You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  JBPlay.com General  \  Announcements  \  Mowteor v1.1 Released

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Mowteor v1.1 Released

James Bunting
03 April 2012 00:44 (UK time)

Mowteor v1.1 has been released.

This is the first game to use the new JGUI2 engine which is based on Allegro 5. Mowteor has been used as a test game to ensure that JGUI2 works correctly.

Although this game is similar to the original (a simple 2D game), it is both a complete rewrite and a significant milestone.

Notable new features include an improved GUI, support for native screen resolutions, hardware acceleration, smoothing/AA and an all new sound engine.

Download from: http://www.jbplay.com/games/mowteor

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

me_mantis

03 April 2012 02:24 (UK time)

Pretty rad!

Looked really nice at 1920x1200. It seems way harder than it did last time around.

Hightree121

03 April 2012 03:46 (UK time)

I didn't need to even look on these forums to see that you did something with Mowteor. All the Google ads suddenly started advertising lawn mowing cost estimates. The new gui is looking pretty nice, though the new resolution auto-detection is going to mess up any attempts I make at implementing a full hud sprite via exploitation of the health bar face sprite. I also see that you included a picture of an attack helicopter from M3 in the credits.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

03 April 2012 04:50 (UK time)

At least now it has proper resolution changing as bigger resolutions doesn't give you bigger field of vision. I always thought that was wrong,
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

me_mantis

03 April 2012 05:03 (UK time)

Masuda wrote:
At least now it has proper resolution changing as bigger resolutions doesn't give you bigger field of vision. I always thought that was wrong,

I always thought running at 2x the res of somebody else was a great advantage.. however, I love that it's fair now.

James Bunting
03 April 2012 06:31 (UK time)

I was thinking about the scale issue yesterday and came up with...

Point 1) Mowteor is a fixed size non-scrolling map so scaling it makes sense. The alternative it how it looks in the Map Editor.

Point 2) When Meteor 1 (and perhaps 2) get converted to Allegro 5 I am sure there will be a debate about this. I am not sure I want to play M1 in uber-res while seeing the entire map and a tiny player/units.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

03 April 2012 07:39 (UK time)

That's exactly why I played them in 800x600, even tho my screen is 1680x1050. Not to mention you can't really see the detailed tiles and sprites in some mods well in huge resolution. It all looks better at lower res.

Edited: 03 April 2012 07:47

James Bunting
04 April 2012 21:48 (UK time)

So I am not the only one who plays in 800x600 so I don't see the bits I am not meant to.

In the 3D games (such as Mowteor 2 and Meteor 3) the view is exactly the same except the image is sharper.

Escape 2 runs in a 320x200 window which you can hardly see.

me_mantis

04 April 2012 22:01 (UK time)

My best guess is that somewhere down the line, zoom will be enabled, and you'll be able to zoom in and out, and res wont' necessarily be locked to the area you can see.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

05 April 2012 06:47 (UK time)

@me_mantis
I think it would be good if it would be dynamic (like in gta1 for example) so when you drive a car or a plane then it's zoomed out. Manual zooming doesn't make too much sense imo.

@James
the view is exactly the same except the image is sharper

That's how it's supposed to be. And anyway:
"Changing video settings may cause serious side effects!" I consider it one of them. :D

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use