You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  User Announcements  \  Real Time Stratigy Shooter

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Real Time Stratigy Shooter

me_mantis

02 March 2006 15:26 (UK time)

=D =D =D =D

Its out! extract into your base folder!

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

VR_Rat

02 March 2006 16:38 (UK time)

One word, SWEETNESS!! I checked the maps and they're HUGE! I only really tried the first map, but it's AWESOME!! Give it a maplist with music and me your ip adress and I there even if the sun blew up!

VR_Rat

02 March 2006 16:46 (UK time)

I wouldn't really call this a real time cause meteor is already real time.

The .bat file doesn't seem to work, but mod manager works.

Now the total mods (incomplete and complete) total 5. Regular m2 and my work in progress included.

I did notice some problems. Like in the first map you can get out of the starting area without choosing a team. Also when the command thing is destroyed, it's gone for good. You should either make it stronger or make it respawnable in some way.

Edited: 02 March 2006 17:27

me_mantis

02 March 2006 22:05 (UK time)

Its just a beta, but I decided to release it, and let everyone know how to make Multiplayer teams.
Please note that this really isn't a mod. When all the RTSS stuff is done, it will be incuded with Meteor2, but for now, I have much more control over it by placing it as a mod on meteormods.com

The MCC object is helpful, but you don't really have to have to to play. I'm working on a way to prevent enemies on the other team from stealing it. (my evil little brother always does this.)

Did you manage to um... build anything? If you go to the "T"s on the maps, you can get "tech" levels, and build more stuff =D

Glad you liked it, and keep the feed back coming. =D =D =D =D

Edited: 02 March 2006 22:11

mike323
02 March 2006 23:39 (UK time)

NNNNICE!

James Bunting
03 March 2006 01:48 (UK time)

Yes this is very good, really impressive work.

Perhaps I could make a few changes to M2 to make it more RTS friendly like...

- Add an RTS mode (SC_SetRtsMode() or something)
- Add unit command control when in RTS mode, like click/lassoo select and set AI mode.
- Figure out some sort of goal, ideally the player would not play but you would just control units. Then when all the enemy's units are wasted you win?

Oh and you really need to make that map list.

VR_Rat

03 March 2006 01:58 (UK time)

Yes I did figure out the tech passes. Meteor2 REAL needs to have like a wizard or sometihng to create more ideas like that. And James, I think you over did it with the chinooks on the screen shot (SOLID CHINOOKS!).

I'm thinking of making a counter strike like mod. Do you know that game?

Edited: 03 March 2006 01:59

me_mantis

03 March 2006 14:50 (UK time)

Glad you liked if, James. I think you will realize that if you DON'T cheat, you won't be able to spawn 45,000 chinooks. You wouldn't even spawn them either, because you would realize that you really only need about 5 to win.

I've found a way to keep the MCCs from getting stolen. When an enemy jumps in, their car alarm will sound, and they will stop moving.

I got the maplist, and a few fixes, but I didn't fix the boat on the bridge stuff.(I did replicate the error though)
What happens is that when a vehicle that isn't moving by itsself hits a teleporter, it is not teleported. You may be able to fix this, but I'm not sure.

I have updated the maps (lavamarsh didn't work in mp) and altered the script. The update is availible on meteormods.com

Assain

03 March 2006 14:50 (UK time)

Wow, this is really remarkable. Anything to help it alittle more and make them easy to make by other people would be great too JB :D

I'm not a fan of the bases being objects though, i would rather them be sectored buildings (fits in with M2's level design) with destructable walls (once that is a working option). But even so, it would be impossible to do with script, there would have to be an impossibly high number of checks going on not to mention tracking a every player one map.

Also, having the money laying around the map and the tech levels is just to easy in a real MP game. Remeber that this is a powerup, and they do come back after 5 or so seconds.

And everyone being able to use the contruction thing can get out of hand.

This is really sweet, but (from a beta standpoint) it needs some refining in some area's before it will possibly work on a MP game with 5+ people on each team and yet not be to easy to do things (such as buy things, as money is all over the map and constantly respawns) ;)

me_mantis

03 March 2006 15:06 (UK time)

=D

I'm not a fan of the bases being objects though.
--I could make a less RTSS style where all your stuff is purchased on terminals in bases.

--Its about 30 seconds for money respawn, and by then, you can easilly spend $30000

And everyone being able to use the contruction thing can get out of hand.
--Working on this

money is all over the map and constantly respawns
--This is a good thing. When you get in a chinook, you get $10000
Its amazingly fun in mp with 4+ players.

