You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Suggestions  \  Unit's should do more things

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Unit's should do more things

Dave Man

06 June 2005 13:34 (UK time)

Wouldn't it be neat if AI units woul dbe able to do more things.

Here's a list I compiled that would make these units more interesting:

1) They should be able to borad vechiles and use them
2) They should be able to pick up wepaons
3) An idea but maybee they should have a limited amount of ammo, I mean, who like it when a shotgun guy keeps shooting 100's of rounds.
4) they should work in groups and be able to surrond enemies

Any other suggestions?

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

Armageddon1212

06 June 2005 20:05 (UK time)

some vehicles should be left to only the player thoguh but if he can he can steal a vehicle or kill the guy going for it.

Assain

06 June 2005 21:46 (UK time)

I thought this was M2 not GTA, i must be in the wrong forum :)!

mike323
06 June 2005 23:45 (UK time)

Units will probably have a reloading system to make it fair in the final version. Any words on this James?

ZiL
12 June 2005 04:26 (UK time)

Maybe there should be ammo pickup points, like boxes that are binded to certain units that will go there to get ammo if they ran out of it. The ammo would be endless for enemy units, but there should be a limit for the player.

James Bunting
12 June 2005 12:52 (UK time)

Pick up points are a pretty neat idea for computer controlled objects. You could cripple them by taking them out. Then you could simply punch them all to death lol. This may be something worth thinking about for later on.

And yes reloads now work for computer controlled objects.

Dave Man

12 June 2005 19:08 (UK time)

Yeah!!! Now the players have a fair advantage to units but how do you determine how much ammo a unit has and how it gains more?

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

13 June 2005 03:48 (UK time)

Define something logically, a computer can do it.

The trick is to do it in a timely fashion.

Dave Man

14 June 2005 01:43 (UK time)

Okay...

Using random variables and perctanges the computer creates a set of variable that determines the AI's type and willingness to do something. The types and things a AI will do are listed below:

What a AI does:
Pick up ammo-either from collection points or from items in the area the units will do this, more so when they are out or close to being out of ammo.

Guard and area-basically what I call "Camp" and "Acc", two vars to this concept. First off Camp + Acc =Guard which is determined at a beginning of a level. Using Randimization to determine which var gets the most of Guard. Camp is the tedency of a Unit to not move while Acc is the tedency of a unit to patrol an area away from a desinated point.

Explore-the tedency for a unit to run about, basically what the normal unit does now in M2.

Attack-not a variable but an instance. When the unit comes into contact or sees a enemy it will attack it. Now if we really want to go in depth we can split this into two vars "Ofn" and "Dfn" or Offense and Defense. Ofn + Dfn =Attack. Now more Ofn make the unit want to go towards the player untill it has a clear shot. Dfn makes the unit hide and attack.

Using a randimization system and pre-determined variables you can then make a unit have all different types of AI patterns. With this system you could even have different personalities and attack patterns that differ from unit to unit.

Any question?

Now lets talk about the differnt types of AI's that can be acheived with this system (or AI types that should be selected in the map editor):

Greedy-the unit has a high pick-up-ammo tedency with a high explore rate causing it to traverse the map in seacrh of things, this unit does not like to guard.

Guard-this unit will no move, and will guard a area

Patrol-Like guard but the unit both moves around and stays put, meaning high Acc and a medium high Camp levels. This unit also has high Dfn patterns.

Random-the unit is complety randomized.

Attacker-the unit likes to go head first into attacks (high Ofn levels but it also will have high Dfn levels so that it can protect itself) and likes to explore areas. This unit will pick up ammo when necessary.

Do or Die-this unit will also attack head first but it will not portect itself or pick up ammo. It will go and find a enemy with on concern for itself.

Now any more questions?

Edited: 14 June 2005 01:49

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

14 June 2005 02:48 (UK time)

that's good. I bet the greedy one drops a LOT of loot. :D

I like your attacker/assault idea. Within the weapons range radius of the player, there's usually objects of cover.
priority#1: keep within weapons range
priority#2: move in a random direction for a random amount of time,
then shoot at player,
then if there is cover near, attempt to hide behind it relative to the player for a random amount of time.
priority#3: pick up ammo
priority#4: wander

Don't forget to specify a required time range for each behavior type, or else units will be very jittery.

