You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 3  \  General  \  Meteor 3 WIshlist!

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Meteor 3 WIshlist!

mike323
01 December 2007 18:41 (UK time)

I'm sure all of you have big ideas and hopes for Meteor 3's features. Let's get some ideas together!

Mine:
- Easier wall creation: Maybe a tool that you can drag a line with, that would create a wall sector with x width
- Object scripts: .sc file that you could use while inside a vehicle to trigger certain sprites, projectiles, sounds, etc with the touch of a key or object event
- Ability to do things in bulk: For example, if I was able to go through and change the fire rate of 7 weapons all together, THAT would be SO HANDY...
- Player movement modes: Ability to walk, run, or go prone? This would really be awesome...
- Enhanced light editor for sprites: Would be awesome to be able to change the time between flashes for a light.
- Explosions: Perhaps the option of just one explosion graphic, and to leave behind a crater sprite? Maybe spew some fire around, that would look awesome. I wonder if it's possible to make enemies fly backwards if they're hit with an explosion.

Edited: 09 December 2007 05:45

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

DarkRain

01 December 2007 19:04 (UK time)

Good suggestions. I think that the map editor should be improved a little. When you draw a sector you can accidently put a thin part of a wall sector onto a floor sector. Then the floor sector will not be fully passable. There will be a thin part of the wall sector that will be practically invisible.
The Dark Age is upon us! Quake 2 mapmaker.

ParaSait

05 December 2007 16:03 (UK time)

That second suggestion, doesn't it already exist in Meteor 2 or did I misunderstand it? :S

Another suggestion: It would be extremely handy if you don't have to reload the game data after you modded something. Perhaps when you exit the editor, it should automatically load the object to avoid having to reload the whole damn game!

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Edited: 05 December 2007 22:07

mike323
09 December 2007 05:46 (UK time)

The second suggestion has been modified to match my intentions.

arezey

09 December 2007 15:02 (UK time)

There should be an option to raise a sector to the top or to send it to the bottom of the tilemap (though respecting the fact sector #0 is always at the bottom(

Canuck

09 December 2007 19:30 (UK time)

Silenced weapons that are actually silenced, so if you fire a non-silenced weapon too close to an enemy, they'll come check it out, but if you use a silenced one, the enemies won't do anything. Maybe have a "Silenced" option in the weapon editor? Also, the objects should have an option that they can only be destroyed with an explosive weapon. In M2, if you shoot at tank long enough with a pistol, it will be destroyed!

S0ulBlade

10 December 2007 09:27 (UK time)

Hey, man im so happy for having found this game again...
How about a more complex damage system? Like having electric damage, explosive damage... and then we could have more armor types like light, heavy... that would add much more complexity to the game as specific weapons will be required to take down different enemies. And the armor piercing part of the guns can be used to reduce the penalty applied while firing against armor types, adding even more complexity.

Edit: Oh one more thing, in meteor 2 you can reload all weapons by cycling quickly and reloading each one manually. Maybe i'm too picky but i think this should be prevented.

Edit 2: Now that i read with attention the post before mine, that tank pistol kill can be solved with armor types: maybe pistol has a 95% penalty on tank armor or somthing (and you round down the damage dealt, if dealing with integer hp)

Edited: 10 December 2007 09:42

S0ulBlade

10 December 2007 09:50 (UK time)

Grenades dont work very well in meteor 2, sometimes they get stuck in the wall. I'd like to see em bouncing and killing all the time ! :D

DarkRain

10 December 2007 11:58 (UK time)

I like the suggestions about the armour a lot. It will be great if there are different types of armours.

Edited: 10 December 2007 12:00

arezey

10 December 2007 20:57 (UK time)

Oh, and there should be a timer!

For example:

void callback() {
    // this will be executed in 5 seconds
}

char *timer;
timer = SC_StartTimer(5000, "callback";)

mike323
11 December 2007 04:00 (UK time)

Yeah, a timer would be awesome.

DarkRain

11 December 2007 08:57 (UK time)

I like the idea about the timer too.

