You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  User Announcements  \  Regarding the "hack"

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Regarding the "hack"

mike323
23 April 2006 19:45 (UK time)

Forum members: I'm sure James will fill us in later, but until the forum is restored, this is FYI.

Basically, I was told some noob signed up for an account and changed some HTML tags. Nothing big, just looks a little out of whack. The forum engine is backed up, but restoring it will take awhile and James is working on how to prevent this from happening again.

Until then, sit tight and this will all be sorted out soon.

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

me_mantis

23 April 2006 23:36 (UK time)

Lol "some noob"... Somebody really needs to get a life =P

I'm thinking that I have a great character idea for my mod.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

24 April 2006 22:00 (UK time)

Apparently it's important for someone to be a dick and annoy us with something as little as this.

Also providing no benefit for himself other than frustrating people that have done nothing to him to entertain his dull worthless life because of his huge lack of self esteem.

This nOOb, as he prefers to call himself, is obviously one of the biggest, lifeless nerds on the planet, picking out random forum sites that have nothing to do with him, or anyone else, and changing the HTML tags.

Because you know, when you can change the HTML tags on some basic forums site, you must be a really tough guy, huh? Only the coolest most important people can annoy a very fine range of, lets say about 25 people.

How about you unplug your computer, put it in the recycling bin, go outside and take a look at the world around you. There is such a thing called reality. Don't annoy people through cyberspace. Annoy people in reality, and see what happens.

*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 24 April 2006 22:07

me_mantis

24 April 2006 22:26 (UK time)

Lol
I'd assume hes to scared to annoy ppl in reality.
I'd also assume that hes been banned 4 life
Actually his name was not some Noob. Thats what it got changed to =P

mike323
25 April 2006 00:16 (UK time)

lol...yes that title was James' revenge. An important announcement if you haven't already discovered it:

HTML carrots are now disabled. Right now, security's tight...so no HTML.

arezey

25 April 2006 15:27 (UK time)

So: I'm away for a few days and then here is this mess! So, here is happened a hack, could someone brief me, where is JB, does he know who "some n00b" is and what damage this "some n00b" has done?

EDIT: All right... so James is restoring this? How did the hack happen?

EDIT: And gahh... the file upload is gone again. I had just finished my second HTML DOM/JS thing, 2 pages + CSS what does HTML elements and binds attributes to them.

YET ANOTHER EDIT: What was the title of the "some n00b" before James changed it?

btw Mike, can we take MSN 5pm UK time about the hack? Or someone who knows about this?

Edited: 25 April 2006 15:34

mike323
25 April 2006 15:50 (UK time)

Happened about 26 hours ago. The hack was just some messed up tables and James' avatar as the background. Oh, and big, annoying red pictures of "owned by blah".

Doesn't matter now...the upload is still out for now, don't remember exactly why.

James Bunting
25 April 2006 21:46 (UK time)

Recent events have reminded us that there are people out there who enjoy messing things up for everyone else.

I have disabled uploads while I rethink. We have a loose plan to allow trusted members to upload files. We simply can not allow just anybody to upload files to the server.

As the recent hack (which was basically just some formatting HTML tags in a bunch of posts) exploited our HTML markup facility we have disabled all HTML in all posts (including titles, post text and usernames).

Hey Papercut, you can email that Doom file in the meantime, I will see that it gets uploaded.

Additionally on the subject of security I need emphasise that people use decent passwords on their forum accounts. Obviosly using your username or password as your password would be real daft (and I will automate a process to stop that).

I say this because we are not sure if it really was FBI who made the malicious posts as his account could have been hijacked. We will investigate the log files and other recorded evidence during the investigation.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

26 April 2006 01:26 (UK time)

Sounds like we had a bit of nasty stuff wandering around.

I suggest that for every member that signs up, gets a "recruit" status level, rather than member. Whenever one signs up, it should automatically send an email directly to James, asking for his permission.

Those of the "recruit" status are disabled from using HTML tags, file uploading, etc. The only abilities that they are given are the ability to make posts, and edit posts. I guess they could make threads too. But each one that signs up will be unable to do such things until the Founder himself allows him/her to so that this problem won't happen again as easily as it just did.

I will be sure that the Doom E1M1 map gets to you immediately =)

Is it possible to change our password?

It's a real shame that there are people that go around looking for bugs in other peoples work, and then finding every way to screw it up for other people. What prevents them from using such skills for a helpful cause, rather than a non-beneficial annoying cause? If only there was a way i could track this guy down, come to his house and give him a good punch in the face =P.

Hey, It's not like he would hit back, I mean c'mon, this kid annoys people through cyberspace, how much more of a wuss can he get?

Yeah, you heard me, wuss...
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 26 April 2006 01:31

VR_Rat

26 April 2006 01:55 (UK time)

I believe that if this is to be prevented in the future then we should have something like member levels. When you first join you can only post simple messages. If the person dosen't abuse that privlige for say about 1 month all the "senior" fourm members vote on weather or not to promote him/her. If the vote passes in favor of 50% or more then the person gets upgraded and is allowed some more abillities on the fourms such as the html tags or file uploads. Another award could be a senior member fourm where only the people who are active posters, non-abusive of the fourms, and have been contributing to the fourms one way or another (such as been helping others and/or submitting reasonable stuff).

