You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  JBPlay.com General  \  General  \  The Review Thread

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: The Review Thread

ParaSait

10 September 2008 16:20 (UK time)

Let's review our maps and mods! The system is pretty simple; First you have to write a score:

0 = What kind of imbecile uploaded this worthless map/mod anyway?! Pure waste of bandwidth...
✰ = Not fun at all.
✰✰ = Not bad, but this could've been much better.
✰✰✰ = Pretty fun to play!
✰✰✰✰ = This is a quality map/mod!
✰✰✰✰✰ = Best map/mod ever!

The entity code for the star is "&#10032" without the quotes. Or simply copy&paste mine =)
This is what your review should look like:

[Title goes here (font size is 4)]
Score: [Those stars go here]

Overall: [Short summary goes here]

Good: [Positive critics go here]

Bad: [Negative critics go here]

Conclusion: [Conclusion goes here, mostly 1 or 2 sentences. You can make this bold, but it's not neccesary]

Notes:
- Don't review your own maps/mods =)
- Bad critics should be contructive. Not "OMG THIS IS TOTAL TRASH!!" or so.
- No "extreme" scores. Only use "0" or "✰✰✰✰✰" when you think it's REALLY REALLY bad or REALLY REALLY good; And that should be rare.
- Don't give any mod a bad/good score due to a bad/good relation with the author!

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Edited: 10 September 2008 16:26

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

ParaSait

13 September 2008 22:47 (UK time)

Crater By Papercut
Score: ✰✰✰✰

Overall: A milestone in history of Meteor modding. It's a 100% total conversion, an Papercut used a lot of creative techniques to make this. Very fun until the alien part ;D

Good:
- One of the first total conversions for Meteor 1.
- It feels like you're playing a totally different game.
- Nice new weapons and tileset!
- Lots of outside missions, which offer you a lot of freedom.
- Maps are very well designed
- Excellent storyline.

Bad:
- The great fun suddenly stop when aliens start appearing... You're constantly out of ammo at that part and those annoying little @#!%§&£ everywhere seriously make you want to quit playing.

Conclusion: Excellent game, you'll be happy when you reach the long stairway at the end of the alien part >=[

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

James Bunting
14 September 2008 21:48 (UK time)

I found a great M1 map called "The Lab".

5 stars I say.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

15 September 2008 01:46 (UK time)

nicefive wrote:
I found a great M1 map called "The Lab".

5 stars I say.

hurrr hurr hur good one.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Spy

16 September 2008 08:56 (UK time)

JTF 2 MOD BY CANUCK:

Score: ✰✰

Good: Great mapping

Cool races

Awesome sprites
-----------------------------------------------l
Bad: Stressing time-limits

Lose, when hostage dies

Enemies shooting too far away

Lots of small bugs/errors/crashes

And PIA, (Pain in the ass)gameplay

Could have been better, I suggest making a sequal! :|
I was known as Naval War before.
I love and mod Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
Also an active osu! player: https://osu.ppy.sh/u/3971179

Edited: 22 September 2008 19:44

Dthdealer

16 September 2008 10:40 (UK time)

@Naval War

The game difficulty determines how far the enemies have to be from you before they shoot.
EDIT:

The images are made by the authors of www.renhelp.net Credit to them
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Count your fingers. Keep trying. Make sure there's ten.

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Some day the javascript will sleep too.

Edited: 16 September 2008 10:44

Canuck

17 September 2008 02:38 (UK time)

Naval War wrote:
Could have been better, I suggest making a sequal!

I probably will do that, though it'll have to wait until later in the year; I get a lot of homework at the moment. I've already got a few ideas for it, though.

Edited: 17 September 2008 02:49

ParaSait

17 September 2008 17:27 (UK time)

Dthdealer wrote:
The game difficulty determines how far the enemies have to be from you before they shoot.
... And how much damage they do. As far as I have noticed, the damage is:

*0.5 on Very Easy
*0.75 on Easy
*1 on Normal
*1.5 on Hard
*2 on Very Hard

This last one I especially noticed while I was doing that V.Hard run... I swear, you can almost feel the bullets when you're hit =)

DarkRain

17 September 2008 18:01 (UK time)

You have to be very patient if you want to complete Meteor 2 on 'really hard'. This is also true for other games of course.
The Dark Age is upon us! Quake 2 mapmaker.