Canuck

12 December 2007 02:24 (UK time)

The idea about the different damage types is kind of cool, too. Even if you just made it so objects slowed down or something when they took a certain amount of damage. I think it'd also be good to have a range of values for the amount of damage a projectile causes, rather than just one, so it varies a bit--sometimes it might take 4 shots to finish off an enemy, other times it might take just one.

1up

16 December 2007 15:18 (UK time)

lol, a nice C++ editor on the side would be nice...
and there should be 6: Fire, Frost, Lightning, Earth, Nature, and Normal(physical damage) :p
Added to that is that some weapons should be able to do multiple damage types. EX: Rocket Launcher does Fire, Earth, and Physical all in one go. Why earth? the impact sends up soil :p
"...And with his fight money, he bought two of each animal on earth, then he herded them onto a boat, where he beat the crap out of every single one!*bangs grenades together*" -Team Fortress 2 Soldier
Headshot! Double Kill! Triple Kill! Overkill! killtacular! Killtastrophe! Killimanjaro! Killprocalypse!... Kil-Killionaire?! What happened to kill#9?!
"Oh shit, hes got THE HALO 1 PISTOL! RUUUUUUN!"
"Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet." -Red Sniper

Edited: 16 December 2007 15:31

Canuck

16 December 2007 15:56 (UK time)

Hang on, this is starting to sound a lot more like Pokémon and a lot less like a military shooter...maybe have weapons damage specific parts of the vehicle, ex. structural damage, weapons damage, electronics damage, fire damage, etc. Of course, there could just be a damage-type editor, so you could do whatever you wanted with it.
(No offence meant, by the way)

ParaSait

16 December 2007 20:25 (UK time)

LOL, Meteor and pokémon... nice combination! Perhaps it should be called 'Metemon' then. :p

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Edited: 16 December 2007 20:26

DarkRain

17 December 2007 15:20 (UK time)

It's a little funny when you are able to destroy a whole tank only with a pistol. But this is not so important.

Canuck

18 December 2007 21:51 (UK time)

Well, maybe projectiles in M3 will have an on/off armour-piercing value, so they DON'T do damage to armoured objects if it is off.

1up

06 January 2008 19:09 (UK time)

hmmmmm...the elemental damage is NOT based off pokemon...its based off WoW and a lil bit of hellgate london in it...
electric damage should have a shock value(a percentage of stunning a target, mechanical units take double damage and could get 'overloaded'; overload is where the unit is totally incapacitated for a duration of time.
earth does extra damage against ALL GROUND UNITS! any unit on the ground is gonna get hit...
about the air units just swooping into a seemingly open-roof building is stupid. that needs fixing(where you define a certain zone as a building sector, no air units except units preset like the laser tank could get in)
now, nature damage is poison...you could set the rate of poison damage(a tick, or 2 seconds, is normal) and how much damage dealt per whatever time, and how long the overall duration lasts. Fire is a chance on hit DOT, so give it more damage, and should have a adjustable %age chance. Stun values from physical damage should also be set like this. If incorporated, Light has blinding value (its disorient effect, therefore makes units hit by this randomly shoot everywhere and run around...when in this mode, could be run over by its own allies.
Ice...stun on hit chance, and normally slows target by however many %age set. a nice image to define a frozen or incapacitated target would be nice. there should be a color shading for all the effects(ONE shade for ALL units to save space)
darkness...i havent figured that out yet...give me some time and ill be back :p
now, attack types...(these are complicated, you might wanna avoid using these)
Artillary - could fire on targets manually, or fire on specific spot by clicking on area with mouse...
Melee - creates a predefined field zone of damage by moving imagery.
Direct - hits target, does damage. end of story. (already implemented)
Splash - hits obstruction, does AOE field damage which is restricted by certain sectors(needs upgrading)
these things are a bit difficult, but it would certainly be more fun lol
"...And with his fight money, he bought two of each animal on earth, then he herded them onto a boat, where he beat the crap out of every single one!*bangs grenades together*" -Team Fortress 2 Soldier
Headshot! Double Kill! Triple Kill! Overkill! killtacular! Killtastrophe! Killimanjaro! Killprocalypse!... Kil-Killionaire?! What happened to kill#9?!

