You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  JBPlay.com General  \  Web Site Stuff  \  CSS and PHP errors

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: CSS and PHP errors

Dthdealer

29 August 2008 11:35 (UK time)

Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Count your fingers. Keep trying. Make sure there's ten.

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Some day the javascript will sleep too.

Edited: 29 August 2008 11:36

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

ParaSait

29 August 2008 23:12 (UK time)

Must be a temporary error. Or your browser made a processing mistake. In any case, I didn't get this error.

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Dthdealer

30 August 2008 05:25 (UK time)

The HTML and CSS bug detection is not a standard feature of Firefox, hence why you've never seen it.
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

DarkRain

30 August 2008 06:54 (UK time)

Dthdealer wrote:
The HTML and CSS bug detection is not a standard feature of Firefox, hence why you've never seen it.

I have never seen it either. I don't often use Firefox by the way.
The Dark Age is upon us! Quake 2 mapmaker.

Edited: 30 August 2008 06:55

Dthdealer

30 August 2008 08:03 (UK time)

Dark Rain wrote:
I'm hoping you don't use IE

Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

James Bunting
30 August 2008 14:38 (UK time)

Shall I create a new forum for the Linux/Windows debate?

So there are couple of incompliant typos in some style tags, clearly these have been stuffing up the forums for years and require urgent attention. LOL!

Hey that was funny, but OK I will look into those CSS/

I bet 90% of web sites have minor CSS warnings. These validator checkers have been around for years (like me) and I never take any notice. :p

IE rocks, when 8 comes out I will enable web slices on the forum home page. No idea if Firefox does slices cos I never had the need to use it. B-)

On the subject of Linux, did any1 get M2 to work under Wine? What about Rod 3D (which is finally coming along nicely btw)?

James

ParaSait

30 August 2008 18:14 (UK time)

Dark Rain wrote:

Oh no, not another IE user >_<
Seriously, I'm gonna put it in my sig!! USE FIREFOX PEOPLE.

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

arezey

30 August 2008 18:19 (UK time)

James Bunting wrote:
On the subject of Linux, did any1 get M2 to work under Wine? What about Rod 3D (which is finally coming along nicely btw)?

Yep, I got M1 and M2 working, and quite nicely, with about 40 FPS. There was this one guy on the IRC channel nicknamed "paxcoder" who showed me the way to do it (^^,).
I did get R3D working but now it's broken... :/ Guess I can't get all of them, heh.

And btw IE sucks, period. (and no it doesn't suck periods).

And another btw, the name isn't really Linux. Linux is a kernel, GNU/Linux is teh "OS" name :p

Edited: 30 August 2008 19:19

ParaSait

30 August 2008 18:28 (UK time)

There. Anyone who still uses Internet Explorer Exploder, read my sig and don't be afraid to click the links. =D

Spy

30 August 2008 18:57 (UK time)

@Dthdealer

Lol, CSS, Counter Strike Source Errors?? Im On It!!! :D
I was known as Naval War before.
I love and mod Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
Also an active osu! player: https://osu.ppy.sh/u/3971179

arezey

30 August 2008 18:58 (UK time)

Not really, CSS as in Cascading Style Sheets ;)

@Mrazerty: I've got Opera and Epiphany as my primary browsers. Opera's not bad and Epiphany, like Firefox, uses Gecko. :)

James Bunting wrote:
No idea if Firefox does slices cos I never had the need to use it.

It does, with an extension.

Edited: 30 August 2008 19:19

Dthdealer

31 August 2008 01:40 (UK time)

I feel the sun just got darker. Someone has just expressed their love for IE.

body{ font-family: Verdana; font size: 10pt}
table{ font-family: Verdana; font size: 10pt}

body{ font-family: Verdana; font

Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

Edited: 31 August 2008 01:57

40oz
 Official Sponsor

31 August 2008 02:22 (UK time)

Naval War wrote:
@Dthdealer

Hahaha I was thinking the same thing.:)
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

James Bunting
31 August 2008 23:44 (UK time)

Dthdealer wrote:
I feel the sun just got darker. Someone has just expressed their love for IE.

