You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Suggestions  \  A more RPG-ish game

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: A more RPG-ish game

shockdrop

13 December 2005 20:39 (UK time)

Isometric fields. Like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. You cou;d set the tiles and stuff up, have jumpong characters, and stuff like that. What would help more is Weapon Status Effects (see other thread). Having the same controls, but moving in an Iso game would be cool. And having more then one character, that can be customized, would make it so much cooler. Swithcing with the shift key maybe? Changing weapons the same way, yet changing youir active character when you want. What do you think?

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

James Bunting
13 December 2005 22:06 (UK time)

Well you just triggered a thought in my head with the jumping...

How about making objects bigger in M2 when they gain height? Generally I mean.

Assain

13 December 2005 22:31 (UK time)

I agree, but unforturnatly this causes ugly pixleation, unless you can make it look cool (which it can sometimes).

If you do this (which would be cool :D ), how about you make it so any object that is above X amount of hight will not be able to be shot at? And if you set an object to die, instead of instant death, have the plane/helo fall from the height THEN expode (with an actuall explosion).

Better yet, have it so only turrets/guns charicterized as "anti-aircraft" be the only guns to be able to shoot down "high flying aircraft" (or any aircraft for that matter, as your bullets DO often get interupted by a cluttered battlefield with Chinooks or Airplanes).

But the problem is that larger imaged from my experience always get pixleated.

Although this will take a complete graphical revision of the objects, how about have it so when an object is on thje ground is is shrunk x10 the original size (so say an aircraft was orignally 100x100 pixles large, now the aircraft will have to be 1000x1000 pixles large to make up for the shrink effect), and when in the air to the largest possible height, it goes to the normal image size.

Although, this will make filesizes ALOT larger, and take up an INSANLY more CPU power, it will get rid of pixleation. Mabey have this an option for mods and have it only shirnk by x3 at max if object is on the ground?

I dunno, this was just a bunch of random thoughts from my head :)

shockdrop

13 December 2005 23:02 (UK time)

Well ill just throw away my idea then T_T

As for the jumping thing and stuff....uh...no, acctually i have no clue. But its a good idea. I tried it for one of my weapons (an ICBM, but it sucked, and i messed up) and it blurred the thing. The problems i had, was i forgot to remove the pink, so when it shrunk (after i grew it) it blurred with the pink, so it had this ugly pink nose. And when it shrunk every frame, it was hard to get the time match ups and everything. And i blew myself up multiple times...and the fact that it took most of the screen up, when it blew up (killing me most times) Now, gernades and stuff (like you didnt guess that(did you?)) like that could be easy the way i did. Idk...big stuff is harder, becuase theres more pixels to blurred.

me_mantis

14 December 2005 05:04 (UK time)

OpenGL does that I think, but how would you be able resize the CD bounding box?
Maybe there should be weapon levels.
A pistol hits only ground. Machine guns can hit air, rockets hit only air, and so on.

arezey

15 December 2005 12:50 (UK time)

What is OpenGL?

Assain

15 December 2005 20:44 (UK time)

OpenGL is like DirectX, except the main difference is that DirectX only works with windows and OpenGL works with Linux, Mac, Windows, non-microsoft game consoles (such as Playstation), ect.

Basically, its what/how the game will run off of the video card/game engine.

All year 2000+ video cards (atleast) support OpenGL and Microsoft DirectX 9.0c (that was a random guess).

Meteor 2 right now runs off of DirectX.

I dont know the fine details about the differences, however, but basically, OpenGL is a universal DirectX that can support different types of things a game can do visually/ect abit differently than vanilla DX can.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

17 December 2005 01:37 (UK time)

OpenGL blurs textures and things, so it won't look too pixelated, but if they get close enough to the screen, the pixels just have rounded corners.

This could be good for aircraft, but large aircraft will get in the way of the screen.

Will jumping really be neccesary? If you jumped into water would you die? Will there be sectors that are low enough to jump over? Will you be able to jump over or on top of objects? Will jumping require a new jumping sprite? Will other objects be able to jump too?
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 17 December 2005 01:38

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use