fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

09 October 2004 16:02 (UK time)

I've always liked top-down infantry 8-way scrollers

Favorite #4: Gladiator for DOS by FSgames
Favorite #3: Shock Troopers 1 for Neo-Geo
Favorite #1: C-dogs for DOS by Ronny Wester
http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/game/174

What games got you hooked on the Meteor genre?
What aspects of them might be good in Meteor2?

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

Raaka-arska

10 October 2004 09:58 (UK time)

Then I suggest you go and download Tapan kaikki from www.errorfree.eu.org

Assain

10 October 2004 14:33 (UK time)

Nothing like it =D!!

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

11 October 2004 04:18 (UK time)

Tapan kaikki is graphically awesome.
M2 has superior controls and environments.
I really want wall-shrouding in M2.

http://fuzinavl.tripod.com/wallshroud2.JPG
http://fuzinavl.tripod.com/wallshroud1.JPG
http://fuzinavl.tripod.com/wallshroud0.JPG

Assain

11 October 2004 21:55 (UK time)

I made a thread earlier about it, JB said its a possibility for M2

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

13 October 2004 01:24 (UK time)

Jb told me he saw "wall hack" limitations as one of the joys of 2D games. I get more satisfaction without "wall hacking". If enemy reaction times were more realistic, I wouldn't be forced to cheat with the rocket launcher.

James Bunting
13 October 2004 19:31 (UK time)

Yeah non wall hack damage would need a bunch of vector code rather than just a simple bounding box check. Its a lot of work to get it right.

So how about Into the Eagles Nest? I bet nobody here remembers that. Its pretty like Meteor really.

<a href='http://zx-maps.wz.cz/map.php?id=IntoEaglesNest&sort=0&part=3&ath=' target='_blank'>I found this image which will give you a good idea...</a>.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

14 October 2004 22:26 (UK time)

Into the eagle's nest looks like meteor, but plays nothing like Meteor.

My other favorites:
super smash tv. (snes, gawd i wish 4 players)
gauntlet (original), my very first 8-way shooter

Useless suprisingly-short mega-list:
Alien syndrome(sucks), Assault plus, Asylum, Aurail, Battle Rangers, Bloody Wolf, C-dogs(dos), Caliber 50, chrono soldier, Cloak & Dagger, Commando, Crater Raider, Crazy Cop, Cybattler, Dark Seal 1&2, Demon (vectrex), Desert assault, Dogou Souken, Escape from the planet of the robot monsters, Food Fight, Gauntlet 1&2, Gladiator(dos), Garyo Retsuden, GundHara, Into the Eagle's Nrst(dos), Ikari Warriors 1-4, Mercs, Michael Jackson's Moonwalker, Nova 2001, The Real Ghostbusters, Shackled, Shock troopers 1&2, sinistar?, smash tv, speed rumbler, steel force, Tapan kaikki(win), Tank busters, Time Pilot, Total Carnage (smashtv sequel?), Trick Trap, Valtric, Vanguard 2, Victory Road, Vindicators, Wizard Fire?, Wizard of wor (no)

Thomas Jensen

18 October 2004 21:15 (UK time)

Whoa, that's some list you got there, it will take me all night to try them all out.. :p I will recomment Nortium by Wille Mönkkönen, the grafics are nicely polished and the gameplay is quite originale (allthough maybe a little hard to get into at first)...

Here's the link: http://www.monkkonen.net/notrium.php

Oh, and by the way, I'm not new on the forum. It's just been a really long time since my last post.. :)

Edited: 18 October 2004 21:16

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

20 October 2004 18:55 (UK time)

I tried notrium. Great engine/art/controls, but too realistic for my tastes.
Mageslayer (directX) - pretty cool, but the controls totally annoyed me.

Edited: 20 October 2004 18:55

Thomas Jensen

20 October 2004 19:55 (UK time)

I entirely agree with you on Mageslayer, it's full of potential, but the controls totally wreck it...

Agent Nightfire

21 October 2004 00:29 (UK time)

I enjoy CDOGS a lot. I also enjoy Alien Carnage aka. Halloween Harry because it is free and it looks great. I enjoy things that are sidscrolling. But one of the best sidescrolling games waz Metroid. (the 1st one; I think that is the title yes/no/maybe so?) Just how it waz "different" in its enviorments and its enemies totally sucked me into it.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

21 October 2004 04:15 (UK time)

Actually, I wasn't including sidescrollers but...
Super Metroid is excellent. It's powerup system is perfect for an adventuring game. Unlike RPG stat-builders, player skill is not ignored. Give me different tools and weapons over time to defeat unique monsters (& puzzles) in unique ways. My deadliness is the player skill that grows as I play, not a character level # that sits in ram. B.t.w., Zelda III uses the same formula.

Edited: 21 October 2004 04:37

me_mantis

26 October 2004 21:25 (UK time)

My all time favorite game was Command&Conquer Red Alert.
Free ware fav(besides meteor) is a tie between
Slugs 2(allegro.cc),
Liquid war(www.ufoot.org),
and DIE die.sf.net
although die is not out yet, its still really cool(i think).