Love? Is someone putting words in my mouth here?

Now don't get me wrong I am all for good freebies but am also into the stuff that most people use most "the norm" (which in this case is free too).

I am sick of this "hate IE" shit, it works fine for me and I have not plans to stop using the World's most popular and widely supported browser. Who says FF is more secure anyway (maybe it protects stupid old duffers who click on all the wrong stuff)?

I am sure every browser company says their product is better. If I beleive what Steve Jobs says then Safari is miles better than FF and IE but I don't feel the need to go an get an Apple.

Sure go ahead and promote FF, thats cool but stop picking on me for using IE. Its not like I want educating.

Does it really matter what browser I use? IE is fine and secure. Ha, bet you used IE to download FF, pretty funny huh? :p

If I used Linux I would use FF because it is the most popular browser that runs under that system. Make sense? Free choice - yay.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

01 September 2008 04:06 (UK time)

I dunno about safer, but on this PC, Firefox certainly runs about twice the speed of IE.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Dthdealer

01 September 2008 08:37 (UK time)

I hope James will fix the CSS :)

You don't have to click anything to get infected on IE. JavaScript and flash are the main predators, allowing someone to do (seriously) anything they want to your computer if you load a page running them. Not only do they invade your privacy by placing tracking cookies and illicit plugins on your hardrive they can also install malware.

Along with a couple of add-ons (eg no-script and ad-block) you can surf the web without executing bad-scripts nor see a single advert on the sides of web pages. I've never had a popup for since the release of Firefox 3

Internet explorer has poor integrations as well. Images, such as PNG are not rendered correctly. For instance, IE will only render a 1-bit transparent single-framed (PNG supports animation) improperly-tinted PNG files while Fire Fox can render the beautiful 8-bit transparent seamless animated correctly tinted pieces of art we have come to adore.

As a final note, Mozilla does not endorse it advertising through flashing banner on web pages nor pop ups. They don't *claim* facts about its security, we do.
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

Edited: 01 September 2008 09:27

arezey

01 September 2008 12:25 (UK time)

Hmm yeah, and then on the other end of nicefive is me, who uses Epiphany and Konqueror, the unknown duo. Yeah, they might not have the Ultra-Premium Ad-Block, or anything like that (okay I do have a blocking system here but not that I tend to use it..), but I haven't been DDoS:D or anything.

I have to say that IE, though, is a honeypot for viruses and I pity people who get the viruses via it, but, it's their choice. :p

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

01 September 2008 16:59 (UK time)

I dont think/know that its safer to use FF. ~X( Though I use FF because of the great extensions. :p There are so many good one. (^^,)
And yeah, i used IE to dl it B-)
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

Edited: 01 September 2008 17:01

ParaSait

01 September 2008 18:04 (UK time)

Naval War wrote:
@Dthdealer

Haha, that reminds me... I was once talking with my friend and he mentioned "CSS". I thought he was talking about the programming language, but he turned out to be talking about Counter Strike. :D

Friend: "Hey do you know how to host CSS on a server?"
Me: "Um... well you know, just... copy your files. And then refer to them in your HTML pages..."
Friend: "Uhh... What?"
Me: "Gee, what else can I say?!"
Friend: "Um dude I'm talking about Counter Strike Source."
Me: "Oooh! Sorry XD"

DarkRain

01 September 2008 18:09 (UK time)

Mrazerty wrote:
[quote=Naval War]@Dthdealer

Haha, that reminds me... I was once talking with my friend and he mentioned "CSS". I thought he was talking about the programming language, but he turned out to be talking about Counter Strike. :D

Friend: "Hey do you know how to host CSS on a server?"
Me: "Um... well you know, just... copy your files. And then refer to them in your HTML pages..."
Friend: "Uhh... What?"
Me: "Gee, what else can I say?!"
Friend: "Um dude I'm talking about Counter Strike Source."
Me: "Oooh! Sorry XD"[/quote]

:D

James Bunting
02 September 2008 21:11 (UK time)

ooh, forgot to mention a couple of things about my IE setup.

