You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Suggestions  \  Enemy Behavior

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Enemy Behavior

rellarkbew
23 January 2005 19:09 (UK time)

Hello everybody! I am a meteor gamer from days back, and just recently I discovered that M1 was updated (many times!) and that there was a SEQUEL coming out! Naturally, I downloaded the update and the new beta. I was delighted to see the improvements made and just want to say to JB, bravo. People like you make the world a better place. :)

Annnyyyyywayyy... an idea:

How about having AI unit behavior such as how courageous they are, how skilled with a gun they are, and stuff like that. If they have like low health and are cowardly, they would try to run away from the player to cover. Like wise, if they're smart they would use attack tactics that involve cover... also for the scientists and such, if you injur them they wouldn't just stand there, but try to run away and save themselves...

Well, there it is.

8∙Þ

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

24 January 2005 01:34 (UK time)

Actually, the sequel to M1 has already come out, a while ago! I made it, Meteor WW3. Make sure you download the Mod WW3, not the map WW3 on the maps page. M2 is also out, but its only a beta, yet it is still fun to play.

New AI would be nice, but it will just make M2 take longer to let out. Maybe making scientists and civs run away from gunfire would be nice. But courageous, and weak AI just isn't worth it.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Zable Fahr

24 January 2005 02:00 (UK time)

Not exactly what you're asking for, but what you could do is:

Say you have a group of 5 civilians in one area. You could set up an OnObjectDie event on each of them which causes the other 4 to run away to some certain waypoint. The effect will be that when the player kills one of them, the rest flee to that waypoint, which you could place away from the area.

Right now waypoint AI is kind of weird and if they bunch up or run into something then they get stuck, but hopefully that will change.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

24 January 2005 15:07 (UK time)

LUA scripting for AI would be sweet.

We could have seperate scripts for each personality.
That's just the beginning. In fact, the possibilities are huge.

Of course there would have to be various read-only "awareness" lists available to the LUA AI script:
1. objects visible: enemies, vehicles, friends, objects
2. ? non-visible audible sound events ?
3. terrain info
4. pointer to self: weapons available, my_object_type#, ...

An option to ignore the default behavior for specific commander's instructions would be good to simulate unruly / higher ranked actors.

like command: "regroup" off
or command: "flee" off

maybe for M3 ?

Edited: 25 January 2005 17:37

40oz
 Official Sponsor

25 January 2005 00:02 (UK time)

Yah it would be nice if objects wouldn't be stopped when they run into something during theyre waypoint, if only they could walk around the object or sector they bump into.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

IMYSC2000T

25 January 2005 09:46 (UK time)

Ah oh we're entering the realm of advanced AI I think...! ;P :D

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

25 January 2005 17:33 (UK time)

besides the "awareness" lists for input, you need some output methods:

1. move_to(x,y); //x=1=go x=0=stop y=0=forward y=1=backward (for steering vehicles)
2. turn(+-angle); //for vehicles
3. fire(x,y);
4. command_local_troops("name";); //for commanders (maybe object "rank"# ? )
5. call_lua_script("name";);
6. call_script("name";);

move_to would not solve any pathfinding or obstacle avoidance. That is up to the script creator.

Most mappers/modders would simply choose the personality type name for each unit. The reason I like this method is so that people can make custom AI without recompiling. Also, AI is difficult. LUA would take a great burden off of JB, if there are experts out there willing to program AI for m3.

It's as simple or as complex as you want it to be. Random motion to neural nets and everything in-between. Just a few input and output methods to work with.

Edited: 25 January 2005 17:36

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use