Edited: 06 January 2008 19:17

DarkRain

07 January 2008 11:22 (UK time)

Wow, great suggestions, 1up.

Canuck

09 January 2008 00:15 (UK time)

Sounds good, although I still think there should be a damage-type editor where you can make your own types of damage and edit the effects they have on a target. The attack types are definitely a good idea, especially the "Artillery" one. It would certainly make weapons like aerial bombs and the grenade launcher much more realistic. Another good attack type (and I think it's already been mentioned in the M2 forum by someone else) would be an anti-aircraft attack-so planes could only be destroyed by weapons with this value.

mike323
26 January 2008 08:49 (UK time)

1up ------
lol, a nice C++ editor on the side would be nice...
------------

Your great free C++ editor is right here:
http://www.download.com/Notepad-/3000-2352_4-10327521.html?tag=lst-2

1up

01 February 2008 20:47 (UK time)

LAWL! i mean when the editor is open so i can see what the hell I am doing! It is annoying when you have to script for a selected unit just to alt-tab back to check on the object's map id...

Dthdealer

02 February 2008 05:12 (UK time)

All of the AI suggestions can (*should) be created using James's supposed AI scripts you can make.
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Count your fingers. Keep trying. Make sure there's ten.

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Some day the javascript will sleep too.

ParaSait

13 February 2008 14:08 (UK time)

I wonder how the A.I. script will be made, what all the different functions will be.

Edited: 13 February 2008 14:33

Dthdealer

16 February 2008 01:16 (UK time)

Hopefully it can intercept tonnes of engine data from the game. That way we could do near anything with it. Maybe install a virus :-P Kidding
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Edited: 16 February 2008 01:17

Canuck

17 February 2008 17:30 (UK time)

It'd be cool if it was possible to have the movement of a vehicle and the weapons controlled separately. That way, you could make some of those long 'transit' levels in M2 where the player is riding in a vehicle that is bound to waypoints more exciting. For example, if you were in a helicopter that was moving along a set path, the player could be controlling the guns and shooting down enemy planes and stuff.

Edit: Just noticed that you can move the guns around while riding in a waypoint-bound vehicle, but can't fire them.

Edited: 17 February 2008 18:52

1up

22 February 2008 01:01 (UK time)

yea lol...however, i was able to do it by having the mounted turrets of a train become separate entities which are bound to the same waypoint...lol
its also very hard to switch between weapons quickly...

Canuck

27 March 2008 20:55 (UK time)

It'd also be nice if the enemies in M3 didn't have eyes in the back of their heads like the ones in M2...by this I mean that the bad guys in M2 will see you even if you are directly behind them. If you could edit objects' 'field of vision' so that troopers only saw about 180* in front of them, it would really improve the game. You could probably do the same with weapon turrets, so, for example, the machine-gun on the front of a tank can't fire overtop of the main turret.

DarkRain

28 March 2008 09:54 (UK time)

Yes, I absolutely agree with you. Sometimes the enemies see you before you see them.

Edited: 28 March 2008 09:54

Dthdealer

30 March 2008 04:05 (UK time)

And allowing units to come off a waypath when they see you would be a nice advantage I'd like to script in M3
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

1up

05 April 2008 23:44 (UK time)

hmmm...dont ppl have a maximum of 120 degrees vision?

Canuck

06 April 2008 03:42 (UK time)

Well, whatever. Ideally you'd be able to edit it for different objects.

James Bunting
16 April 2008 22:41 (UK time)

Allowing units to leave waypoint tracks on sighting enemies is certainly a planned feature.

I call this "soft waypoint binding" which will go alongside regular "bind to waypoint".

James

Canuck

17 April 2008 01:57 (UK time)

Isn't there already a 'soft' waypoint bind script command in M2? Does it do the same thing? Either way, it'll be great to have it in M3.

arezey

17 April 2008 14:38 (UK time)

No, it's not the same thing. In M2, "soft waypoing bindings" mean that if the object gets stuck it gets released.