The bottom line... As of now, its just another mp game. play for kills, not bases.
(thats why I killed my own base yesterday)

VR_Rat

03 March 2006 21:27 (UK time)

Did I miss ANOTHER chance at multiplayer because no one is telling me? Someone PLEASE give me a chat time so I can get in a multi match. I remeber reading a thread somewhere saying that not enough people play multiplayer. Maybe it's because no one is getting informed about them.

Edited: 03 March 2006 21:33

me_mantis

03 March 2006 22:23 (UK time)

I've been testing, and working on the rtss thing in mp ever since the toolbar functions were added. I just got done with a 1v1 match on the new and improved RTSS_Base.map

Basically, I was swamped by Spacedarts, and a little mean guy on a hoverboard with a 50cal gun. Needless to say, he won 2-0.

Since I'm on dialup, so its hard for me to get online, and host, but I have 4 working computer in my house, and plnety of friends who play it with me over my network.(I'm hoping for a 3v3 tomorrow.=D)
Maybe we can get a rtss game going tomorrow morning. I'll be online from 8 to 10am gmt+6:00.

VR_Rat

03 March 2006 22:51 (UK time)

If that isn't on chat then you'll have to mail me your ip at skaterat2002@juno.com.
If your talking usa estern time then I'm okay.

me_mantis

04 March 2006 14:52 (UK time)

Another update. This one fixes tons of bugs

You can't steal the original MCC, or build stuff with it.(it stops moving and destroyes the toolbar)

You can build the Stingray Backup Helicoper, the MRLS(edited so that it does 50X3 damage, not 15X3) and most importantly the MCC.

You now have cool looking buttons for the C4 stuff, and when you drop the fusion bomb, its a fusion bomb, not a worthless c4 clusterbomb. If you destroy it, you can't detonate it, but you can place another one.

I also edited the Base map to be more interesting =D

VR_Rat

04 March 2006 14:59 (UK time)

Are you on the chat? I can't find you.

What is the yahoo messager?

Edited: 04 March 2006 15:02

me_mantis

05 March 2006 18:21 (UK time)

I couldn't get into chat, because I removed java from my pc.

Yahoo messenger is a free program that allows people to send instant messeges to other people online. More info @ messenger.yahoo.com

Now for the important stuff.

I played M2 RTSS yesterday with 4 players on my lan, and IT NEVER CRASHED!!!! I was amazed. The only mp related error was that 2 peoples "on object type enter" got switched so that the bomb shop was the factory, the barracks was the bomb shop, the dropsite was the barracks and the factory was the dropsite.

The other error was that after two peoples base was destroyed, they joined the opposite team, and were a general pain. Then somehow someone spawned with a fusion cannon, and obliterated everyone in the spawnpoint. Then the next player who spawned got the gun, and it repeated.

Would there be a way to code in mp teams?

I uploaded the rtss mod again, so you now get infanrty =D

Karate Pawn

05 March 2006 19:34 (UK time)

lol i remember that, that was great. you could try to make a spawning rule where once they join a team they cant switch. and also fix it so enemy's cant use your buildings.

VR_Rat

05 March 2006 23:08 (UK time)

How many updates are you planing mantis?

You should add another map to the next update so we won't grow bored.

I can make a map for rtss if you want. It would also be a good idea to add music to the maps, but that's just my opinion.

Edited: 05 March 2006 23:13

arezey

06 March 2006 12:31 (UK time)

(cough) I am also one that can provide music, check my mp3s at www.mikseri.net/drillguard. I am there as drillguard, it is my nickname, but here I had aleksanteri first and I tried drillguard here once... I needed to change it for my first name was better lol!

me_mantis

06 March 2006 20:23 (UK time)

@ Karate_Pawn Greetz & GG =D

I think the team setting should be in the MP options, not in the game.
I'm not sure how I can lock you out of enemy buildings, but if the map started with buildings, I could fix that.

@ VR_Rat
I'm gonna update this public RTSSmode test until its balenced and built into the next Meteor 2 update.

I created a map that should keep you happy for a bit. Its a single player tutorial map.

If you would like to create maps, I'd love to have them. We probably don't need more than 10 RTSS maps.

@ aleksanteri
This is a mode, not a mod, so I'm not sure I need to add music to it. It would also take longer for me to uploaded if I added music.

@ everyone
I'll be updating it again tonight, with the new map and altered tech levels. When you want level 3, you have to raid the enemy base to get half of the needed items.

VR_Rat

06 March 2006 20:23 (UK time)

Nice songs, although some of them seem quiet compared to other songs I've heard.

arezey

07 March 2006 20:04 (UK time)

Well, yeah... =D

I have at least 10 times making a song that fits meteor and all of them went bananas. Altogether I have 30 songs on my computer as modules (I use MPT to make these!) and just 6-7 is already there. If you want faster DLs, try downloading module versions at the modarchive.

