You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  User Announcements  \  ShadowStrike

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: ShadowStrike

VR_Rat

25 February 2006 01:37 (UK time)

I have decided that it is time to release the first beta of my mod ShadowStrike. Here is the first beta and PLEASE post your input.

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

VR_Rat

25 February 2006 13:41 (UK time)

Oh shoot. I just relized that I included some extra files in the zip, just ignore them.

VR_Rat

27 February 2006 21:19 (UK time)

I guess that since no one is responding to this thread then I'll either submit a horrible mod to meteormods or not make a much wanted mod.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

28 February 2006 02:36 (UK time)

At this point, there is no such thing as a horrible mod. As long as it is not completely retarded to the point where the maps are a bunch of sectors with horrible shapes, no script triggers, etc. We know that horrible mods are.

Im just proud that you actually decided to finish it. I know there were many abandoned projects.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

VR_Rat

28 February 2006 15:57 (UK time)

I've got the first level of the second mission done. I don't think I'll add anything other than maps for the first offical mission.

me_mantis

28 February 2006 17:10 (UK time)

Mods are always fun to play(unless of course you are completely evil, and omit the level exit tiles)

I looked through your mod files, and they looked nice.

VR_Rat

28 February 2006 18:37 (UK time)

Thanks.
I'm still debating wether or not to make different sprites and include dieing sprites.

Assain

28 February 2006 20:34 (UK time)

Tried it, it was pretty cool (mm... isometric buildings :9 ) for what little I saw there ;)

Keep up the good work, mod sounds interesting :D

VR_Rat

22 March 2006 00:13 (UK time)

I just realized that I'm going to basicly have to remake What I currantly have of ShadowStrike, it just wasn't working. My problem was bad planning. I'll still make Shadow Strike, but it will be drasticly different. I'll keep part of the basic idea and three of the weapons (boot knife, the pistol now called squall, and the shadow guard machinegun now called urban MG). I say this now as a warning to those who don't plan. I don't see many other people finding huge problems like mine in their mods and still be able to keep going with it.

James Bunting
22 March 2006 00:55 (UK time)

That first level looks great with its high quality detail and the palm trees etc.

I think the design on the fist level with the isometric building really works. I noticed that there is another map included (in a different style) which is presumably in development. Seeing this design difference (and the 2 maps total thing) I suspected that planning may be the issue.

So here is some top advice (no really)...
When I made M2 I made a document full of map titles and then gradually added descriptions. It all just sort of fitted together after that. Then we made the levels which took bloody ages but it really paid off.

2 thoughts...
- Perhaps roof sectors could make your isometric door arches work without teleporters?
- I am intrigued as to what that "run microsoft" screen trigger does, even though I have pretty good idea.

James

Edit:
When I made M1 I just threw together a load of maps and sorted them in order of difficulty (hilarious but its true!).

Edited: 22 March 2006 00:58

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

22 March 2006 05:14 (UK time)

@james:
Yes, I realized that the maps are in a strange order. For Example:
Battle field then Iam in a prison but why? Then I came into a maze (in old M1)....
But basically it has a really good gameplay

Ps. what are you doing recently? improving M2? Because we (at least I) dont know anything..
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

James Bunting
22 March 2006 10:09 (UK time)

Yes I am working on a new M2 version but the amount of time I get to spend on my games varies.

All going well I will have a go at the "sliding" thing this weekend. There is more information about this here...

http://www.jbserver.com/forums/ThreadView.asp?ForumId=4&TopicId=23&ThreadId=1229

This basically means that the player slides along walls when hitting them at an angle instead of just stopping. It will take a while to get this working as I reed to rewrite the movement code (which is shared to other objects too so they will also slide).

mike323
22 March 2006 22:05 (UK time)

Well thats a great idea, but make sure you don't kill yourself over this one as many bugs should still take priority.

VR_Rat

23 March 2006 01:51 (UK time)

I didn't really intend to include the second map, but just to let the no the microsoft was supposed to be something like "It is easy to see what operating system this guy uses `BLUE SCREEN OF DOOM!!`. The isometric building, I might make more stuff like that but for now I will leave SS with regular buildings. Right now I am working on graphics for the player/enemies. If anyone is good at death animation I would like your help. I don't mind a lot of frames. In fact I would like a lot of frames. Other stuff on my wishlist is a nice explosion something like 'smallexplosion' only have it end more as a cicular spread rather than a square spread. I will include more on my wish list and maybe even a progress list later (don't count on the progress list).

Edited: 23 March 2006 01:55

VR_Rat

24 March 2006 00:18 (UK time)

By the way, the story so far is as follows...

"GNV (Global Nullifying Vigilantes) wasn't always a terrorist group. In the past they were counter-terrorist mercenaries known for quick and shadowy strikes. If you paid them they did their job better than anyone could. They finally met their match when their face a group who called themselves FRW (Future Rulers of the World). At the time, FRW seemed like a small time group of renegades, yet they possessed highly advanced technology. Many of the world powers noticed this and looked toward the GNV for a quick and easy solution. With money in hand and a mission to complete, the GNV started their last ShadowStrike.

You are John Hunter, one of the GNV's best soldiers. You start of with your Urban MG and a Boot Knife. You will find more weapons throughout the game. In some places you can use money dropped by enemies to buy weapons, ammo, and other supplies."

Wow, I seem to be making some big post lately =D

Edited: 24 March 2006 00:19

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

24 March 2006 04:35 (UK time)

OK, another meaning of the GNV. But now im interested in the original (m1) meaning.

Anyway, the story sounds good for me. :)
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

VR_Rat

24 March 2006 21:40 (UK time)

I know it's nice to make good coments, but it is constuctive critisim (did I spell that right?) that really helps.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use