ParaSait

17 September 2008 19:56 (UK time)

Nah, in most games the highest difficulty is just for people with a berserky mood... Think of Nightmare in Doom.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

17 September 2008 20:53 (UK time)

In addition to what Mrazerty and Dark Rain said, it can go either way. As Mrazerty said, in doom, you have to run and scream and blindly spew rockets everywhere until you get to the exit. That kind of difficulty gives more strength in numbers to your enemies (A method if difficulty that I really enjoy btw), but in some other games, such as Call of Duty 4, or Halo, higher difficulties simply make you more vulnerable to enemies, forcing youu to have to be careful and clever.

I'd advise that increasing difficulty should increase the number of enemies you have to fight in a given time, or increase their health. But since Meteor 2's difficulty levels apply to the game mechanics, unlike doom where monsters are assigned to each difficulty through the map editor, it leaves less work for the modder.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Canuck

18 September 2008 01:32 (UK time)

Papercut wrote:
I'd advise that increasing difficulty should increase the number of enemies you have to fight in a given time, or increase their health. But since Meteor 2's difficulty levels apply to the game mechanics, unlike doom where monsters are assigned to each difficulty through the map editor, it leaves less work for the modder.

It'd be nice if there was a script variable for difficulty level, that way the modder would have a bit more control. For example, if you used your script to spawn enemies, you could spawn more/tougher enemies at the higher levels than at the lower.

DarkRain

18 September 2008 08:45 (UK time)

In Thief for example when you play on 'Expert' you have less health points and there are more objectives in the missions and you have to be more patient respectively.

ParaSait

18 September 2008 17:44 (UK time)

Perhaps a DIFFLEVEL variable? 0 is Very easy, 1 is Easy etc...

Canuck

18 September 2008 20:20 (UK time)

Mrazerty wrote:
Perhaps a DIFFLEVEL variable? 0 is Very easy, 1 is Easy etc...

Yes, exactly that.

Dark Rain wrote:
In Thief for example when you play on 'Expert' you have less health points and there are more objectives in the missions and you have to be more patient respectively.

Ohhh...objectives. I think, in my next mod, I'm going to have more specific objectives for the levels, and it would be great if there were a way to have only some objectives appear at the lower difficulty levels.

DarkRain

19 September 2008 18:24 (UK time)

Canuck wrote:
[quote=Mrazerty]Perhaps a DIFFLEVEL variable? 0 is Very easy, 1 is Easy etc...

Yes, exactly that.

Dark Rain wrote:

Ohhh...objectives. I think, in my next mod, I'm going to have more specific objectives for the levels, and it would be great if there were a way to have only some objectives appear at the lower difficulty levels.

[/quote]

Yes, it would be awesome if you could make only some objectives appear at the lower difficulty levels.

Canuck

19 September 2008 23:44 (UK time)

I may have thought of a work-around to change the script based on the difficulty level. It is still conceptual though. I'll let you all know if it works.

Spy

20 September 2008 15:19 (UK time)

Papercut wrote:
In addition to what Mrazerty and Dark Rain said, it can go either way. As Mrazerty said, in doom, you have to run and scream and blindly spew rockets everywhere until you get to the exit. That kind of difficulty gives more strength in numbers to your enemies (A method if difficulty that I really enjoy btw), but in some other games, such as Call of Duty 4, or Halo, higher difficulties simply make you more vulnerable to enemies, forcing youu to have to be careful and clever.

Thats right! Serious sam is a good game because it increases the enemies and their hitpoits! If you get the mental diffyculty, the enemies are half invisible, blinking - like! :D

DarkRain

21 September 2008 15:05 (UK time)

Naval War wrote:
[quote=Papercut]In addition to what Mrazerty and Dark Rain said, it can go either way. As Mrazerty said, in doom, you have to run and scream and blindly spew rockets everywhere until you get to the exit. That kind of difficulty gives more strength in numbers to your enemies (A method if difficulty that I really enjoy btw), but in some other games, such as Call of Duty 4, or Halo, higher difficulties simply make you more vulnerable to enemies, forcing youu to have to be careful and clever.

Thats right! Serious sam is a good game because it increases the enemies and their hitpoits! If you get the mental diffyculty, the enemies are half invisible, blinking - like! :D[/quote]

Lol, 'Serious Sam' is madness. You have to fight with troops of enemies. But it's a good game though.

Edited: 21 September 2008 15:05

Canuck

21 September 2008 15:30 (UK time)

Alright, so I've figured out a way to modify maps based on difficulty level. I'm making a few test maps now.

DarkRain

21 September 2008 16:20 (UK time)

That's great news. I hope that you will succeed in testing the maps.