Of course This wonderful idea could be dropped just because it is too much work.

One thing we could do in respones of the hacker is find his/her computer and send them a naste virus. One that keeps coming back, like that Wraith virus in Stargate Atlantis ( the one that nearly killed everyone on the ship). I've been trying to teach myself c++ with little to no success. Don't worrie, I won't be attacking anyone here.

(To the Hacker)
And last but not least, even though you don't have any reason to come back here, why don't you try putting your skills to use by NOT hacking simple fourms.

arezey

26 April 2006 12:52 (UK time)

Vir_Rat: One thing we could do in respones of the hacker is find his/her computer and send them a naste virus. One that keeps coming back, like that Wraith virus in Stargate Atlantis ( the one that nearly killed everyone on the ship). I've been trying to teach myself c++ with little to no success. Don't worrie, I won't be attacking anyone here.

I quess that he/she got a lifetime ban. I dunno, but I thought that if James could track the Internet Protocol of the hacker, we could compare it to FBI's account and find out that was it FBI or someone else. Just a thought.

I think that you would have a format toolbar on top of the table in the post edit, something like in my forums and have there buttons like "Bold" "Italics" "Underline" "Hyperlink" etc etc, and insert them into posts like WITH THE BRACKETS and convert them to HTML when the submit button is clicked. This would enable Forum Code instead of HTML. Just another thought.

Papercut: Is it possible to change our password?

You can change your password by clicking "Edit Profile" link in your toolbar

Edited: 13 September 2006 20:38

Erik

08 September 2006 20:41 (UK time)

Oh, thats why i cant up load the map i have made :( (see more info on meteor 1 forums/annoucement (its a meteor 2 map)

Erik

08 September 2006 20:43 (UK time)

Now i made a announcement here in the m2 forum..

VR_Rat

08 September 2006 22:05 (UK time)

The upload has long since been back up from this event. I hoever see no reason for why it isn't working. If this hacker is back then that is a problem, but that's highly unlikely. Eveyone, change your passwords just to be safe.

me_mantis

09 September 2006 21:40 (UK time)

You need to be a recognised member in order to upload files.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

10 September 2006 01:46 (UK time)

hmm.... Thats interesting. Erik will probably become a recognised member after he submits his map. These forums are preventing him from doing so =P

though you could simply send an mail.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

arezey

10 September 2006 13:11 (UK time)

Not quite, aknowledged members are also allowed these things

Erik

10 September 2006 13:14 (UK time)

What's needed to be done to get the rank "acknowleged" and so?

arezey

10 September 2006 15:02 (UK time)

I quess you need to somehow prove James you are not a hacker

Erik

13 September 2006 19:18 (UK time)

Ok, Now i'm a "Contributing", THNX :D

arezey

13 September 2006 20:37 (UK time)

Wov, if you're not the fastest member promoted to a Contributing Member, who would be that then?

I had to make a mod in order to get promoted :p

Erik

14 September 2006 13:04 (UK time)

He he :D, Play my map, it's a simple map. but second in the list is a litte bigger map ya know, but its not finnished yet.

Erik

24 September 2006 10:12 (UK time)

Im working on a mod right now... check it out on suggestion/new mod idea i know :)

mike323
24 September 2006 22:14 (UK time)

Try not to double post, erik.

Erik

25 September 2006 14:44 (UK time)

Ok, but one question how do i get the rank "forum moderator"?

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

27 September 2006 12:21 (UK time)

You have to donate a lot of money to jbserver.com
details here:
http://www.jbserver.com/forums/ThreadView.asp?ForumId=1&TopicId=3&ThreadId=203
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

Erik

27 September 2006 14:11 (UK time)

Lol that was too SERIOUS :D but what does (btw) mean?

40oz
 Official Sponsor

27 September 2006 14:51 (UK time)

I never had to donate anything, though I wish I did, and I wish I had the oppurtunity to at my age. From all that I know, there aren't any real requirements for becoming a moderator. If James went around nominating everyone as moderators, there would be no diversity in these forums. Imagine a country where everyone was a leader? It would just get messy. I think I earned my moderator status from actually being friends with James, testing stuff, and suggestions that would make it better.
Oh and btw.

btw = By the way
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Erik

27 September 2006 16:35 (UK time)

Ok man hehe ;) btw... i'll remember that :)

40oz
 Official Sponsor

02 October 2006 01:19 (UK time)

Are HTML tags EVER going to come back? Is ther any plan on restricting HTML tags to certain people? I kinda enjoyed using italics, bold, colored font, and posting links.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

VR_Rat

02 October 2006 01:32 (UK time)

No html tags. Juat probably the bold, italics, stc.. buttons that were suggested in another post. That and the delet post buttons are the additions that should be added after James releases the next m2 update.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use