You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Rod 3D  \  General  \  Suggestions

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Suggestions

Canuck

22 May 2008 21:26 (UK time)

Alright, I realise it's a little early to be starting a suggestions thread, but I came up with two that I think would be cool.

I'll start with the easy one. You should be able to choose different colours or textures for the sky and fog, instead of being stuck with the default blue. I think it'd be cool to have, say, the reddish-black sky or the blue-grey from some of the levels in Goldeneye 64.

Now for what I think would be really difficult and complicated to implement, but would really improve the game visually and make better use of the first-person mode. You should be able to 'stack' tiles on different 'levels' in the map. This way, you could have roofs, overhangs, bridges and tunnels, columns, and maybe even different floors accesible by teleport. Basically, the map would be divided vertically into different levels on which you could place tiles, one at 0 height, one at 64 height, one at 128 height. So if you wanted to build a building with a roof, you would build the walls out of 64-height tiles on the bottom level, and the roof out of, say, 16-height tiles on the second level. Is this making any sense?

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

DarkRain

22 May 2008 21:41 (UK time)

I like the second suggestion a lot.
The Dark Age is upon us! Quake 2 mapmaker.

Canuck

23 May 2008 02:55 (UK time)

I just hope it's possible. I think it would be cool.

Dthdealer

23 May 2008 11:45 (UK time)

It would be a little difficult to delete tiles though.
P.S. Canuck, do you have a N64?
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Count your fingers. Keep trying. Make sure there's ten.

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Some day the javascript will sleep too.

Canuck

23 May 2008 20:10 (UK time)

Yeah. Goldeneye rocks!

ParaSait

23 May 2008 22:51 (UK time)

I don't think the second suggestion is even possible in the R3D engine. Visually, it's 3D and such, but technically it's still the the same ol' 2D. This also makes for example jumping not possible. I remember James saying that, in FP mode, the bullet should only hit the X and Y position of your enemy, not the Z position. In other words, you could shoot above or under an enemy and still hit it. This is also due to this fact. I think this one thing is fixed though.

Ahh well, James will know much better than me, I guess =)

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Dthdealer

25 May 2008 12:08 (UK time)

Engine Re-write? I doubt it!
Maybe just single tiles that have two or more sections

Sorry for off topic, but Goldeneye does rock! So do Zelda Ocarina of time, Super Mario 64 and Mission Impossible!
Hail N64...
And James Bunting!
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Blacksheep1q

17 June 2008 19:48 (UK time)

my brother and I have a suggestion to add in jumping if at all possible because it kinda bothers us not being able to jump on or climb on to crates sorry if I sound picky for posting three times within 2 days (yes know about the jumping thing posted earlier)
Animate this!

Edited: 17 June 2008 19:52

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

18 June 2008 02:35 (UK time)

you drive a tank so jumping dont make too much sense unless you make a mod
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

ParaSait

18 June 2008 10:54 (UK time)

Haha, jumping tanks! Now I've seen everything! =D

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Blacksheep1q

19 June 2008 02:36 (UK time)

ok point taken but you should be able to at least climb on to the crates or short surfaces like an M1A1 battle tank can (if I sound like over obnoxious American please tell me) oh and you want to see tanks jump look on you tube
Animate this!

Edited: 19 June 2008 02:37

Canuck

19 June 2008 02:59 (UK time)

Well, I've got a potential solution that could do roofs without an engine re-write: have an 'indoor tile' setting and a 'roof height' value, so that 'indoor' tiles would be like normal floor, but there would be a roof drawn in at the 'roof height' that would be set. Maybe even be able to choose a 'roof texture'? That might work, I really don't know.

And Blacksheep2n, don't worry, you don't sound like an obnoxious American, I'm Canadian, we know you have better military hardware than us (like, say, submarines that aren't second-hand and don't catch fire and kill crewmen in the middle of the Atlantic). Actually, the fact that you're worried about it proves you're not. Cheers to our neighbours to the south!

