You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  JBPlay.com General  \  General  \  All celebration goes here ~page 10~

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: All celebration goes here ~page 10~

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

13 March 2018 06:31 (UK time)

Let's just celebrate the activity we have here now, lol. And might as well the 10th page of this topic too. :D
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

Dthdealer

13 March 2018 07:48 (UK time)

Not quite a celebration, but I'm feeling really happy to be posting on this forum platform again.

I've realised today that I have stolen a little bit of this forum's layout in my own site. I don't think I did this consciously either. Now I'm sifting through its features and wondering what else I want to clone.

Good:
- Very simple smilies. No gradients, no blurry smiles, just simple and clear pixelart.
- In-built collection of avatars that look like they have stories behind them. Stories that I'm sure we will never know.
- Damn simple forum interface. Does not have several layers of user/profile config to get lost in.
- "Lastest posts" is prominent. That's where I always go in a forum anyway.

Bad:
- Extremely short login expiry time. Not sure if that's a recent thing
- Everything being broken :p

Q: did we once have an IRC channel? I think I remember chatting once upon a time.
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Count your fingers. Keep trying. Make sure there's ten.

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Some day the javascript will sleep too.

Edited: 13 March 2018 07:49

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

13 March 2018 09:10 (UK time)

Ye we did have an irc long ago. And ye, a lot of stuff doesn't work here as intended either.
I checked out your forum too, it really has a retro feeling to it. I made one too a few years ago, and it's anything but retro, so it needs a recent browser. :D I made it for my thesis tho, so it had to be quite fancy.

Erik

13 March 2018 20:15 (UK time)

We are the veterans, the survivor that prospered (^^,)

I can only agree with your thoughts about recent posts. While it has its drawbacks such as letting other threads fall into the shadows of history, it is also the oasis around we gather. Perhaps the threads that become forgotten was destined to do so, while active threads have done something right. ;)

Anyway, the forum works brilliantly well for me.

Dthdealer

13 March 2018 22:31 (UK time)

@masuda

Spinny cubes!

My forum really isn't much of a traditional forum. Users can't create topics -- it's more of a comment system.

I had written a user registration and authentication system, but found no-one went through with the whole process just to comment on my blog. So I disabled it and now anyone can post up on my site quasi-anonymously. My site's traffic is low enough that I've only had one bad human comment so far; but if my site ever gets any more popular I know I'll have to do something again.

All the pages of my site are static .html files served directly by the webserver. The backend code (primarily just for comment support) updates these files when necessary. The biggest advantage this brings for me is the fact I can disable all site scripts (eg if someone is abusing my site) and my site will still "be there", comments and all, it's just that new ones cannot be added. Then I can fix it at my leisure.

@Erik

Some forum features are not working. For us registered users that can find our old passwords: things are mostly all there. I might contact James again and see if I can offer a hand on the backend.

We are the veterans, the survivor that prospered (^^,)

We only survived by eating all of the other contestants. Even the map textures.

Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

ParaSait

13 March 2018 23:52 (UK time)

You guys throwin' a party all of a sudden?
Is there free beer, and if so, can I join?

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Dthdealer

14 March 2018 04:30 (UK time)

Possibly Parasait.

On the note of a party: are you all polars bears from the northern hemisphere?

I hail from the (now cooling) climate of Australia.
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

Edited: 14 March 2018 04:31

Dthdealer

14 March 2018 04:57 (UK time)

If we're all back here all of a sudden we should think of something to do.

Any ideas? The wackier the better.

Sneaking Meteor onto work computers

Add meteor to the startup folder (or equiv registry keys, depending on version of Windows).

Photo of the most confused IT team staring at a room screaming the Last Ravechild wins.

(No, not really. Ignoring what would happen to you, James would get all sorts of nasty corporate hate mail :p)

Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

Edited: 14 March 2018 05:01

hirmuolio

14 March 2018 16:45 (UK time)

@Dthdealer

Inspired by this challenge I present you this level.

Terrorist have attacked the facility you work at. you manage to get on the lift to the surface but you aren't out of danger yet. Fight your way to the exit.

There are few scripted details so things may not work the same as they usually do in Meteor 2. One particular detail may suprise you but I'll leave it for you to find what it is. (hint: Death is not the end)
It is I, Hirmuolio.

Edited: 14 March 2018 16:52

Erik

14 March 2018 19:32 (UK time)

@hirmuolio

Wow, that was a great map. Nice scripting with the doors man.

Wish I would be half the modder you are ;)

Little question, the .bat file attached in your zip, why do we modders need it? How do I make one?

hirmuolio

14 March 2018 19:42 (UK time)

The bat file just allows you to lauch the mod directly. Selecting mod from the main menu also tends to crash the game.

