You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  User Announcements  \  Mod material

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Mod material

Erik

20 January 2018 13:52 (UK time)

Made a new mod to relive the nostalgia of this great game.

Unfortunately I'm a huge procrastinator so there will be room for your own material too. (^^,)

The general concept of the mod is minimalism, less ammo, less structure, smaller numbers and more exploration.

I'm currently building a huge map as it's always been a goal of mine to fill a 20000 x 20000 map with a lot of stuff haha...

What is missing is music.

Got unique weapons, vehicles, sounds... :)

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

Erik

08 March 2018 02:42 (UK time)

Map is making a lot of progress.

Have run into a bug though. Explosions (such as tank shells hitting an ally) is making the game crash instantly. Anyone know a fix for this bug?

Attaching a picture to describe my status of work. Added some extra blood and custom projectiles. As you can see, the tank dead sprite is about have a bit of polishing as the purple stuff is present. B-)

Edited: 08 March 2018 03:11

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

08 March 2018 07:01 (UK time)

Wow a mod for meteor in this day and age? :D Looking forward to it!
Sorry to hear about the bug, but I never really modded m2, so i can't help with that either.
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

Erik

09 March 2018 02:35 (UK time)

masuda wrote:
Wow a mod for meteor in this day and age? :D Looking forward to it!
Sorry to hear about the bug, but I never really modded m2, so i can't help with that either.

Yeah :) I'm not very advanced, but the game means nostalgia for me. I've found myself in a life situation in which I can focus a bit on making a mod.

The map is perhaps 80% done and the surrounding parts such as sound, graphics and settings are nearly 90%. I'm missing some good music.

For those interested in trying out the mod in this early stage, download the zip via this link. Extract in your meteor 2 folder, next to the folder called base.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipfr19wwzx7141e/2017%20Mod.zip?dl=0

Edited: 11 March 2018 05:12

Dthdealer

11 March 2018 06:15 (UK time)

Hey Erik,

(1) What version of M2 are you using?

(2) Can you send me the offending vehicle + weapon + projectile + sprites? I'm happy to take a zip of your moddir if you are not too afraid of me seeing things.

Glad to see you're having some fun :)

I was teaching my niece how to make maps on M2 this morning. I don't think she's quite patient enough (she was back on her phone watching minecraft videos shortly after) but hey it's a step in the direction of making rather than consuming.
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Count your fingers. Keep trying. Make sure there's ten.

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Some day the javascript will sleep too.

Erik

12 March 2018 00:52 (UK time)

@Dthdealer

Hello there, it's been a while eh!

Meteor 2 1.31 Beta 1 is the version I use (^^,) what about you?

What do you mean with offending vehicle? I would be happy to help though of course :)

Nice to hear from ya! We should create a facebook group or something in the future if James decides to revive the classics :D Glad to hear your niece is learning, sometimes it can be challenging. Is she struggling with any particular part of the map making?

Edited: 12 March 2018 00:57

Spy

12 March 2018 22:14 (UK time)

Woah. Activity on these forums? And it's people actually still working on mods? Amazing! :D

Maybe I should finish Carnage Galore one of these days. B-)

I was known as Naval War before.
I love and mod Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
Also an active osu! player: https://osu.ppy.sh/u/3971179

Erik

13 March 2018 01:42 (UK time)

I know right! We really should migrate to more active places of communication. The game deserves our attention ;)

At least make a playable pre-release, in the name of procrastination and unfinished projects I hereby swear that it is a compromise for both sides :D

Solved my issue with explosions by the way team. The problem was faulty sound files attached to explosions. Removed the bad ones, added fresh ones and it's all good again!

Dthdealer

13 March 2018 04:53 (UK time)

Facebook group: no-go for me, sorry, I do not use the platform.

Erik wrote:
Solved my issue with explosions by the way team. The problem was faulty sound files attached to explosions. Removed the bad ones, added fresh ones and it's all good again!

Glad to hear :)

N.B. "offending" meant "the ones that make the game crash".
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Dthdealer

13 March 2018 05:09 (UK time)

Hello there, it's been a while eh!

