You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  JBPlay.com General  \  General  \  Windows 8!

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Windows 8!

me_mantis

27 October 2012 16:07 (UK time)

I've had the Beta since May. I still use XP 32bit, because virtually every program ever that I have runs nicely on it. I'm smart enough to keep my start menu organized, and I launch most of my programs off keys of my G13.
I play mostly old games ('cuz they're better) so I really don't need advanced features. However, nVidia discontinued and blocked 3D support for Windows XP a while back, so 3D gaming in Windows is more of a challenge.
I'm going to get windows 8 solely for 3D gaming. I might keep on dual-booting with XP or run XP virtually.
I think the tile interface is cool, it'll be better when it has programs that aren't worthless on it. (I need at least 7 messenger / mail services, not just windows / facebook)

3D Native support - helps manage 3D (sometime in the future, this will be useful)
MultiMonitor Support - allowing different taskbar configs per monitor.
Metro Insta Display of stuff is way cleaner than having widgets.

System Recover / Restore / Reinstall To factory defaults - built into the OS will save tons of time reinstalling the OS after viruses. (on other folks computers)

Better SSD support

Multithreaded boot - boots really fast.

dislikes:
You can't run or snap metro apps on my projector in 1280x720 (needs to be 768 =/ ) - and can't run 3D on my projector in 1280x800. (native res)

You can't hit Start to view a hidden start menu to switch to a program on it - thus, it's functionality has taken a major hit.

You've gotta run through a zillion hoops to get non-signed drivers to work.

Super hard to find the power button. (I guess I can use the one on my case)

How about y'all?

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

Archie

27 October 2012 20:54 (UK time)

I haven't really given any attention for Windows 8, I thought of using Windows xp after this shit blows up finally :p

Edited: 27 October 2012 20:55

ParaSait

27 October 2012 22:52 (UK time)

I tried the beta. It was pretty shitty. I can imagine it's pretty good for a mobile touchscreen device, but seriously, using a UI primarily aimed at mobile devices for the pc version as well is a pretty retarded idea.
I also don't like where it's going with this whole stupid "App" trend.
I think I'm gonna stick with good ole' W7.

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Edited: 27 October 2012 22:58

me_mantis

15 January 2013 21:35 (UK time)

I've been using windows 8 for about 2 weeks now.

The start screen reminds me of a desktop cluttered with icons - like so many people's are - except that it's only visible when you press start.

It's fixed 3D stuff, so I can use my 4 wireless DLP glasses with nvidia 3D in games on my projector.

It's also really fast, because it has a multithreaded startup.

It was a hassle getting a few programs to function, but I didn't have to install any drivers in test mode to get it up and running with my huge amount of components.

The color schemes are a bit bright (background windows are brighter than windows in focus) and it doesn't really feel that professional, but I'll give it another month before I replace it with a start menu.

arezey

16 January 2013 15:40 (UK time)

Win8 always gave me the impression they let some 5'y'old do their graphics.

ParaSait

16 January 2013 20:17 (UK time)

I've been using Windows 8 on my mobile for about a month now.

The start screen reminds me of a smartphone cluttered with shit - which is in fact a pretty true impression.

It is a hassle getting anything that is even a little productive to function, and the app store it forces you to use is the most abominable source of applications I have ever seen in my life (except maybe for newgrounds.com), so I will have to find a jailbreak for this crap.

Or wait, no--I'm just gonna sell this thing to some unsuspecting hobo and get an Android instead.

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Edited: 16 January 2013 20:22

me_mantis

17 January 2013 18:03 (UK time)

Productivity application on a phone?

I must agree - all the apps lack basic functionality of desktop software.

I also agree, the start screen looks like something you'd find in a daycare. I'm disappointing at the lack of a professional theme - same with people who are paying me money to tell them how to get their start menu back, uninstall the slew of junk-ware, and show them how to use their computer again.

Archie

17 January 2013 20:11 (UK time)

This fucker

ftw.

(First 2013 post, yey :))

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use