Edited: 21 September 2008 19:23

ParaSait

22 September 2008 08:44 (UK time)

Now, I really wanna know how you managed to do that!

DarkRain

22 September 2008 10:03 (UK time)

Yes, I am curious about that too. How did you do it?

ParaSait

22 September 2008 19:24 (UK time)

Oh wait, I think I get it... At first, there is a map with 5 allies and 5 enemies. They are constructed like this:

A.....E
A....E
A...E
A..E
A.E

The highest one only dies on Really Hard, the second dies on Hard or higher, the third on Normal or higher etc...

Then simply some OnObjectDie magic and voila! You have "catched" the difficulty level in a static flag.

At least, that's how I would do it.

DarkRain

22 September 2008 19:31 (UK time)

Great idea, Mrazery! That should work.

Spy

22 September 2008 19:36 (UK time)

Yeah... But were seriously going offtopic now. :p

40oz
 Official Sponsor

22 September 2008 20:17 (UK time)

Mrazerty wrote:
Oh wait, I think I get it... At first, there is a map with 5 allies and 5 enemies. They are constructed like this:

A.....E
A....E
A...E
A..E
A.E

The highest one only dies on Really Hard, the second dies on Hard or higher, the third on Normal or higher etc...

Then simply some OnObjectDie magic and voila! You have "catched" the difficulty level in a static flag.

At least, that's how I would do it.

I was thinking something like that too, since I'm sure changing the difficulty level increases or decreases the speed at which an ordinary weapon would kill an object, then just use SC_OnObjectDie to record that. I'd be surprised if Canuck did it any other way. I'd be even more surprised if it were even more simple than that.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Canuck

23 September 2008 04:38 (UK time)

Mrazerty wrote:
... And how much damage they do. As far as I have noticed, the damage is:

*0.5 on Very Easy
*0.75 on Easy
*1 on Normal
*1.5 on Hard
*2 on Very Hard

It actually has more to do with this...I made two new objects, one is a small, fixed defence firing a special bullet with a damage of 4. The other is a 'target'. I placed them right in front of each other on a map so that the 'gun' fires at the 'target' as soon as the level starts. On Very Easy, it applies a damage of 2 to the target; on Easy, 3; Normal, 4; Hard, 6; and Very Hard, 8. Then I used the OnObjectHurt function to set a static flag for the difficulty level, like this:

export OnMapStart;
export OnObjectHurt_10;

void OnMapStart()
{
StaticFlags[0] = SC_GetPlayerObjectId();
SC_SetObjectActive(0,1);
SC_SetObjectActive(10,1);
SC_SetPlayerObjectId(10);
SC_SetObjectSide(10,1);
}

void OnObjectHurt_10()
{
int x;
x = SC_GetObjectHits(10);
if (SC_GetObjectHits(10)==8)
{
SC_SetObjectHits(0,0);
SC_GameMessage("Target lost 2 hits--D.L.=Very Easy");
StaticFlags[1] = 0
}
if (SC_GetObjectHits(10)==7)
{
SC_SetObjectHits(0,0);
SC_GameMessage("Target lost 3 hits--D.L.=Easy");
StaticFlags[1] = 1
}
if (SC_GetObjectHits(10)==6)
{
SC_SetObjectHits(0,0);
SC_GameMessage("Target lost 4 hits--D.L.=Normal");
StaticFlags[1] = 2
}
if (SC_GetObjectHits(10)==4)
{
SC_SetObjectHits(0,0);
SC_GameMessage("Target lost 6 hits--D.L.=Hard");
StaticFlags[1] = 3
}
if (SC_GetObjectHits(10)==2)
{
SC_SetObjectHits(0,0);
SC_GameMessage("Target lost 8 hits--D.L.=Very Hard");
StaticFlags[1] = 4
}
SC_SetPlayerObjectId(StaticFlags[0]);
SC_SetObjectHidden(StaticFlags[0],0);
}

I found that the difference in damage only applies to the player, so the player actually becomes the target for the first split-second of the game, then he is switched back to the normal character.

The scripting looks long and complicated, but once you do this part at the beginning, you can use the staic flags to determine the difficulty level in other parts of the script, it's not too hard. Also, you can use this part to set up the level (for example, hide certain enemies if you don't want them to appear on lower difficulty levels) and leave it at that.

Edited: 23 September 2008 04:41

DarkRain

23 September 2008 09:57 (UK time)

That's great, Canuck! I am glad you did it. ;)

Spy

23 September 2008 19:02 (UK time)

WE ARE GOING OFFTOPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! X(X(X(

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use