You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  JBPlay.com General  \  Web Site Stuff  \  Forum suggestions

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Forum suggestions

arezey

16 August 2008 17:18 (UK time)

Yes, we've got an awesome forum revamp, but there's a couple of suggestions I'd like to make:

- A <hr /> be put just above the signature, making it more distinguishable. The signature could also be put in a smaller font by default.
- The :ash smiley
- Those !@#%& <:s and ":s be transferred into html entities (&lt; and &quot; respectively) and as such allow putting those characters without having to escape them. I've been bugging about this since 1½ years and I will be continuing until it is fixed! :p
- A
someone wrote:
that'd let the user post who was the one posting it

- The signature be put below the attachments, signatures tend to be in the end.
- A permalink system? (I bet that wouldn't be too hard to do)
- [small]?
- A [list] tag or something that would make making lists like this fancier :p

- We need a paging system, it'd be nicer to have big threads not be split up but rather have pages. :)
- Nested quotes
- Maybe a list of online IRC users on the forum main page? Technically would be easy to accomplish using NAMES.

Edited: 08 November 2008 17:11

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

ParaSait

16 August 2008 18:44 (UK time)

Also, next to the Post Follow Up link there should be a Quote button so we shouldn't always write '@Member:'

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

James Bunting
16 August 2008 23:16 (UK time)

aleksanteri wrote:
- Those !@#%& <:s and ":s be transferred into html entities (&lt; and &quot; respectively) and as such allow putting those characters without having to escape them. I've been bugging about this since 1½ years and I will be continuing until it is fixed! :p

Nice idea about encoding stuff.

I only do stuff with the the less than/greather than. The other symbols render OK as is.

Like " @

Do they not show up your browser?

Edited: 16 August 2008 23:17

arezey

17 August 2008 16:52 (UK time)

James Bunting wrote:

I only do stuff with the the less than/greather than. The other symbols render OK as is.

Like " @

Do they not show up your browser?

Well at least they do now :p
Great job!

Dthdealer

29 September 2008 11:28 (UK time)

*bump*

Can we have attachment-hit counters, to tell us how many times our attachments have been downloaded? Possible also a link to ReneagdeZone forums in the top-right instead of the menu would also be another improvement.
I have to thank you for the forum revamp once again, it is a well needed/wanted improvement.
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Count your fingers. Keep trying. Make sure there's ten.

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Some day the javascript will sleep too.

ParaSait

29 September 2008 17:32 (UK time)

Dthdealer wrote:
*bump*
Can we have attachment-hit counters, to tell us how many times our attachments have been downloaded?

Hmm... Dunno... I don't really see the advantage of that feature.

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Dthdealer

30 September 2008 00:44 (UK time)

If we upload a mod, we could know if anyone has actually downloaded it yet.
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

DarkRain

30 September 2008 07:59 (UK time)

Dthdealer wrote:
If we upload a mod, we could know if anyone has actually downloaded it yet.

Yes, you are right.
The Dark Age is upon us! Quake 2 mapmaker.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

30 September 2008 17:16 (UK time)

there are at least two ways to do it:
- the server counts the number of clicks, so it can be cheated up easily though its easier to make too
- the server counts the number downloads by ip address
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

Dthdealer

01 October 2008 06:47 (UK time)

PetiX wrote:
there are at least two ways to do it:
- the server counts the number of clicks, so it can be cheated up easily though its easier to make too
- the server counts the number downloads by ip address

Method 1 would require JavaScript and be glitchy
Method 2 would count how many people have accessed it, which would probably be the best way.
1 uses client-side scripts while 2 uses server-side scripts.
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

01 October 2008 16:51 (UK time)

method 1 can be done with php too (server side). i remember doing such a thing at school

ParaSait

01 October 2008 22:00 (UK time)

What if someone copies the download's URL and pastes it in the address bar? Then it doesn't count as a click, but he did download it. And that occurs quite a lot in this forum, as the attachment system is sort of buggy for some file formats.

Dthdealer

02 October 2008 02:05 (UK time)

It wouldn't actually count the physical 'clicks' of the client, rather the amount of times the client has been redirected to the file via the link.
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

02 October 2008 03:26 (UK time)

thats why i said it can be cheated up easily

40oz
 Official Sponsor

03 October 2008 04:05 (UK time)

Did avatar sizes increase for some people or is it just me>?
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Dthdealer

03 October 2008 04:41 (UK time)

Several people have had their avatars enlarged
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

Edited: 03 October 2008 07:58

DarkRain

03 October 2008 09:44 (UK time)

Yes, I also noticed that. It's a bit odd.

Dthdealer

03 October 2008 09:45 (UK time)

It's ever since James started using a bigger avatar.
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

ParaSait

03 October 2008 16:11 (UK time)

Oh, I thought it was a problem with the configuration of my browser. I thought the font sizes were bigger somehow. So I tried Ctrl+Scroll, the images were "normal" again but the text was uber-small. OK, so it's not just me it seems =P

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

03 October 2008 20:46 (UK time)

it seems that it forces to stretch to 96x96

Dthdealer

04 October 2008 10:25 (UK time)

Its happened to all of the avatars that are user uploaded, hence why my ones aren't doing it. James probably edited the code for his larger avatar when he uploaded it, but it also affected everyone else who has uploaded their own.
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

DarkRain

04 October 2008 10:38 (UK time)

Dthdealer wrote:
Its happened to all of the avatars that are user uploaded, hence why my ones aren't doing it. James probably edited the code for his larger avatar when he uploaded it, but it also affected everyone else who has uploaded their own.

You are probably right.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use