You can see what it contains and how it works by editing it with notepad.
It is I, Hirmuolio.

Edited: 14 March 2018 19:43

Spy

14 March 2018 20:15 (UK time)

I'm not sure what exactly is happening with everyone suddenly coming back at the same time, but heck I'll celebrate to it! (^^,)

I was thinking of doing a throwback let's play series for Meteor and/or Meteor 2. Perhaps a regular Youtube series, or I could livestream it on Twitch? Would first have to get recording software to work with it of course. :D
I was known as Naval War before.
I love and mod Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
Also an active osu! player: https://osu.ppy.sh/u/3971179

Erik

14 March 2018 20:30 (UK time)

@hirmuolio

Thanks brother, it works like a charm. Gonna try remember this one haha!

@spy

I suppose the stars aligned. How can we maintain this surge of interest? We need to strengten the community. That's for sure!

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

14 March 2018 20:59 (UK time)

Well Spy, ParaSait and me are in daily contact, so all it takes is for one of us to notice a new post here. Dunno where the others came from. :D

ParaSait

14 March 2018 22:11 (UK time)

Erik wrote:
@spy

I suppose the stars aligned. How can we maintain this surge of interest? We need to strengten the community. That's for sure!

@James

If you were planning on releasing updated gold editions of the meteor games, now would be a great time :p

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Edited: 14 March 2018 22:12

Dthdealer

16 March 2018 04:23 (UK time)

@hirmuolio

Thankyou for releasing hirmolio.

End game

Sudden unwinnable odds at the end :D Perhaps you should "reward" players who take the tank with good 5 or so of those 50cal gunners.

Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

Edited: 16 March 2018 04:27

hirmuolio

16 March 2018 07:50 (UK time)

I have thought of adding some waypoint-scripted behavior to units but the ammount of if-else statements explodes.

I guess it may be a bit too easy if nobody has died enough times to notice the thing.
It is I, Hirmuolio.

Dthdealer

16 March 2018 09:08 (UK time)

hirmuolio wrote:
I have thought of adding some waypoint-scripted behavior to units but the ammount of if-else statements explodes.

Indeed. Having to manually hardcode everything is difficult and lengthy.

I can dream of a world with OnWaypointReached(int waypointid, int objectid, const char *objectclass) { ... }

I guess it may be a bit too easy if nobody has died enough times to notice the thing.

Oh dear. I'll keep hunting :)
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

Edited: 16 March 2018 09:10

Dthdealer

16 March 2018 09:33 (UK time)

Wow.

(1) Persistent death sprites. Even across quicksaves/loads.

I want to look at your code and see how you did that, but I'm afraid of seeing spoilers.

(2) Numerically coded door (optional route)

(3) At least one path where a soldier 'opens' a door and then closes it again.

I should also add that your doors are a lot less buggy than vanilla M2 ones :D Just don't type "crash" into the console.

(4) A heartbeat object outside the play area. I'm guessing it's related to the sprite tracking, but it might be for more code, I have not learned yet.

(5) Hint in the mission description textfile: an extra message about reaching the surface with another guy.

Now I'm trying to win and keep some of the civilians alive. The door on the elevator appears to be damageable, but I'm not sure if I can get the tank up there, and I don't think the map has enough munitions otherwise.

Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

Edited: 16 March 2018 09:34

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

16 March 2018 09:37 (UK time)

Wow, you can do this much stuff? I guess I'll give it a try in the afternoon then.

Edited: 16 March 2018 09:39

hirmuolio

16 March 2018 10:20 (UK time)

The red thing in the black is the timer object. Every time it reaches the waypoint (OnWaypointReached_18) the following happens:

*Teleport the timer object away from the waypoint and bind it back to the waypoint. This method makes it easier to adjust the speed of timer on the fly compared to runing in between waypoints.
* Check if player is near door control.
** If yes create the door control toolbar and add door control button.
** If no and the toolbar is open then destroy the door control toolbar.
* Save current player coordinate in StaticFlags
** StaticFlags contains both x and y coordinate in single number through some math trickery.

//Save player coordinates
int x,y;
SC_GetObjectCoords( 6, &x, &y);
StaticFlags[StaticFlags[1]+2] = x*1000+y;

Had to replace the player object with preplaced object at map start so that the OnObjectDie_6 works on player. When the player dies StaticFlags[1] is increases by one to track how many times you have died.

On map start a small script runs and spawn a dead player sprites for every death in all coordinates saved in StaticFlags. The angle is not actually saved but instead calculated from the coordinates so it is still same every time.