Edit: Oh, yeah, and good idea, even ramps would be nice, but from what people have said I don't think it would work because apparantly the tank can't move vertically, only horizontally. Maybe some scripting could temporarily turn the tank into a 'plane' object and change the height, but that would probably be reallllly complicated. I'm no expert, though...

Edited: 19 June 2008 03:02

DarkRain

19 June 2008 07:53 (UK time)

Yes, climbing on lower surfaces will be great.

Dthdealer

29 June 2008 06:08 (UK time)

I have a strange feeling the engine doesn't calculate the Z axis for the tank or gravity, so ramps would require an engine-rewrite.
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

James Bunting
29 June 2008 23:30 (UK time)

Actually Rod 3D is fully 3D capable (true 3D), it is simply the terrain that is highly restricting.

I made it "proper 3D" becuase I will using the code for my "next project" which will be, basically, "better" (it will take advantage of this stuff).

I want to keep Rod 3D pretty close to the original game, just as a remake.

The next 3D game will be much less restricted in what you can do.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

30 June 2008 02:57 (UK time)

next project? M3 or something totally new? or is it a secret? ;)
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

DarkRain

30 June 2008 05:16 (UK time)

It's great that there is a new project.

ParaSait

05 July 2008 18:18 (UK time)

New project... somehow, I think this is connected to the fact that all M3 stuff has suddenly disappeared out of nowhere...

Canuck

20 July 2008 15:02 (UK time)

Aghh! Intrigue!

Spy

21 July 2008 12:09 (UK time)

Im Not Gonna Eat... For A Few Days! So My Mind Can Be Out Of Control...
I was known as Naval War before.
I love and mod Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
Also an active osu! player: https://osu.ppy.sh/u/3971179

Edited: 21 July 2008 12:09

Blacksheep1q

23 July 2008 04:18 (UK time)

what if you added something that allows you to disarm certain opponents like if you shoot the turret off a tank or something like that or maybe a grapple hook/zip line thing that could make you able to zip across water as long as it has a wall to connect to. (in this other project James mentioned it could actually be a grapple hook/zip line)
Animate this!

Edited: 23 July 2008 04:23

Blacksheep1q

23 July 2008 04:27 (UK time)

oh and here is a blender creation of mine if any wish to tamper with it
Animate this!

Spy

23 July 2008 16:24 (UK time)

Hmm You Mean Like, Teleport Gun? And With That Turret Tank Thing, Maybe You Could Like Put An NPC In To An NPC? Nah! Or Something Like That?

Blacksheep1q

23 July 2008 22:52 (UK time)

exactly it shouldn't be too difficult
Animate this!

Edited: 23 July 2008 22:53

Spy

24 July 2008 04:39 (UK time)

Ok.

Dthdealer

07 October 2008 03:43 (UK time)

Seeing as we no-longer have first-person as a working option, can we have an unexplored territory function that makes everything black until you explore it, and everything out of your site range that you have explored grey? You would only be able to see enemies within your sit range, similar to that of RTS games.
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

Spy

07 October 2008 08:48 (UK time)

Hell yeah! (^^,)

Dthdealer

07 October 2008 10:16 (UK time)

This could would make maze levels that tiny bit tonnes more fun, and if someone spent a few minutes scripting they could make a mini-rts via toolbar.
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

Edited: 07 October 2008 10:17

ParaSait

07 October 2008 18:14 (UK time)

This is possible in M2. Just make a bunch of black roof sectors, and with some setSectorHidden magic you can do this perfectly.

Canuck

07 October 2008 20:17 (UK time)

Lots of scripting, though. I actually experimented with this to prevent the player from seeing inside rooms he had not yet visited.