Thing 1: I use a custom host file that blocks almost all ads and malware.
Thing 2: I have cookies turned off by default.

However even on the other machines without these "things" my AV does a good job when I rarely get nobbled. If I keep the PCs patched up I simply don't get any problems, after all IE is part of the Windows OS which is that makes it the simple choice.

So what about Chrome? They say thats much faster than Firefox although I fail to see how speed can be generalised in such a way. I am sure they are all bending the truth a bit.

So lets expand on speed.... What is speed? See below, the bits marked "yeah" are things that I reckon could make a difference between browsers.

Rendering speed yeah
A page has to be rendered to the screen from its source code. Simple pages would render like stink. Simple page example, I can see a scope for differences between browers here.

Applet speed yeah
Hmmmm, Flash and Java applets. This is down to the developers of the brower's plugins/RTEs for Java and Flash. If they are able to somehow make Java or Flash faster by some unknown means under other browsers without comprimise then yeah that could big a big change.

DNS Speed yeah perhaps
IE uses Windows to resolve hostnames to IPs (plus a hostfile in my case). Perhaps Firefox and other browsers have their own faster DNS system? Or perhaps not.

So when push comes to shove how long does it take to load google.com?

James Bunting
02 September 2008 21:12 (UK time)

Dthdealer wrote:
I hope James will fix the CSS :)

I fixed it days ago, did nobody notice?

40oz
 Official Sponsor

02 September 2008 21:24 (UK time)

All I'm saying is that Firefox simply opens up much quicker than IE does on this PC. I assume its because of all the toolbars and junk that somehow got added to it that I can't seem to remove. There seems to be about a full 6 or 7 second delay between the time IE opens up displaying my homepage and the time I click on the IE shortcut on my desktop. Firefox on the other hand, takes 2 or 3 seconds to do that same process.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Dthdealer

02 September 2008 22:18 (UK time)

@nicefive

See my post before I edited it.

Firefox renders pages and images about twice as fast, but does not magically make your internet connection go faster.
You won't get anywhere if you don't try new things!
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

Edited: 02 September 2008 22:22

James Bunting
02 September 2008 23:25 (UK time)

Dthdealer wrote:
You won't get anywhere if you don't try new things!

You lecturing me now son? Did I not get anywhere? Noooooooooo I am a failure, I need Firefox to be somebody.

I did try Firefox and removed it. Its not like I never used it at all, just don't see what all the hype is about and don't see the need to use it. [b]I don't dislike Firefox, (but I do dislike its "slag off IE" attitude which its authors appear to promote) I just find IE is perfectly OK. What the hell is wrong with that?[b].

As it happens I am currently testing Chrome, it actually seems pretty good although it fails in certain technical areas including applet compatibility and auto NT domain login + the form colours are not Windows standard.

I can resize the edit post text box - although I am sure Firefox can do that already. Hmmm, it even has a spell checker than checks text as I type in the edit post box although I am sure Fire...

OK so lets talk about Vista now.

Do you like Vista? I like XP.

Lets not get started on Linux.

me_mantis

03 September 2008 00:42 (UK time)

I'm using FF atm, but I feel like a noob, because IE is for professionals, like most microsoft things.
If microsoft made airplanes, they would obviously crash because they are made to do things that normal people don't understand.
My theory is that 99.9% of the world's population doesn't know enough to be allowed online.

Canuck

03 September 2008 01:39 (UK time)

I don't really care, to be honest. I use firefox, but that's only because I liked the sound of the tabbed browsing thing and at the time my IE didn't have that.

DarkRain

03 September 2008 09:29 (UK time)

Canuck wrote:
I don't really care, to be honest. I use firefox, but that's only because I liked the sound of the tabbed browsing thing and at the time my IE didn't have that.

IE, Firefox, it's all the same for me.

ParaSait

03 September 2008 11:49 (UK time)

@nicefive

Well about that IE config you explained, some bad scripts and trojans manage to get around it in no time. Firefox is different about that. You may get less trojans with this IE config and addons, but Firefox blocks just a little more, by default!

