You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 1  \  Meteor Modding  \  Meteor Races Documentation

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Meteor Races Documentation

40oz
 Official Sponsor

08 August 2008 03:11 (UK time)

I did a bunch of testing with the races, seeing what AI types did what. So here is a detailed guide to the specific behavior of all of Meteor's AI types for units.

In General, all of the units (With the exception of Planes) in meteor share these common attacking traits. All units in meteor wander around aimlessly until a target is within a measurable 'seeing' distance. This seeing distance is the range of their weapon's projectile. When a target is seen, the unit will follow toward the direction of the target unless the target is less than 3/4 (roughly) than their weapon's projectile's range. If the target is within that range, the unit will rotate to aim directly at it's target and fire simultaneously. If the unit had been facing one direction, and it's target appears the exact opposite direction, the unit's sprite will rotate a fast speed toward the target, shooting simultaneously. The unit may shoot during the duration of it rotating toward the target, though each shot will always be directly aimed toward the target, even if the unit hadn't been finished rotating yet. When ever a unit fires, it stops and is completely idle for the duration of the weapon's fire interval time. When the unit fires again, it refreshes it's aim on the target simultaneously.

There are 8 different AI Types:
Infantry
Car/Truck
Tank
Helicopter
Plane
Submarine
Boat
Gun (Defence)

Infantry, at their highest movement speed travel less than half the speed of the player. They travel on land tiles and only land tiles. They walk straight forward in the direction they are facing, and occasionally stop to rotate quickly to a different direction, and continue walking straight in that direction.

Car/Truck, at their highest movement speed travel about the same pace as infantry. They travel on land tiles and only land tiles. Car/Trucks occasionally drive in straight lines, though often steer left and right in different directions. They do not stop to rotate in different directions unless they are firing or stuck in a wall.

Tank, at their highest movement speed travel about the same as Car/Truck's and Infantry. They travel on land tiles and only land tiles. Tanks share exactly the same AI as Infantry, except are much slower when they stop to rotate, unlike Infantry that can quickly shift in different directions.

Helicopters, at their highest movement speed travel slightly slower than the player's movement speed. They travle across land and water tiles only, as well as solid sprites and units. They are hard to outrun. Helicopters do not stop to rotate unless they make contact with a solid wall. Helicopters travel in straight lines and often veer in a left or right direction, and occasionally stop to strafe to one side.

Planes, at their highest movement speed travel slightly slower than the player's movement speed. They travel across all forms of tiles and are not obstructed from movement by anything but the map's borders. Plane's have the most unique AI type because they travel around aimlessly at all times. They inherit the movement of Car/Trucks by facing the direction they are moving in and occasionally steering left or right, and only stop to rotate when they make contact with a map border. Plane's weapons will always aim toward the closes target, and start shooting whenever a target is within the projectiles range. The Plane will shoot and move simultaneously, and will not face the target it is firing at.

Submarines, at their highest movement speed travel about the same as Tank's, Car/Truck's and Infantry. They travel across water and water tiles only. Submarines will go in any direction, though not face the direction they are going in. Submarines never rotate in any direction unless they stop to fire at a target, or run into a land or solid tile, or a solid sprite or unit. Submarines will stop and rotate toward it's target when it is within shooting distance.

Boats, at their highest movement speed travel about the same as Tank's, Car/Truck's and Infantry. They are practically identical to Car/Trucks though like submarines, can only travel along water tiles.

Gun Defence cannot travel upon any type of terrain because.. well they don't travel. However, aside from refusal to move, their AI is identical to Infantry.

Hope this helps you guys pick out what kinda AI type's you choose for your units!
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 08 August 2008 03:11

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

10 August 2008 03:11 (UK time)

Okay. I guess I'm the only person who cares.. -_-
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 10 August 2008 03:11

Dthdealer

10 August 2008 05:58 (UK time)

This information would have been great if it was released along with Meteor, but unfortunately it wasn't. I'll make a PDF version for you now.
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Count your fingers. Keep trying. Make sure there's ten.

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Some day the javascript will sleep too.

Spy

10 August 2008 13:26 (UK time)

WHAT THE?! Its My Name In There! It Should Be Papercuts!
I was known as Naval War before.
I love and mod Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
Also an active osu! player: https://osu.ppy.sh/u/3971179

40oz
 Official Sponsor

10 August 2008 15:01 (UK time)

yeah what's that about??
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use