Spy

08 October 2008 17:07 (UK time)

That would be exciting, hmm, meteor rts? ;) Turrets = Towers. Lol, it dosent have to be ancient, it can be "meteorish"! :)

ParaSait

08 October 2008 18:11 (UK time)

A Meteor 2 RTS mod already exists. Look for "RTSS Mod" in the meteormods.com archive. Really fun for LAN games, as you can create your own base, army and attack&defense units.

Edited: 08 October 2008 18:11

Spy

09 October 2008 12:12 (UK time)

@Mrazerty

Same.

Blacksheep1q

13 October 2008 04:14 (UK time)

now I am still excited for rod 3d/meteor3 to come out but I'm bummed out by the loss of the first person view it made the game more of a challenge and the full usage of the weapon range which unless you either go spraying a room with a long raged automatic. And as good as it was unless you knew exactly where the enemies were the sniper rifle was practically useless even in m2. but still I'm excited to see what comes rolling of the production line
Animate this!

DarkRain

14 October 2008 06:27 (UK time)

Blacksheep2n wrote:
now I am still excited for rod 3d/meteor3 to come out but I'm bummed out by the loss of the first person view it made the game more of a challenge and the full usage of the weapon range which unless you either go spraying a room with a long raged automatic. And as good as it was unless you knew exactly where the enemies were the sniper rifle was practically useless even in m2. but still I'm excited to see what comes rolling of the production line

That's exactly what I think too. ;)

Spy

14 October 2008 16:06 (UK time)

Omg? This place is SO dead! :-O

40oz
 Official Sponsor

14 October 2008 22:37 (UK time)

whys that?
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Spy

15 October 2008 10:38 (UK time)

Idk, propably because im snoring all the time and visit the place once a day, and see that theres nothing new! U got to admit that! :p

ParaSait

15 October 2008 14:15 (UK time)

Well, this forum currently has about 10 active members. Combine this with school and you can't expect too much posts, I guess =D

DarkRain

15 October 2008 19:58 (UK time)

Mrazerty wrote:
Well, this forum currently has about 10 active members. Combine this with school and you can't expect too much posts, I guess =D

That's a good formula.

Dthdealer

18 October 2008 03:03 (UK time)

Would it be difficult to code a coop-edit mode for online games, where more than one player can edit the map at the same time? That would allow map-making for mods to go a lot faster, and allow players to share tips with each other.
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

arezey

19 October 2008 11:26 (UK time)

Dthdealer wrote:
Would it be difficult to code a coop-edit mode for online games, where more than one player can edit the map at the same time? That would allow map-making for mods to go a lot faster, and allow players to share tips with each other.

That, and a built-in IRC client for #jbgames.com, so map-making could be discussed while mapping. Now login to create posts in this thread.

Blacksheep1q

30 October 2008 19:50 (UK time)

well for the most part the logging on during school is not that big of a deal as long as you have a laptop with WIFI capability's like I have and as I'm doing now (I know what your thinking but I had extra time durring english) and that kinda has been tried but if you could get people to show up from close enough time zones it should work.
Animate this!

Edited: 30 October 2008 19:53

Canuck

30 October 2008 22:26 (UK time)

Laptop? With Wi-fi? Ha. You can't bring laptops to class in my school, and the wi-fi is password-protected. Last year I had a really slack computer course where me and a friend worked for 10 minutes every class, then slacked off for the other 55 minutes, and still got like 98%, but no such luck this year. All english, math, chem, physics, etc. I'm in grade 12 anyway, no slacking off until february when first exams are over and I have all my easy courses.

Blacksheep1q

04 November 2008 21:06 (UK time)

you have my pity (I couldn't live without slack time but thats me) but still it doesn't stop me yet for some reason I think I'm hacking into someones personal network. Because the only non-password protected network is in the side of my school closest to someones house but you never know.:p
Animate this!

Dthdealer

05 November 2008 10:48 (UK time)

@Canuck

Wifi? Linux + aircrack :) problem solved in <10 minutes
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

Edited: 05 November 2008 10:48

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use