1up

24 April 2008 16:58 (UK time)

an addition:
the armor and armor piercing values should be measured in %ages and should be going up to 100%. This makes sure that weapons with no % armor penetration cannot damage with armor, say, 60%+
this means that you can have a value of 70% negated damage from armor piercing weapons if you have an armor of 70, but that %age is deducted from the piercing value of the weapon in question. at 100% armor, a piercing value of 20% is minimum.

Blacksheep1q

19 June 2008 21:49 (UK time)

a features that I think would be nice to have is the ability to call for supply drops and/or artillery strikes. and to place remote detonated C4 charges with out having to edit the map. (ok these are features that are in Battlefield2 but hay it's a good game to) and maybe in multiplayer mode being able to have more then one human player in a vehicle at once one who uses another gun and such or may be have "stackable" vehicles like say you have a person in a tank and one of his buddies is driving a hover craft (which is faster) and so the guy in the tank loads his tank on to the hover craft and can fire it's low cal weapons like its machine gun etc.
Animate this!

DarkRain

19 June 2008 21:55 (UK time)

Good suggestions, Blacksheep2n.

Blacksheep1q

23 July 2008 23:18 (UK time)

oh another thing that could be fun is a weapon/devise that draws enemies toward it say you want to "sack" three guys at once you throw this ..... "vacuum grenade" thing and three near by enemies are sucked toward it making it so you can whip out your RPG and take em all out at once of cores there will be limits but think of the possabilities
Animate this!

Spy

24 July 2008 05:06 (UK time)

Hmm, That You Could Draw Sprites Like Tiles!!! And The Projectiles Of Weapons Could Be Animated!
I was known as Naval War before.
I love and mod Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
Also an active osu! player: https://osu.ppy.sh/u/3971179

Blacksheep1q

24 July 2008 17:30 (UK time)

oh and I liked the map editor from meteor2 better than the one in meteor1 it was faster and easier to use in my opinion it was also better at making the waters edge
Animate this!

arezey

24 July 2008 23:25 (UK time)

Can't the projectiles in M2 be animated as well? They're sprites, after all..

And I personally liked the tile system better.. much easier to map.

Spy

25 July 2008 13:50 (UK time)

Nope, Cant Be Animated! =(

40oz
 Official Sponsor

27 July 2008 02:28 (UK time)

Yeah they can, ever see the Flamer and the Rocketlauncher? those projectiles are definitely animated.

Arguably I like the tile system better too. The sector system makes making moutainous land terrain a snap, but indoor maps can take forever. The tile system makes Indoor mapping way easier, and faster too. I feel like tiles are more capable of making detailed maps too due to the tile editor so that you can draw every fine little detail you want in your map. Sectors made with large textures aren't really capable of that unless you make 2 million textures for your maps.

Too make the possibility of 'fine' M2 editing, I think it will need a redone texture pack. Though all the maps for M2 have already been made, it would be impossible to make a texture pack that adjusts accurately toward every sector of every map.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 27 July 2008 02:36

Blacksheep1q

27 July 2008 03:39 (UK time)

what if you made it so you could use both forms of map editing that would give you the best of both styles but I have no Idea how difficult that would be
Animate this!

Edited: 27 July 2008 03:40

Canuck

27 July 2008 04:04 (UK time)

Yeah, I agree. I like the sector-based mapping because it's possible to make stuff that's not all 90-degree angles, but there's no denying that the tile map-editor is faster and easier...

Another idea, maybe in M3 it will be possible to give a sector/tile a top and bottom height? This way you could create roofs and overhangs and stuff like that. It might be better with a sector-based system, because you would want to have another sector underneath as a floor...

About the textures...maybe there will be a built-in texture editor so you can make your own map-specific textures in the map editor? Though I still think some combination of a tile- and sector-based editor would be best.

