You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Suggestions  \  Weapon option

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Weapon option

40oz
 Official Sponsor

29 March 2005 00:07 (UK time)

An option that stops the weapon position completely when firing until the fire button is released. In other words, you cannot move the weapon while firing. It is not exactly the most important thing but It would be pretty interesting.

Another type of fire is to use a beam type of attack (not firing projectiles but just a beam of light and draining ammo as you hold on the fire button.) This would be good for making Rail guns and something similar to the Sentinel Beam in Halo 2.

I would like at least one of these options in Meteor, either one sould allow me to make a beam weapon.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

29 March 2005 16:04 (UK time)

Locking player rotation while firing would be great for people who don't use mouse aiming. Shock Troopers 1 & 2 for neo-geo did that.

For a beam, could you set bullet inaccuracy to zero and change the sound to wonh wonh wonh?

Dave Man

02 April 2005 02:42 (UK time)

Well if you do that then when you turn you get a tracking effect...the bullets that have already fired keep going in there orginal direction...but if you have the weapon just fire a beam of light, the entire beam will follow the track of the weapon.

On another note, for beam weapons, there should also be a light build up before it fires, like a increasing ball of light in front of the barrell that dispates when it fires.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

02 April 2005 15:03 (UK time)

No, I mean fire like the minigun, but have the
"bullet trail" be blue/green,
zero inaccuracy (so it fires straight) and a
new sound effect for firing.

mike323
02 April 2005 23:03 (UK time)

Yeah, then we could have an extremely high power tank cannon.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

02 April 2005 23:50 (UK time)

(Dr. Evil voice)
Yes, thee "lay-zerr"

40oz
 Official Sponsor

03 April 2005 06:42 (UK time)

lol this "lay-zer' will fire at the center core and trigger all the volcanoes in the world to spurt liquid hot "Mag-maa"

Err wait, they used a nuclear warhead to do that.

And by the way, how would i be able to set the color of the bullet trail? and could I make the bullet trail wider? rather than it looking like a tiny laserpointer like the watch laser on the james bond movies.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 03 April 2005 06:44

Dave Man

04 April 2005 13:42 (UK time)

Well you can just make the projectile sprite wider so it looks like a larger beam... and funzvil I understand you stance but you might not understand mine. I'm talking about a actual beam weapon that shoots a pulse of solid light and then fades away per shot. Not a large laser cannon that shoots a huge trail.

Another neat projectile effect would be a energy weapon that fires out a lighting type bullet. The "Lighting" would automatically hit the closet target and then move when that target is destoryed or it could be used as a like that energy gun you find in the Matrix movies.

me_mantis

04 April 2005 16:08 (UK time)

I think it would be cool to have a weapon that had to charge before it shot, not after it shot. a bullet line that faded away would also be cool. That make quite a few different types of weapons doesn't it.

#1 projectile (input speed)
#2 Bullet (input trail type)
#3 Charging laser (charge time/sprite)
#4 tracking (input range sensitivity)
#5 Mine (trigger radius)
#6 Time bomb (time in seconds or max settible length)
#7 Remote Explosives (remote range)
#8 Script style (what script to run on effected objects) i.e. SC_SetAIType(x, NOAI)

and yes, options to change trail type, not move while firing and if the spray goes down when you stand still.

Edited: 04 April 2005 16:14

40oz
 Official Sponsor

06 April 2005 02:11 (UK time)

I actually planned on mentioning that part about charging weapons before they fire today. That would of been great in M1 with the ion spreader and the fusion cannon, since they sound like they are charging before they fire.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Zable Fahr

06 April 2005 07:52 (UK time)

I second the tracking idea. A homing or tracking weapon would be pretty awesome (and would be a blast to dodge if enemies use it on you). A homing weapon should either target only the nearest object to the crosshairs, or the nearest object to the projectile. I'm personally siding with the former. Even cooler is if it targets the object closest to the crosshairs, BUT if you move the crosshairs even after you launch, the projectile updates its target!

An interesting idea is a weapon that creates an object; let's say you have a Mega Slime enemy, and rather than attacking, it spawns new smaller Slimes. Basically what it would do is that it would have a weapon that shoots a projectile, and when the projectile hits something or reaches the end of its range, it turns into a new object, automatically on the same side as the object that fired it. Other uses would be some sort of robot deployment device, which the player would fire to create a robot that acts on its own. If homing weapons aren't implemented, something similar could be implemented using this system.

Dave Man

06 April 2005 13:39 (UK time)

You mean something that when launched would follow the player around and protect it by either commiting suicide and taking a shot for the player or just shooting other enemies that come too close?

Zable Fahr

07 April 2005 01:30 (UK time)

It would depend on the AI; generally, the projectile just creates a new object, and maybe the projectile also determines the default AI for it. So it wouldn't necessarily follow the player around. Using the current AIs that we have (roaming and guarding), you could for instance have a weapon that places a turret or a weapon that makes a robot that acts like any other allied object. Heck, you could have a deployable hovercraft weapon of some sort that makes a vehicle with no starting AI at all so you can ride it.

So yeah. Many possibilities :-)

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

07 April 2005 02:31 (UK time)

Homing missles should follow the crosshairs.
(steer through buildings) ;)

Dave Man

07 April 2005 13:30 (UK time)

The homming missles should also then have a large turning radiaus so you can't fly them through everywhere. You also shouldn't be able to move the character or for that matter see the character allowing you to be hit while flying the missle. This would be simmilar to the sentinal in NightFire.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use