You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  General  \  James, cool new things in M2.

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: James, cool new things in M2.

Agent Nightfire

23 August 2004 13:55 (UK time)

James, what do you think are the greatest new things in M2?

Edited: 23 August 2004 13:55

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

James Bunting
23 August 2004 14:35 (UK time)

Well this is an easy one to answer but let me just say that M2 is not designed to be that unlike M1 in play style, its not a whole new concept.

So here is what I think is better.

1. Sectors
Sectors look better and allow for much more complex level design including improved detail and hills (using shaded textures).

2. Scripting
The scripting is not supposed to re-invent the game. Instead it provides control on an as required basis allowing for an amazing element of control over your missions (you being the level designer). Scripts can do many things including messing around with objects and sectors during the game. Scipts are written in C with all of the standard C funcionality (variables and functions etc).

3. Waypoints
Waypoint tracks allow objects to be bound to them. Using waypoints you can make things move along predefined courses, objects can be bound/unbound at game-time using script.

4. General Arhitecture
Sprites and units have been merged into objects (in terms of map editing) making them easier to work with. As all objects are treated in the same way by the game this means that you can script/waypoint static objects too.

There are also a number of similar improvements, the whole game just works better as the structure of things is more thought out.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

23 August 2004 16:25 (UK time)

1. I'm not 'completely' fond of textures as tiles can make the game look more detailed. Sectors are just easy to use. (making certain types of shapes and walls aren't very easy to do with tiles)

2. Scripting is going to be great (As soon as I figure out how to use it!) But It will be able to make well-based missions. As in M1 you just had to get keys and items, and press the exit switch and also kill a bunch of guys on the way.

3. Waypoints and Scripting are pretty much hand and hand. But it works a lot better when you want someone to guard somewhere. If they are woken up they'll wander around all over the map. In M1 you had to put obstacles to prevent him from walking away.

4. Merging units and sprites into objects is better than leaving them on their own. It also allows them to have different qualities.

Ill say what I like the most about M2.

1. Weapon bullet sprays
When you have a Minigun or some sort of Assault Rifle when you fire, its not always in a straight direction. Now it kind of spreads out a little making it harder to get a direct shot all the time.

2.Waypoints/Scripting
(See #3 above.)

3.Switching Player objects
The support to easily switch objects without having to go to another level is pretty nice. Now it will allow the support of getting into vehicles and using the weapons that come with it. It's Amazing how the little things can mean so much!

Well that's my view of whats nice on M2.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

James Bunting
23 August 2004 22:56 (UK time)

Yes sectors are much easier but let me point this out....

You will be able to align texture offsets in sectors meaning that textures can be nudged to fit. This basically means that you could treat textures as tiles in rectangular sectors if you see what I mean.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

24 August 2004 20:59 (UK time)

But I have to say, Tiles do make the game look like it has more detail. I don't know if I'll be able to make the same computers and things with textures as I did with tiles. Then again i can make a whole load of objects.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Agent Nightfire

24 August 2004 22:09 (UK time)

I have no idea what is better (texures or tiles) because the beta is not out. Don't rush James because rushing will hurt you in the long run.

P.S. People who are waiting AND pacing I have a good idea for you. Go to gamehippo.com and download a game of your choice so you don't have to keep on asking James for the beta.

me_mantis

24 August 2004 22:37 (UK time)

I, speaking from expeirence, must admit that...,
<b>SECTORS RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<b/>
I send a few screenies to explain myself.

Was this really FBI?
(no longer an active user)

26 August 2004 06:59 (UK time)

Cool

Agent Nightfire

30 August 2004 19:05 (UK time)

Ok me_mantis I believe you. :)

40oz
 Official Sponsor

30 August 2004 21:39 (UK time)

Sectors make outdoor scenes easier to make as tiles are easier to make buildings.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Was this really FBI?
(no longer an active user)

30 August 2004 21:47 (UK time)

Thats right.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use