Edited: 27 July 2008 04:08

ParaSait

27 July 2008 12:46 (UK time)

Very awesome would be that the map editor was similar the Build engine (Build is the map editor for Duke3D). It basically also features a sector system wherein you first need to make sort of a floor plan and afterwards you can give you sectors a height, skew them etc. so you can actually give your sectors all possible 3D shapes.

Or maybe a little more simple; like the Doom map editor? That's almost the same as Build, but a little more simplified.

Spy

27 July 2008 13:29 (UK time)

Yeah, But In M1 U Cant!

Canuck

27 July 2008 15:01 (UK time)

Well, M1 isn't 3D....maybe each vertex could have a height value? This way might take a reeeaaaly long time in the map editor, but you would be able to make all kinds of shapes. It might be faster if you could drag and drop pre-made polygons into the map and then modify them if you had to.

And if we're getting into all this, it would definatly be a good idea to be able to view the map from different angles in the map editor, so you can see if all your ramps and such line up.

ParaSait

27 July 2008 21:56 (UK time)

Or what about a combination between tiles and sectors? A tile would then actually be a predefined sector, in the shape of a cube.

Edited: 27 July 2008 21:56

Canuck

28 July 2008 03:28 (UK time)

That would be ideal.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

28 July 2008 07:01 (UK time)

yeah and all you have to do is change the texture for the 'tile'

or you mean that there are all the predefined cube-tiles with their own texture?

btw, this would be awesome! Laying out great outdoor sectors and make the indoor details with the tile-cubes
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

ParaSait

28 July 2008 10:56 (UK time)

Well, these 'tileset' will actually be a set of predefined 3D sectors, each in the shape of a cube. As they are 3D, you will also be able to not only make cube shaped sectors but also for example tiles with a skewed roof, or open boxes, etc...

Canuck

28 July 2008 15:10 (UK time)

So 'tiles' could be just about any shape you wanted, and once you placed them in the map editor, you could change them around.

Edit: Come to think of it, if tiles were just predefined 3D sectors, would it be possible, in the tile editor, to give different sides of the tile different textures?

Edited: 28 July 2008 15:11

ParaSait

28 July 2008 18:16 (UK time)

Well let's put it this way: the tile editor is sector based, the map editor is tile based OR optionally sector based. That way you can easily create sector based maps!

DarkRain

28 July 2008 18:49 (UK time)

That's a great idea, Mrazerty! I find it hard to build sector- based maps.

Canuck

28 July 2008 18:58 (UK time)

Soumds perfect. I wonder if it's possible.

Spy

28 July 2008 20:23 (UK time)

Id Like A Better View In 1,st Person, Like A Gun On The Screen + Hp And Other Things! Because Else It Sucks!

ParaSait

29 July 2008 10:58 (UK time)

Yeah in Rod3D 1st person view is very experimental. I hope it will be upgraded in M3.

Spy

29 July 2008 11:37 (UK time)

Yup

Canuck

29 July 2008 14:56 (UK time)

Gun on screen...that'd be awesome, I wonder if you would have to make a 3D model for the weapon or could it be painted on?

Spy

29 July 2008 15:25 (UK time)

Hey, Np! I Dont Think Its That HARD!

Canuck

29 July 2008 15:34 (UK time)

Something like this:

Spy

29 July 2008 16:49 (UK time)

Thats Perfect! But We Have To Make Good Animations Too! Like RELOADING, USING ALT FIRE, PUTTING SILNCER ON, PULLING THE TRIGGER. ect. Also, The Health Indicator Maybe Armor Too! Should Be In The Lowerleft Corner Of The Screen! Ammunition In The Lowerright Corner! + Next To The Ammuniton, The Weapons Name And Picture! And We Serioysly Have To Make Cooler WPN Pictures Than In The Weapons Selection Screen! EDIT: Of Course We Have To Make These To Meteor 3 Because Tanks Cant Hold Weapons! XD (Remember To Make A Hand Holding It)

Edited: 29 July 2008 16:52

Canuck

29 July 2008 18:51 (UK time)

Thanks for the support. The hard part would be getting the gun to move along with the aimer. It would be impossible to make a new graphic for every position the gun could be in. Maybe the game could automatically skew it somehow.

