You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Suggestions  \  A change that could improve Meteor 2 alot.

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: A change that could improve Meteor 2 alot.

Knasp

24 November 2008 19:03 (UK time)

Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I've posted but I check in from time to time, just so you know. Anyway I went in to mod Meteor 2 again but sofar I'm dissapointed due to "melee" working horrible.

So if James reads this, please make a modder setting for engaging/visual distance for A.I objects. If the enemy with the "melee" weapon can see and charge me (move as close as it can to melee) it would solve all my problems.

Currently my melee enemies just roam around until I let myself get close enough to get charged.

I know that James is very busy with Rod 3D and Meteor 3 but this feature, (Don't know how small it is?), could change Meteor 2 for the better! ;)

/Knasp

Edited: 24 November 2008 19:04

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

ParaSait

24 November 2008 19:27 (UK time)

Yeah and especially for... Rabbits =O
(Don't worry Papercut, I'll try to fix it with a SC_SetObjectFollow...)

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

DarkRain

25 November 2008 06:32 (UK time)

Knasp wrote:
Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I've posted but I check in from time to time, just so you know. Anyway I went in to mod Meteor 2 again but sofar I'm dissapointed due to "melee" working horrible.

So if James reads this, please make a modder setting for engaging/visual distance for A.I objects. If the enemy with the "melee" weapon can see and charge me (move as close as it can to melee) it would solve all my problems.

Currently my melee enemies just roam around until I let myself get close enough to get charged.

I know that James is very busy with Rod 3D and Meteor 3 but this feature, (Don't know how small it is?), could change Meteor 2 for the better! ;)

/Knasp

Yes, you are right. This can improve Meteor 2 a lot.
The Dark Age is upon us! Quake 2 mapmaker.

Dthdealer

25 November 2008 07:19 (UK time)

Welcome back!
Make a no-damage weapon with no sprites and you wanted sight-range for your unit, and then just attach it as a second weapon.
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Count your fingers. Keep trying. Make sure there's ten.

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Some day the javascript will sleep too.

Edited: 25 November 2008 07:19

Knasp

25 November 2008 15:12 (UK time)

Interesting, I'll try that.

ParaSait

25 November 2008 16:19 (UK time)

@Dthdealer

Hmm that's pretty smart... Haven't thought of that before.
EDIT: But what if the enemy starts shooting the no-damage weapon? Then he just stands still within a certain radius doesn't he?

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Edited: 25 November 2008 16:20

Knasp

25 November 2008 17:30 (UK time)

I've done some testing and it doesn't work for Meteor 2. Sure the zombies will charge you from a greater distance but they never get close enough.
Like you guessed Mrazerty, the enemies get within a certain distance before they start unleashing all their weapons, rather than getting close enough to be able to reach with all weapons.

Actually if you could just check a box that the could attack while moving that would be sufficient.
So once you're in range the enemy would keep going until he gets close enough to make contact with the player. Then this Long-range, no damage weapon would work fine.

EDIT: Btw, something else I thought of that would speed up M2 mapping would be to bind the Shift key to copypasting a sector. For example you would hold the shift key and drag a wall sector which would duplicate that sector to wherever you dragged it.

And the crash when reloading after using the weapon editor is quite nagging too. But oh well, I guess you can't get everything you want. :p

Edited: 25 November 2008 17:35

arezey

26 November 2008 07:33 (UK time)

Hi Knasp, welcome back. I used to be aleksanteri, just so ye know as well ;)

Maybe you could increase the melee weapon's range, just a little so that it would hit you? Of course that would make it seem the zombies would hit air, unless you change the projectile sprite to the weapon sprite.

Knasp

26 November 2008 11:06 (UK time)

Well, I got something like that now but the problem remains that the enemies don't see me.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

27 November 2008 04:50 (UK time)

@Mrazerty

I kinda like it the way it is, due to the extreme number of enemies, it would be near impossible to fend them all off when they all know where you are at the same time.

But aside from that, It would still be nice to make it easier to control how far enemies can see, despite the range of their projectiles.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

DarkRain

27 November 2008 06:54 (UK time)

Papercut wrote:
@Mrazerty

But aside from that, It would still be nice to make it easier to control how far enemies can see, despite the range of their projectiles.

I think that's the most important problem too.

Knasp

27 November 2008 14:17 (UK time)

You could also shorten their visual range for sneaky missions. Once you're detected they can shoot their full projectile distance.

Btw, I'd love if there was an AI stance called )

So that I don't have to edit every object in notepad. OF course, if "visual range" is introduced it would be nice if the enemies would be guarding until you're in visual range.

EDIT: Currently the compromise I'm using is having my melee enemies run at a higher speed than myself so that they eventually get close enough to kamikaze themselves.

Edited: 27 November 2008 14:21

ParaSait

27 November 2008 18:48 (UK time)

I already thought of sneaking missions using the event "OnObjectLaserTrip". Too bad you'd have to give every guard a fixed laser then =/

Oh and James said that programming custom AI will be possible in M3.
If everything he said about it is true, M3 will be such an awesome game!

DarkRain

27 November 2008 18:56 (UK time)

Mrazerty wrote:
I already thought of sneaking missions using the event "OnObjectLaserTrip". Too bad you'd have to give every guard a fixed laser then =/

Oh and James said that programming custom AI will be possible in M3.
If everything he said about it is true, M3 will be such an awesome game!

Yes, Meteor 3 will be the peak of the Meteor mountain.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use