VR_Rat

07 March 2006 21:26 (UK time)

VVEERRYY funny mantis (meteormods.com).
Anyway, with the previous rtss I made a three player map. If you want music for this than play minus_up_to_sky or whatever it is. Should this be on meteormods instead? Oh and while I'm at it, shouldn't the battle walker be removed from the site since it's now in the meteor installer?

me_mantis

08 March 2006 03:03 (UK time)

Well you are at least only half bored now, right? lol
I'll see about removing that battle walker, and I can't wait to play your map.

I played rtss mode for about 3 hours today with my brother, and we worked out some extra bugs. I also added infantry, and changed their costs. (Sorry. The sniper does have to cost $27023)
I also started working on an urban map.
The most coolest update is the bomber. It shoots a land based train bomb. It costs a C4, and will stop when it hits anything(even water). If its destroyed, it will deal 500 damage in a 200 pixel blast radius. Its a great anti-turret weapon.
I even uploaded it for y'all to enjoy!

Any suggestions/comments/bugs from y'all?

I'd suggest you play a H2H game, start on one team, do giveitem all, build them a giant base, kill yourself, and fight it as the other team.

VR_Rat

08 March 2006 20:33 (UK time)

That would work for one player, but I don't think you can beat true multiplayer (hint hint).

me_mantis

09 March 2006 23:08 (UK time)

I played your map, and its pretty cool. the icebergs keep ppl from sniping you from across the map. The only problem was that GNV, and ROD and Enemy don't attack anything but allies. There is a script command that sets what sides attack what. You should implement that.

I have put the tech level stuff back to normal, and altered the infantry. The snipers now cost $80,000. I will release the next version when I get done with RTSS_CITY.

VR_Rat

10 March 2006 00:00 (UK time)

I'm working on a single player intro mission for rtss assuming that when it merges with m2 it will have its own campaign. I'll try and fix the gnv problem in the mean time.

Oh and when are you planning to test out your latest map? I REALLY would like to join in the testing.

Edited: 10 March 2006 00:01

DRL

24 March 2006 12:45 (UK time)

Can I also Join this test?, the mod is cool,............................... but you should make bluildings that generate income, because it`s hard to find the $10000, plus whit it you can`t buy much things.
The battle walker is cool, you should better don`t remove it from the mod; a other thing will be great to see is that there are some respawning points wich you can "claim", to respawn here, and be able to bluit things here whit more securiti (Also it will be cool to add teleporters to captured bases, the you can teleport back to a captured point or your homebase).

Well, put simpli, the mod is cool, but it needs a feed more thins....such as the ones I suggested (It`s a suggestion: You can decide to add these or no).

Edited: 24 March 2006 12:45

me_mantis

24 March 2006 21:15 (UK time)

Thanks for the feedback!
I'd love to test the mod out with people over the internet, but it didn't work the last time I tried. I mainly play it woth friends at my house.

>Buildings that generate income<
This is a cool idea. I think I will add a refinery site. When you enter it, it gives you 1 card that can be taken to the barracks or some other building, and redeemed for credits.
I tried to put a orange square on each spot where there is a 10000 credit powerup, so you could find them on the minimap.

>Battle walker<
I will leave this in, because its in the game, not in my mod.

>Capturable Spawn Points<
This would be really fun, but I'm now sure how to do it. I will probably be able to add somthing like this when the next meteor 2 release comes out.

>teleporters<
This would be fun. You could build a teleporter base building in your base, and up to 3 teleporters elsewhere on the map. You would enter the building, and press a teleport toolbar button and it would transfer you to whichever teleporter you choose.

VR_Rat

24 March 2006 21:46 (UK time)

How much longer do you think you will be working on rtss? I've got the canal map kindda on hold right now, but I can speed it up if you have a deadline or something.

me_mantis

25 March 2006 14:28 (UK time)

I'm not really working on RTSS mode now. I'll probably pick it up april 2nd. I'm not sure exactly how many new features I want to add, becuase I'd like to keep it simple and fun.

me_mantis

01 April 2006 15:50 (UK time)

Its about time for an update.

Fixed the Base map with Fuzinavl's great suggestions. Now you don't get automatically sniped from across the map.

Fixed VR_Rat's ice map. We sorta didn't have Team1 spelled with a capitol T.

Added AI control toggle for easier unit control. Now you hit a button to set AI control, and hit it again to turn it off.

Added a nice way to get $$: the Derrick. When you are in the derrick, you click on a toolbar, and it gives you credits.
The only problem is that the derrick it highly explosive. Placing it in your base will help you gain funds faster, but can end up destroying your base.