Edit: Hang on, in ROD3D the crosshairs are always at the centre of the screen. That solves that problem. It might look cooler if the gun could move around a bit, though.

Edited: 29 July 2008 18:53

ParaSait

29 July 2008 19:03 (UK time)

Wow, if these last 2 features get implemented, Meteor 3 will definitely be the first of the next-gen JBGames!

Edited: 29 July 2008 19:05

Canuck

29 July 2008 19:20 (UK time)

It should be good. How 'bout this one?

ParaSait

29 July 2008 20:30 (UK time)

Oh my, that looks just too bad@$$! XD

By the way, did you edit the model to create that screen or did you just paste it with a drawing program?

Edited: 29 July 2008 20:31

DarkRain

29 July 2008 20:55 (UK time)

It's not too bad I think. But, yes, great ideas.

Canuck

29 July 2008 21:57 (UK time)

Drew the weapon in paint and copy&pasted it on.

ParaSait

30 July 2008 13:41 (UK time)

Yeah I already thought so because he seems to be holding shotguns, though in the weapon interface the pistol is selected =D

Canuck

30 July 2008 18:41 (UK time)

Anyway, it'll probably be quite difficult to do things such as placing a silencer, reloading, etc, because of the number of frames required to make it run smoothly. I might give it a try, though...

Spy

30 July 2008 20:32 (UK time)

Hey! Canuck You Dont Need To Do Everything By Yourself! Im Pretty Sure That James Or Someone Will Help You Out! Well I Hope They Do!

ParaSait

30 July 2008 21:44 (UK time)

In the object editor, there should be several sprites for each object and I mean not only 'Still', 'Walking' and 'Dead', but also 'Shooting', 'Reloading', "Being hit' etc...

May become hard to mod though...

Edited: 30 July 2008 21:44

Canuck

30 July 2008 22:01 (UK time)

Naval War: Good point. Now that we've got the idea down, I'll let the experts take care of it.

Mrazerty: Good ideas. I especially like the idea of a 'being hit' sprite.

Spy

31 July 2008 06:19 (UK time)

Yes But If It Would Have The Being Hit, Then The Sprite Wouldnt Have A Chance To Shoot! I Mean It Cant Change If Something That Does The Getting Hit Thing It Cant Change The Mode From That If Your Like Firing Minigun It Dosent Have A Change To Shoot! U Know What Im Saying? Im Not Pretty Good At English Cause Im Finnish...

ParaSait

31 July 2008 11:57 (UK time)

Yeah, good point Naval War. Perhaps make an extra object property: 'Can move if shot?' and 'Can attack if shot' etc...

Oh and also a property whether or not play the ricochet sound when the object is hit. Because I hate it that even organic objects sound as if they consist of brick; instead it's better to not play the ricochet sound, and keep the organic 'hurt' sound.

Spy

31 July 2008 14:21 (UK time)

Or Like BLRT! When It Hits Your Body!

Canuck

31 July 2008 15:28 (UK time)

Yeah, the ricochet thing is kind of annoying. Though, about the 'getting hit' problem, I think that if you were getting hosed with a minigun, you would probably have a hard time firing back... maybe a solution would be to do the same for the player. In any case, it should be a property that can be changed for different objects, because shooting a tank with an MP5 is not going to stop it shooting back at you.

DarkRain

31 July 2008 16:09 (UK time)

Yes, you are right, Canuck. The tank can shoot at you even if it is hit.

Edited: 31 July 2008 16:09

Janne

02 August 2008 09:09 (UK time)

I Wish that The Game Have Lots of maps.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

02 August 2008 18:00 (UK time)

I think instead of the ricochet sound for bullets, sectors should have a 'material' set to them, so it goes <TING> when it hits metal, <CRACK> when it hits wood, etc.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

ParaSait

02 August 2008 22:05 (UK time)

Good idea, but it would make the lack-of-sound problem bigger. =/

Blacksheep1q

29 August 2008 02:11 (UK time)

true that kind of thing would require more sound files and extra programming and a butt load of work to get it to work but it is doable.
Animate this!