And the fact you uninstalled it, well, it's just a matter of getting used to it. It was also difficult for me to make the switch. But putting an effort in making the switch is definatly a wise choice.

Oh and about XP VS. Vista... Yeah you certainly got a point about that. XP still owns =)
Vista DOES have some handy features, such as:
- A notice when you your computer tries to start a process and the user doesn't know about it.
- You can more easily run programs as an admin. in XP: Log off, Log on to an admin account, look for the program, run it. In Vista: Run the program, type an admin's password and voila =)
But of course, Vista also has much, much disadvantages... but I guess we'll have to live on with that =/

DarkRain

03 September 2008 15:07 (UK time)

Mrazerty wrote:
@nicefive

Well about that IE config you explained, some bad scripts and trojans manage to get around it in no time. Firefox is different about that. You may get less trojans with this IE config and addons, but Firefox blocks just a little more, by default!

And the fact you uninstalled it, well, it's just a matter of getting used to it. It was also difficult for me to make the switch. But putting an effort in making the switch is definatly a wise choice.

Oh and about XP VS. Vista... Yeah you certainly got a point about that. XP still owns =)
Vista DOES have some handy features, such as:
- A notice when you your computer tries to start a process and the user doesn't know about it.
- You can more easily run programs as an admin. in XP: Log off, Log on to an admin account, look for the program, run it. In Vista: Run the program, type an admin's password and voila =)
But of course, Vista also has much, much disadvantages... but I guess we'll have to live on with that =/

I prefer Xp to Vista either. I find it more useful and better.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

03 September 2008 16:38 (UK time)

im using vista coz im used to that.. :p
there are many things thats easier in vista (at least things i use)(^^,)
it runs some programs faster too(^^,)
it also looks better and thats an adventage for me (as i dont like the win9x theme) and i like that transparent stuff too(^^,)

though its hardware requirements is a bit ridicoulus its not a problem for my pcB-)

ParaSait

03 September 2008 19:30 (UK time)

Well the "Aero" theme is very beautiful and such, but it does use ludicrously much memory. So I prefer the classic theme.

DarkRain

03 September 2008 19:49 (UK time)

Mrazerty wrote:
Well the "Aero" theme is very beautiful and such, but it does use ludicrously much memory. So I prefer the classic theme.

Yeah, you are right. Some themes use far more memory than the classic one.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

04 September 2008 03:10 (UK time)

What the hell did Vista do to Sound Recorder? That was one of my favorite programs.

Now, it records. It does not playback for you. You can't add effects such as reverse, slowing down, speeding up, you cant cut out parts of the sound, and worst of all, you can only save as .WMA!

I'm still pissed about that.

Also many Doom-related programs crash due to Vista related errors, then Vista tells me its trying to ask Microsoft to find out what I did wrong. I know what I did wrong, I tried to run it with Vista. That's what's wrong.

Oh yeah. And also:

*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 04 September 2008 03:13

arezey

04 September 2008 07:05 (UK time)

@Papercut
Audacity ;)

Dthdealer

04 September 2008 08:12 (UK time)

@Mrazerty

By default, Firefox is probably only slightly more secure than IE. But they have 3 huge differences.
1)Firefox supports a wide range of addons including noscript and adblock+
2)These plugins have holes patched up every week, rather than every few years.
3)Firefox itself has a large history of bugfixes rather than ignorance

XP is way faster than Vista, and has more
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

Edited: 04 September 2008 08:14

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

04 September 2008 19:47 (UK time)

i downloaded chrome this morning and im writing this post with it B-)
ill use it for a while to learn the advantages of it
i like that url bar migration with searching :choc

Dthdealer

05 September 2008 08:31 (UK time)

@PetiX

You may want to read the disclaimer for Chrome
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

05 September 2008 15:37 (UK time)

And whats with that? Should i afraid of something? Though i like FF more still because of the great extensions. (^^,)

ParaSait

05 September 2008 17:02 (UK time)

Dthdealer wrote:
@PetiX

You may want to read the disclaimer for Chrome

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use