You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  JBPlay.com General  \  Web Site Stuff  \  A history of the forums in the form of avatars

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: A history of the forums in the form of avatars

Dthdealer

13 March 2018 23:03 (UK time)

I did a little spidering and discovered all of the (currently active?) avatar images for forum accounts. Apparently more than 1000 accounts have ever been made here.

Interestingly it looks like the forums never enforced the 96x96px avatar image size restriction. There's some interesting ones in there from community members over the years. Do you recognise any?

N.B. I wanted to link to these directly like so:

http://www.jbserver.com/forums/logos/custom/User_967.jpg

Alas only some of these URLs are valid and they are subject to change; so this topic would end up with missing images over time.

Atlassing/packing these into a single image isn't really possible without JPEG'ing everything heavily or reducing the colour-count and PNG'ing everything. Either way the animated GIFs would be lost.

Unfortunately this means I've had to rehost them. Just like those little mods I released here that became lost to the sands of time.
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Count your fingers. Keep trying. Make sure there's ten.

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Some day the javascript will sleep too.

Edited: 13 March 2018 23:07

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

ParaSait

13 March 2018 23:55 (UK time)

I believe I recognize this guy from somewhere. Can't quite remember who it was though. But for some reason, he seems quite familiar to me.

EDIT:
Hey! Somehow I randomly found a recent photo of this mysterious person!

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Edited: 14 March 2018 00:15

Dthdealer

14 March 2018 04:18 (UK time)

Dear me, you've grown taller, but your hair wanted to stay at chin level (^^,)

I'm beginning to think I'm the most anonymous member here. Not even a character sits as my avatar. Whatever you do don't go looking for my voice on my website.
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Count your fingers. Keep trying. Make sure there's ten.

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Some day the javascript will sleep too.

Edited: 14 March 2018 04:20

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

14 March 2018 06:29 (UK time)

I'm such an oldtimer here, I recognize most of them, lol. Too bad uploading new ones doesn't work atm either. :D
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

Edited: 14 March 2018 06:31

Spy

14 March 2018 20:26 (UK time)

Oh yeah, I recognise a fair bunch alright!
I kinda forgot I even used some of those old avatars. lol

One interesting observation to make is that there's a surprisingly large abundance of Finnish people on these forums. ;)
I was known as Naval War before.
I love and mod Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
Also an active osu! player: https://osu.ppy.sh/u/3971179

Erik

14 March 2018 23:50 (UK time)

I'm a swede haha :) but staying in Brazil at the moment

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

16 March 2018 09:44 (UK time)

Ye, I'm one of those who isn't finnish or somewhere around it. :D
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use