A good ten years, give or take a few pixels. I have these games and you guys to blame for many things :)
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

13 March 2018 06:15 (UK time)

Ye I have many things to thank for this game. Like 2 friends, and a 3rd one indirectly, travelling abroad to meet them, help with life, and some great fun in general. (^^,)

@Erik: glad to hear your problem got solved

ParaSait

13 March 2018 23:51 (UK time)

And I don't use facebook either. We are discord guys though!

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Erik

14 March 2018 03:50 (UK time)

I respect the wish to not be on FB ;)

Had another bug throughout the years, editing a weapon, saving it and then trying to reload game data sometimes makes the game crash. Later, the changes are working and the weapon shows no errors. Does anyone know why this happens?

Updated the mod. Will post the new version.

- Graphics fixed
- Crossbow now replaces blowgun. Some weapons have been removed for the player to minimize the inventory.
- Bomber plane added

Dthdealer

14 March 2018 04:14 (UK time)

I didn't notice you had ninja'd in a download link, unfortunately it 404's at the moment X(
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

Edited: 14 March 2018 04:15

Erik

14 March 2018 19:23 (UK time)

I did ninja in a link, and then removed it due to the bug.

Here is a fresh functioning version.

Dropbox wasn't cooperative this time.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WJdPLOgT6xfGsDrrVoq0_u8ShX7qFPe1

Attaching a screenshot including some of the novelties of my mod. New colors for all teams. Two types of tanks and one type of airplane with two different loadouts. The bomber drops death from above and has a fixed front machinegun. The raider plane has a flexible turret for punishing infantry more easily.

Edited: 15 March 2018 02:37

Dthdealer

15 March 2018 07:50 (UK time)

Holey moley!

Whatever you do: do not turn the minimap on. This mod's main map is massive. I've only enjoyed exploring part of it, there's still more to go.

Expansive Civilian Warfare. The W3Dhub team has gotten permission to release it for free too, so you don't need Renegade.

I may or may not steal some ideas from this Erik.

Misc notes

Clear (not green) "sniper" scope: B-)

"You spawn in a small house, grab a bolt-action rifle and knife two home invaders. The rebels invading your country should have really checked your address before choosing this border."

Spickle field: probably a bit too hidden, but definitely fun to see the toolbar back.

Also, something about aliens? No spoilers, please.
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

Edited: 16 March 2018 03:30

Erik

15 March 2018 23:37 (UK time)

@Dthdealer

First of all, thanks for the deep and well articulated feedback. Strongly appreciated!

The map is indeed massive, I'm still adding towns, cities and other locations to it. Last night I added the "exit" spot too, but you still can't finish the map just yet. Easily fixed though and I will patch that in soon.

I found guard to be much more practical but also aligned to the purpose of the map. To be a massive battlefield... rather than endless chaos haha. It allows for carefully placed shots and a purpose for the artillery pieces.

Yeah, I made it especially for people who doesn't need an A->B->C gameplay, but plays A, B and C, independently from each other. For example, you can clear your hometown out and head north through heavy combat or turn right to the friendly town in the down right corner (no spoilers I hope ;) ) with less immediate effort.

Feel free to copy as you want, I'm honored haha.

Actually the SMG dude is a MG-operator popping out of a hole on the tank for that extra suppressing fire :D I made the mod in, and for a resolution around 1000x800, give or take exact numbers. Your current resolution is not optimal for my 2017 mod. Here is a chocolate as compensation :choc

The tanks are mainly used for clearing out difficult areas with a bit of extra oompf. The bomber has to be going at max speed for you to make best use of the bombs. I might buff the bombs a bit, slower falling speed, longer distance. Fly in a straight line towards your target, drop the bombs 0,5-1 seconds before passing the critical point of the target.

... it's probably aliens yes :p

Edited: 16 March 2018 01:39

Erik

16 March 2018 04:45 (UK time)

Help, trying to script the popping up of a blob monster.

Why is my code not working? I am blind to my own mistake I think. See attachment and guide me, O' wise ones! :)

Dthdealer

16 March 2018 04:53 (UK time)

Erik wrote:
made the mod in, and for a resolution around 1000x800, give or take exact numbers. Your current resolution is not optimal for my 2017 mod. Here is a chocolate as compensation :choc

Dark chocolate?

Many mods used to suggest the player plays at a certain screen resolution, to both avoid seeing things that should not be seen and to avoid objects being enabled too early. I'm not sure if this really applies at all to your mod -- are there any possible losses due to running at higher screen resolutions?