//spawn corpses of failures
//First death = index 2
int n, x, y;
StaticFlags[1] = min(StaticFlags[1], 90); //make sure no crash
for( n = 2; n < StaticFlags[1]+2; n++)
{
x = StaticFlags[n]/1000;
y = StaticFlags[n] - x*1000;
int angle = StaticFlags[n];
SC_AddSprite( "objects\\Tech_Dead.spr", x, y, angle, 0);
}

The map start briefing is suposed to be different on first run and other runs. But for some reason it doesn't show the second briefing (I swear it worked when I tested it).

You can also try to guess the PIN code for the exit. It shouldn't take many attempts to get it right but don't expect to complete the mission that way ;).
It is I, Hirmuolio.

Edited: 16 March 2018 10:47

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

18 March 2018 09:37 (UK time)

I finally got to play this, and I like it quite a bit. The details you added to it makes it more interesting than regular m2 maps.

It also gave a little idea of a possible map, but I'm not sure I'll get to make it. :D
Like you get xp for killing enemies, and then you can choose to spend it on buffing yourself, like with more hp, or to get hack levels, which you could use to hack terminals to turn the defense system on your side, like the more hack level you have, the stronger turrets you could hack or something.

Edited: 18 March 2018 09:42

Erik

18 March 2018 17:35 (UK time)

@masuda

How do you plan to go about it? Sometimes it helps the mind to articulate ones idea step by step :) I am a complete rookie when it comes to scripting, so I would for example solve it as you do with credits as a power up in vanilla m2. Troopers always drop a powerup of lets say 5exp. Exp could be a currency to be spent on actual doors, containing lets say a stronger version of a gun. When you step on the weapon powerup you also activate a script that removes your previous and weaker gun. Haha...

You can also unlock doors that leads to a scripted area where you unlock a stronger version of Ash through an player object switching script. If it is possible ofc. B-)

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

18 March 2018 18:03 (UK time)

Ye something along the lines like that. Hacking doors to get cool stuff or unlock shortcuts sounds good too, something that a buffed player would be unable to do.

I imagined it kind of like how it is in RoT. You have these toolbars that let you select what you want your xp to be spent on, to kind of level up. Store your hack level in a static flag, and check that when you try to interact with a hackable object. Like hacking a small turret needs hack level of 1, while an uber cannon would need like 10. :D Also different levels for doors depending on what's behind them.

Maybe you could even spawn small drones to fight for you too, dunno if that's doable without much hassle tho.

Ofc this would mean, that you'd still have low hp since you invest in hacking instead of buffing, so you'd die easily, hence your need to hack stuff for your survival. While buffed players would just get more and more hp as they'd interact with the enemies head on.

(And I know that we're offtopic, but whatever, my moderator abilities are quite limited, and this place isn't that active anyway for it to be a problem :D)

Edited: 18 March 2018 18:44

Erik

18 March 2018 19:55 (UK time)

@masuda

We are celebrating the activity ;) on topic enough for ye?

I like your approach and potential solution. Why not run some small scale testing? Would love to check it out!

Drone solution is a great alternative to brute forcers. Here are some ideas;
Low hp, slightly faster than humans. Weapons are rotating turrets. To spawn, script in the creation of a new object, perhaps with following player as a default mode. Type of object could be hovercraft or helicopter, something that isn't getting stuck in walls. If you want the player to upgrade them you can use script to increase their movement speed for example.

I'm going to try drones in my mod, gonna let you know how it works out.

Edited: 18 March 2018 20:03

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

18 March 2018 20:02 (UK time)

Like for example, I suck at level design? :D

Erik

18 March 2018 20:04 (UK time)

@masuda

Borrow someones map, you can use mine. It's barely scripted at all, got some single script commands in the map. :D

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

18 March 2018 20:18 (UK time)

Ye, I might give it a try, but don't expect much of it. Would be nice tho, if someone would make something like this. My idea isn't patented or copyrighted afterall. :D

Erik

19 March 2018 01:26 (UK time)

@masuda

Posted a drone sprite in my previous post, if you need the .pcx files let me know. The basic ideas of a drone are working at least (^^,):choc

Tonight I will post a screenshot ;):p

Edited: 19 March 2018 20:20

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

01 January 2020 05:01 (UK time)

Happy 2020 (^^,)

me_mantis

12 January 2020 22:52 (UK time)

nyasudah wrote:
Happy 2020 (^^,)

Cheers!

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

06 February 2020 05:14 (UK time)

15 year membership lol
Now, where's my M3? :D

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

08 February 2022 06:28 (UK time)

17 years now, can't believe my acc is almost an adult lol.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use