Assain

29 October 2004 00:29 (UK time)

RA is AWSOME, eventhough i got bored of it after beating it (sorta hehe) and the fact that Westwood Online never worked, but i used GS instead. The mods for that game were (some of them) pretty sweet, especally Tiberium Destiny (one of the few mods out there that had a full campaing). Unfortunatly, RA2 isnt freeware (yet!) and ive been wanting that game for a LOONGGG time (think in years, just never had the energy to actually get it)

Knasp

29 October 2004 17:22 (UK time)

RA was one of my favourite games, RA2 was also cool.I'd like to see RA3.

Assain

29 October 2004 20:58 (UK time)

Threre is- its called Counterstrike or Renegade(i think). Even though technically its not part of the RA series, but it is still C&C. ANYWAYS the graphics for this half year old game is VERY good and it is about $49.99 in the US (last i checked). You should also check out MechCommander 2 (unless there is a higher game out in the MC series), if your a MechWarrior fan or a fan of BattleTech novels or the game.

Thomas Jensen

30 October 2004 01:16 (UK time)

I have C&C Renegade, and I must say that it was very dissapointing. It's basiclly C&C in first-person, your playing as the GDI commando unit from C&C. It sounds pretty cool right? Unfortunaly, it Is'nt, the gameplay is very monotome. The graphics are pale and boring, and the style of the envoriment is very cartoon-like. Trust me, you don't want this game...

IMYSC2000T

30 October 2004 08:46 (UK time)

Perhaps a recreation of "Renegade" for the Source engine (the Half-Life 2 engine) would do the plot and theory of Renegade some justice....

Thomas Jensen

30 October 2004 12:58 (UK time)

Heh, now that would be cool... They should use the original C&C artwork though, (see the old cut scenes for reference)... By the way, is there a place to download the cut scenes? (And the theme music for that matter)...

Agent Nightfire

30 October 2004 17:39 (UK time)

Another kool game for free is Brutalo Deluxe. It is a great 2-D kill all deathmatch. Easy controls, great fun, lot's of blood, great sound fx, awesome "stick people" animation, addicting, and an assortment of kool (standard) guns makes this game on my BIG list of my "FAVORITE" free games. Check it out because it is awesome. --------> You can download it from www.allegro.cc/depot/new-index.php and then click on Recent Updates. You should see it there.

Dave Man

30 October 2004 19:54 (UK time)

I found a game just like the one your talking about, it has stick soldier's fighting in an all out deathmatch or team based play, plus you can pick up tons of weapons on the way, it's called stick soldiers (prefably version 2), and you can download it at sticksoldiers.tk. My other favorite freeware games are meteor 2 and 1(of course) and hellfighter, Silver Knights, tepodon, tepoman, N,this japenese game called 48K, and this C&C type game called Rapid Ariel Deployment(RAD).

Edited: 30 October 2004 19:56

IMYSC2000T

31 October 2004 01:30 (UK time)

Knowlife: Umm, I'm not sure if there is a place where you can download only and specifically the cutscenes, but I guess you can always get the game and rip them out, or you could try some file-sharing apps to see if you can find any on there (though the chances of that are probably slim).

Thomas Jensen

31 October 2004 09:40 (UK time)

How do I rip things like cut scenes out of a game? Is that even possible?

Dave Man

31 October 2004 17:11 (UK time)

Just use the Print Screen Button to save the image on the screen at any time. Then open a new image file and hit the past button.

IMYSC2000T

31 October 2004 18:37 (UK time)

Dave Man: Umm no actually that wouldn't do it. That only captures a screenshot, and it's not even going to work for most games because the majority of commercial games change the video mode and use certain drivers to show what is being shown on the screen that the internal Windows capture wouldn't be compatible with. If you try to capture a screenshot of a cutscene in, say, "Dark Forces: Jedi Knight", the resulting image that you paste into, say, Microsoft Paint would have messed up colouration (and sometimes it would show up as mostly black) because of the different video mode and because the colour pallette used is different from the Windows colour pallette. And even if it did work, it wouldn't capture the entire video (most cutscenes are videos) but just a screenshot of it.

Knowlife: Depending on what game you're talking about, most often it is possible to find the main "pack" that the game data is held (compressed in) and try to find a program on the net that deal with that file-type. This can often be done more easily for games that are more popular. Once (if) you've extracted all the data files out of the "data pack" you can look around in the different file-types and judging by the file-type, file size, name, or sometimes even by their icons, you should be able to tell which files are videos or cutscene files.... If you have trouble doing this for a particular game, drop me a line at "i_m_y_s_c_2000_t@yahoo.com" (obviously without the quotations) and I'll try to get the game and open it up and rip out the video. Of course, even when that's all done, you'll still have to find a program that converts the video to normal formats (if you want to be able to watch it in Windows). It might be a long, tedious process, but sometimes it's worth it, just like it was for me with "Total Annihilation".

Edited: 31 October 2004 18:59

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use