I've switched over to 1024x768 and indeed things are a lot better now. Enemy weapon ranges are just at the right distance (on difficulty normal) for things to be challenging (sometimes slightly off the screen, sometimes slightly on).

On that note: when you start singleplayer you are asked for a difficulty. IIRC this only affects the "engagement range" of enemies, ie what distance they start attacking you from. On very easy they tend to be well and truly on-screen, and on very hard they attack you from more than a screen away. Do you have any recommendations for players here? What do you use?

Minimap

NB, if you want to disable the minimap for players you can edit meteor2.ini to say:

MiniMapSize = 0 

Unfortunately shipping the file with your mod would overwrite people's current screen resolution settings, but I don't know if that's really too important. You can tell people anyway :D

Ground vehicles

I would often come across enemy bases and lose my car. I'd clear out the base, only to find myself in the middle of nowhere with no unlocked cars. Would it be possible to leave a couple of unlocked weak vehicles around each remote location of interest?

There's an interesting parallel to GTA San Andreas here. In SA's most remote locations you will find strange beat-up cars rolling down hills on their own. Some people believed that these were ghost cars and part of a never-used storyline. Others believed the developers just took pity on the players for getting stuck on their own so far away from civilisation.

Misc notes

I realised why my bomber craft wasn't bombing. There's two variants, one with bombs and the other without :p

Tanks feel extremely weakly armoured. 3 shots from a bolt-action will take out a medium tank. I'm going to see if there are some techniques I can exploit to use them better, but I'm not sure if M2's physics mechanics will allow me to use them in less head-on ways.

Non-linear starting points: travelling east from spawn (via the train on the bridge) is a very slow process. SC_SetObjectMaxSpeed(463,40) is unhealthily excessive, so please take any advice I give about your mod with a grain of salt (^^,)

Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

Edited: 16 March 2018 04:58

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

16 March 2018 09:41 (UK time)

So is it throughly enjoyable already in it's current state, or should I wait a bit more?

Erik

16 March 2018 17:01 (UK time)

@Dthdealer

It looks like milk chocolate actually :O

I'm glad to see the new resolution made difference, I haven't kept any difficulty in mind. I usually play it on easy-medium. That being said, very difficult is not forbidden ;) Your input about minimap disabled is interesting, it never crossed my mind before you spoke about it.

The savegame was removed as an attempt to solve an uploading bug. It will return in the next patch.

The idea of making mountains uncrossable with airplanes crossed my mind, for the same reason you bring up. I don't like the flying-insta-wins either ;) might see if it can be applied. AA-guns and patrols might be a joint solution as for example the volcano mountain needs to be passable for patrol reasons.

More cars are being added as we speak (^^,)

All bombers are planes, but not all planes are bombers ;) the airscout will be removed/replaced.

What do you think about a bunch of teleportation stations between neutral/unimportant locations to facilitate the big traveling?

Going to buff the tanks, maybe nerf the rifle a bit... I'll experiment a bit.

Erik

16 March 2018 17:02 (UK time)

@masuda
It is enjoyable as an idea, there are some few details that are missing for a complete experience though ;) you're welcome to try or wait for the next patch I will release with more stuff.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

18 March 2018 09:47 (UK time)

I'll wait then. It's not like I haven't waited YEARS for a new jbs game update. :D I can wait a bit more. (^^,)

Erik

18 March 2018 17:42 (UK time)

@masuda

Sure, here is some of my latest updates for those interested in my progress:

- Added some cool sounds, for example a new death sound and three crossbow sounds. I like variation a lot.

- Added a lot of vehicles across the map to save the player the traveling time.

- Added story material and buildings. (The story is a very loose one, the land is being occupied).

- Bomber is made more user friendly while flying in of itself has been more restricted. I.E. no flying where you shouldn't be.

- I've salted the map with more sprites. :D

- The player now has his own object class which allows for some cool modifications. The player can now swim, meaning that getting shot down over water doesn't mean instant game over. Backpedal speed is now lowered to punish backpedaling.