One of my old favorites <a href="http://www.orcsoftware.com/~ronny/C-Dogs.html"> C-dogs </a> lets you specify the behavior percentages for enemy types in the editor. I don't think it lets you specify behavior time ranges though.

Edited: 14 June 2005 03:14

Dave Man

14 June 2005 23:43 (UK time)

Well this AI theory really doesn't use timing, it's more priority based. The unit will follow a certain set of rules when in range of the enemy and another when it is doing nothing. It will pick up ammo and such when it needs it and it will either explore or guard for the rest of its free time. Realitviley simple and would require no timing code. If have Warzone 2100, a good Comand and Conquer type game and now free for anyonw to download, and you look into the AI files which are aviable in the free version you can view an extremly effective AI code that opperates like this one. This code also doesn't use timing vairables which I think make units too predictable.

mike323
15 June 2005 00:17 (UK time)

Hmmm...

I like the new system, and I have two more things to add to it.

AI should change speed according to its status. Also, I see an advantage from the magic of waypoints.

1 - When the unit sees the player, make the unit go 30% slower, and spawn a waypoint on the player
2 - When the player goes out of the units sight line, the waypoint on the player stays where the player last was when he went out of sight. The unit is now changed to a faster speed and bound to the waypoint.
3- When the unit reaches the waypoint:
If he sees the player the process starts over from #1
If he doesn't see the player his AI is set to Roaming (or explore). His speed is slower now, because he is wandering.

<b>ALSO</b>
Can we please make an option for powerups to be completely still and act as graphics? Therefore, the options would be:
- Rotating
- Swiveling
- Still

Edited: 15 June 2005 00:20

Dave Man

16 June 2005 01:51 (UK time)

With the still thing, wouldn't it then be kind of hard to tell a sprite of a powerup from the real thing?

mike323
16 June 2005 05:52 (UK time)

Wouldn't it be hard to tell an M16 lying on the ground from anything else?

(Yes it would, and thats the point, more realistic.)

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

16 June 2005 16:13 (UK time)

I choose good gameplay to realism.

For example: Turning off all lights in the room and adjusting my monitor to be super bright just to play a night level is annoying.

Assain

16 June 2005 17:52 (UK time)

Well, yes, but it would be the modders decion. It would stay just like it is right now for M2, and all the other mods out there could have the spinning/moving powerups, but say, if someone (*cough**couhg**me*) were making a mod that involved alot of things as being real as possible, having still powerups woulnt be a bad idea.

Or, lets say a still Pwrup had some sort of marker on it that would distinguish it as a powerup.

mike323
16 June 2005 21:33 (UK time)

Or maybe something like "Bond Sense" from James Bond: Everything or Nothing where he can distinguish things in which he can interact with.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

17 June 2005 04:35 (UK time)

Compromise:
anything below 50% you cannot know (blacks out)
anything 50% or higher you know about in varying degrees.

mike323
17 June 2005 18:22 (UK time)

huh?

Try that again

40oz
 Official Sponsor

22 June 2005 06:04 (UK time)

i agree with the still property, I am also working on making the powerup sprite and the hud sprite different, making the powerup much smaller, just slightly bigger than the main character so it is still visible. I dont like the "Medium-Tank" sized weapons on the ground that wiggle around alot.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Dave Man

25 June 2005 20:07 (UK time)

Ditto, I did that with my mod in M2. Also, if you want a more real like mod why not change the pick up sound. I mean the current sound sounds like a drop of water or something. Use a sound like that in Tomb Raider, the "a-ha" sound or something like that.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

26 June 2005 20:41 (UK time)

Agh thats whative been working on. I am making a patch that changes all the powerup sounds, food sounds like a "CHOMP!" sound, guns sound like reloads, and what not. no one better beat me to it.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Assain

27 June 2005 19:17 (UK time)

How would that work? Considering in-game as of now (unless your version supports it) you can only have one powerup sound

James Bunting
27 June 2005 23:51 (UK time)

Actually you change the sound in the Power Up Editor (part of the Items Editor). Meteor 1 does not allow this but Meteor 2 does.

James.

Mod_Maker

01 July 2005 16:24 (UK time)

Oh James you old dog... xD

40oz
 Official Sponsor

06 July 2005 15:35 (UK time)

yeah, if you pick up God Mode Shades it will play a sound other than that slurping sound of picking up other items. It sounds kinda like a church.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use