Spy

14 October 2008 16:31 (UK time)

I have a crapload of sounds. (^^,)

Dthdealer

14 October 2008 21:11 (UK time)

Could we have a permeable setting that allows bullets to travel through a wall but leave some sort of trace in wall? Even better would be destructible sectors...
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

DarkRain

14 October 2008 21:41 (UK time)

Dthdealer wrote:
Could we have a permeable setting that allows bullets to travel through a wall but leave some sort of trace in wall? Even better would be destructible sectors...

Yes, that makes sense.

Spy

15 October 2008 10:39 (UK time)

THE THREAD HAS BEEN AWAKEN! ;)

ParaSait

15 October 2008 14:17 (UK time)

Dthdealer wrote:

It think all this will be possible with those new projectile functions James promised us.

Canuck

15 October 2008 15:13 (UK time)

Destructible sectors would be awesome too. One of the things I liked the most about M1 is being able to blast holes through walls.

mike323
31 March 2009 20:13 (UK time)

Threat re-reawakened! Muahaha.

Anyway, I just revisited M2 the other day, and had a little fun. Such replay value.

The game is what is it right now, and I doubt James feels like improving it. Better to focus on M3.

My favorite part of M2 is the ease of modding. However, I decided that my least favorite part is the dumb AI.

So, for M3, I suggest some simple tweaks that would make enemies way more fun to shoot.

- A formula to make shooting patterns. Currently enemies just continuously fire in your direction. Perhaps code that would come up with a random between 3-10, and subtract from this number each time their gun goes off. Then, when it reaches 0, they pause for like 0-70ms. These numbers could be user-adjusted depending on "behaviors" for each object, like aggressive and such. Maybe it would also depend on what kind of gun.

- Different attacking patterns. Instead of just standing there, how about a formula that finds whether there's space to the left, right, forward, and behind relative to the direction that enemy is facing. If there is space, maybe decide to move into it, slowly, making the enemy a moving target.

- Note graphs - pathfinding. Essentially a ton of waypoints. This would make the attacking patterns better, since the enemies wouldn't be guessing where to go. They could just go to the nearest waypoint, and maybe follow it a little farther back, or forward, depending on how close they are to the player.

Anyway, that's all the ideas for now, I may expand/add later on to this post.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

01 April 2009 03:41 (UK time)

Seconded.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

DarkRain

01 April 2009 12:05 (UK time)

Good ideas indeed. I think that a new thread about this topic should be made.

ParaSait

01 April 2009 12:12 (UK time)

mike323 wrote:
My favorite part of M2 is the ease of modding.
Hahaha... Umm no. Not for me atleast :p
It would be awesome if M3 had tiles that can are designed with sectors. So you can actually use sectors as tiles in the map editor.

Edited: 01 April 2009 12:13

DarkRain

01 April 2009 18:38 (UK time)

@ParaScythe

Yeah, the idea about the tiles is a good one. M2 modding is different for me too.

Canuck

01 April 2009 21:20 (UK time)

good ideas. I also like the ideas for the AI, that would improve the gameplay a lot. there'd be more strategy, rather than "I hope my gun kills that guy faster than his gun kills me"

Erik

19 April 2009 16:17 (UK time)

Damage over time would really benefit gas-attacks ^^

And behaviours on the AL's is a good idea =) like

Aggressive, chases you until death do you apart.
Defensive, holds ground, don't wastes too much ammo.
Tactict, only shoots if shot at. Follows abit, then returns to his place. Fires in bursts :)

Spy

19 April 2009 17:35 (UK time)

Erik wrote:
Tactict, only shoots if shot at.

Lol, they'r guarding a door and you go simply past them: Yo, peace! :p

DarkRain

19 April 2009 20:20 (UK time)

@Erik

Good ideas. Unfortunately it's not easy to make intelligent enemies. If they are able to avoid enemy fire, it will be fantastic.