I can't really make teleporters, or changed spawnpoints, so this is pretty much done. YAY!!!
<b>Time</b> for something else I guess

VR_Rat

02 April 2006 20:20 (UK time)

Yeah, it's about time that I get working on the canal again. I just don't know what to do with the big empty space at the bottem of the map.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

03 April 2006 05:02 (UK time)

It's funny to watch 20 turrets "follow" Ash.

me_mantis

03 April 2006 14:29 (UK time)

Hey now! I did't authoirize you to play it with the 1.22 patch.

=P

Ya ya.. I tried it, and its really fun. Remote control bombs from the jet, fixed angle defences that turn, and being able to command rts style from a sniper rifle with auto look on =D

@VR_Rat Try some boulders or caves =D

@ every1. I'm really thinking I'm about done, so if you have any more ideas, I'd like to hear them soon.

VR_Rat

07 April 2006 00:45 (UK time)

I give up on the Canal. I've spent to much time away from other stuff. I'll post the map here with the blueprints if anyone wants to finish it.

Scratch that. Email me at skaterat2002@juno.com if you want the file. Until the file upload is fixed I'll do it this way.

Okay the file upload is back. If you want the unfinished map then here it is. Along with the other stuff.

Edited: 09 April 2006 00:12

VR_Rat

09 April 2006 00:14 (UK time)

Here's an idea, why don't you try to make some base where you can imput coordinates and you are warped there. This could work, unlike the mobile teleport/spawn points.

me_mantis

09 April 2006 01:05 (UK time)

Why don't I? Well I guess if you want a reason why I haven't included a remote type-in-your-own-doom teleporter is that you can't type stuff in in mp games. Other than that I would do it. (NO I will NOT make a toolbar with 10 numbers for you to click in your own x/y coords =P)

I'm thinking that since the RTSS mode it basically done, its <b>Time</b> for something else.

VR_Rat

09 April 2006 01:37 (UK time)

Oh come on, that would be fun =D. Anyway, why don you make something really unique like RTSS only make it for single player.

arezey

09 April 2006 07:35 (UK time)

You said in that mail you do not need to think it that hard what is <b>Time</b>. Now what the >< is that then? Is is another mod or... ?

Edited: 10 April 2006 03:35

VR_Rat

09 April 2006 16:13 (UK time)

Maybe he is just trying to emphisize the fact that he is done with RTSS. Or that he is makeing a new feature for it that he doesn't want to talk about yet.

Edited: 09 April 2006 16:15

me_mantis

09 April 2006 18:13 (UK time)

Basically I think I'm gonna wait till the next Meteor 2 patch, because the unit control and other stuff isn't quite all there yet.

I'm getting really busy with finals and stuff, but I might have <b>Time</b> for something this week.

=P

VR_Rat

09 April 2006 18:29 (UK time)

You can stop teasing us with Time now (how do you change font and such here?).

me_mantis

10 April 2006 03:40 (UK time)

Wow.. What a ruckus from just making one word bold!
Hmm Lets try some more interesting words...
<u>Ravagers</u>
Hee hee hee =P

simple html tags make the text change, but its not really needed.

Any other cool suggestions for the rtss mode?

arezey

10 April 2006 14:52 (UK time)

<b>Text</b> = <b>Text</b>
<i>Text</i> = <i>Text</i>
<u>Text</u> = <u>Text</u>
<a>Visit W3Schools!</a> forms <a href="http://www.w3schools.com">Visit W3Schools</a> when the <i>href</i> attribute is added. This is like this: <a href="<i>url here, remember the http:// prefix!</i>">

Remember to close your tags with </<i>elementname</i>>.

&lt; = <
&gt; = >
&copy; = ©
&amp; = &

<hr /> forms
<hr />

There were some simple ones, if you want to do HTML pages, visit www.W3Schools.com

And when you've been there, visit <a href="http://aleksanteri.forumco.com">my HTML forum</a>.

<hr />

I actually used alot of &lt; and &gt; to do the tags!

JohnWE

11 April 2006 02:57 (UK time)

I think he's mentioning something that he has had <b>Time</b> for over the past bit of <b>Time</b>.

I shall introduce the next word for us all: *ahem* <i>Ravagers</i>

What does this all mean? We shan't tell yet...........

Edited: 11 April 2006 02:57

me_mantis

09 September 2007 02:21 (UK time)

Yo yo yo!
Its about time for the RTSS to come back again.. this time with completely revamped multiplayer, and cooler levels.

well. ok. Maybe I've just found out a way to keep you out of your enemies buildings, and maybe I've found a way to fix the mp respawning issues.

DarkRain

17 September 2007 18:13 (UK time)

That's good news, Mantis.
The Dark Age is upon us! Quake 2 mapmaker.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use