Edited: 21 March 2018 16:17

Erik

22 March 2018 04:20 (UK time)

Here is the latest version, feedback is always welcome. ;) The folder called "temp" can be deleted, as well as the todo list. The shortcut to 2018.bat has a handmade icon :p

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LPqbDj4NqBkXWWukq3pAaBAWD2zMRNVn

Dthdealer

24 March 2018 10:19 (UK time)

(Grabbing it soon. Workload crazy at the moment + family wanting me to fix computers)
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

24 March 2018 15:25 (UK time)

I just gave it a quick try. I'm far from seeing everything yet, but it looks interesting. Dunno if it's a bug or something, but some weapons are not shown on the left hud. And lol, those drones look huge. :D

Erik

24 March 2018 23:02 (UK time)

@masuda
Yes, it is an unfortunate bug that I just can't seem to fix. For example, the player is not supposed to start with the scoped crossbow but does so anyway and the HUD doesn't display it either. Anyone know the fix?

The drone is military grade haha ;) a visual update will come later, I do recognize that it is a bit big

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Edit: Drone size reduced to one fourth of the pixel area.

Crossbow fixed as the weapon was linked to a non-existing item.

The pistol was also bugged out, for the same reason, and is now fixed.

Edited: 25 March 2018 04:30

Erik

29 March 2018 04:43 (UK time)

Newest version available:

Additional vehicles added.

Rocket launcher further nerfed.

Major additions to the overall landscape. The evil invaders has conquered an entire town. The aliens are rumored to have stolen the key to a secret hideout. The good guys have opened up their base to fortify the southern half.

Minor additions to graphics and sound. The player now sports a gasmask.

Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s09aibuq2e92r5v/2018.zip?dl=0

Feedback and bug reporting always welcome.

Dthdealer

31 March 2018 11:07 (UK time)

I know an old man who swallowed a car. He swallowed the car to catch the aliens, he swallowed the aliens to catch the enemy, he swallowed the enemy to catch the bug, and I don't know why he swallowed the bug. I think he'll die.

Trying to play some more now, the player's new entity type is taking some getting used to.

EDIT: Was this so the player can swim across oceans? There are some other ways of doing that, if you're interested.
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

Edited: 31 March 2018 11:38

Erik

01 April 2018 04:17 (UK time)

@Dthdealer

That's a badass tale for sure my man, I am afraid that I missed your core message though which probably was some feedback for me :(

The new object class is part experiment, part solution.

I wanted to bring something new with my mod. It feels a bit tactical to be able to swim across a river (or indeed oceans) only to sneak up with your silenced SMG for example. The solution part is that if your plane is shot down over water you die instantly in normal instances, but its viable to survive a crash now in my mod ;) it also allows the player to jump out of a boat/plane whenever they want = more freedom to an already open world.

However, I am open to the feedback and would love to hear your solution of course!

Edit: Currently experimenting with invisible bullets (bullets with a defined speed but with an invisible sprite) it adds a touch of chance/"realism" as there is a small delay in the bullet reaching its target. You can also not measure the distance unless you score a hit :) but you can do manual tracking of your fire by using the minimap.

Edited: 07 April 2018 02:03

Erik

19 April 2018 20:54 (UK time)

The project is now considered complete.

It contains a training level that introduces the new weapons and vehicles.

After completing the training level you are brought to the one and only main level. A 20000x20000 map filled with war and misery.

The former time limit is removed but it can take up to one hour to finish the map, if you know where to look ;) take your time to explore, figure out how to finish the map.

Eriks 2018 mod

In short the mod contains:

New maps
New objects
New mechanics of how things work
New weapons and sprites
New sounds, and a lot of them
New music

Enjoy! :D :D :D

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

20 April 2018 21:40 (UK time)

Nice, finally I can get to play it seriously. (^^,)

Erik

21 April 2018 02:37 (UK time)

@masuda

Great! :)

Hope you enjoy it, play it with big resolution and on medium or hard difficulty for maximum enjoyment.

How do I remove the laser from scoped weapons? The weapon hasn't been given a laser yet the laser pops up when scope is used.

I would also like to remove the text that says "night vision mode".

Made some updates out of boredom, nothing that will affect the latest version. Just wanted to share the inspiration :)

- The tacticool rifle now includes night vision googles, looks really badass. You can also see the empty shells flying out of the rifle. A technique I plan to attach to more weapons.

- A playthrough on very hard IS possible, but it demands a lot of the player. Anyone up to the challenge? ;)

Edited: 09 May 2018 00:43

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use