. I think you meant to say "Duke Nukem 3D" which is much older, both relatively and literally.

Assain: Yes, I've seen the new "The ElderScrolls IV: Oblivion" screenshots. I'd also seen older ones that were supposedly "leaked" long before most other people knew there would BE another ElderScrolls game. What is realy impressive about the new graphics engine in that game is the way high polygon counts won't detract from frame-rate performance, and the game runs almost silky smooth (A.F.A.I.H.R.) even with scenes such as the lush forest being rendered. It's very promising and looks very lifelike in that sense. But the graphics also lack a certain "realism".... It looks too 3D and fake, in comparison to Half-Life 2. Granted, both are great looking games, but I couldn't fool my GrandMother into thinking that the "Oblivion" screenshots are "real pictures", whereas when my Mom saw a screenshot of Half-Life 2 on the PC screen, she actually asked me, "where is that? That's a nice-looking Picture...." !!!! Yes, Half-Life 2 has that much realism and potential to fool even the most educated and modern person into believing it is real.

Edited: 25 December 2004 01:39

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use