Blacksheep1q

20 April 2009 03:59 (UK time)

as much of a problem as the smart/stupid AI is there is nothing as frustrating as waiting for a dumb AI that is on your side to do some thing useful those who have played counter-strike understand but having the AI too smart is a problem because of obvious reasons. (I think that being able to shoot threw certain kinds of walls. For example if you shoot threw glass or wood walls so if you were lucky you might kill an enemy on the other side)
Animate this!

DarkRain

20 April 2009 06:57 (UK time)

@Blacksheep2n

Yes, it's very important to have smart allies on your side. ;)

ParaSait

20 April 2009 17:24 (UK time)

Blacksheep2n wrote:
there is nothing as frustrating as waiting for a dumb AI that is on your side to do some thing useful
YEAH. Gosh, I hate that =P
If I'm dead and I have to wait for the bots to start making sense (Which is rare), well, there is nothing more handy than the kill bots command. ^_^

Although, in Meteor I think this is not a problem cause the player doesn't respawn, so no need to wait either. If the AI could be as smart as in Counter Strike, I'd be very happy already; Compared to the AI in Meteor 1 and 2 ;)

Edited: 20 April 2009 17:27

Blacksheep1q

25 April 2009 18:50 (UK time)

despite the fact that the allied AI doesn't play as big of a role as it does in counter strike or Battle Field the fact that in meteor 2 you could have them follow you but they always got stuck on some thing that's the point I'm getting at (though now that I think of it having the allied AI take a slightly bigger role might be a good Idea)
Animate this!

Spy

09 May 2009 12:21 (UK time)

I would want... wait I can't remember! I forgot it a few weeks ago! But: I would want to have first person or third person shooter moddability... And give projectiles options to like: Go through obstacles and/or enemies, and make some weapons spread fire, like a grenade! I would want tactical and stelth gameplay aswell, an interesting story and multi-coloured graphics! :)

ParaSait

09 May 2009 14:43 (UK time)

@Naval War

I would want to have first person or third person shooter moddability
I think that is possible with this all new "camera scripting" thing. Perhaps it's going to be even possible to make an Alone in the Dark/Resident Evil/Dino Crisis-like camera (Kinda cinematic). Or maybe that you see Ash at the left or right side of the screen, giving you vision to aim, who knows? Would be very sugoi and omoshiroi if it's true :D

And give projectiles options to like: Go through obstacles and/or enemies, and make some weapons spread fire, like a grenade!
What is the point of projectiles going through enemies, anyway? :D
But yeah, I think the projectile scripting will be able to realise most of this.

I would want tactical and stelth gameplay aswell
Yeeah..... Actual enemy AI... *_* (drools)

an interesting story
Well, @ James, if you ever need a storyline, I'd love to help ^_^

Edited: 09 May 2009 14:44

DarkRain

09 May 2009 16:49 (UK time)

I hope there will be different heights like the heights in Rod 3d. And also, new kinds of enemies. ;)

Blacksheep1q

09 May 2009 18:08 (UK time)

give projectiles options to like: Go through obstacles and/or enemies :)

I like this Idea the fact being that you could line up your enemies and shoot threw all of them (one bullet 3 kills) it would also make it easier to do AP rounds which were non-existent in M2 but should have been seeing as their was armor. some thing else I'd like to see is duel wielding weapons wield a SMG and an XM8. limitations of coarse you wouldn't wield a RPG and a fusion cannon together that is just too difficult due to size.
Animate this!

Edited: 09 May 2009 18:24

Canuck

10 May 2009 00:34 (UK time)

yeah, dual wielding would be awesome. The projectile ideas are good too, may i suggest we add an 'arcing projectile' option? it would make grenades and artillery shells and aerial bombs much better

Dthdealer

10 May 2009 07:24 (UK time)

Sector Creation: square adding
By using a repeated tile-size texture we can in M2 create sectors that mimic M1 tiles. However this is not an easy or fast process, and so normally the first solution that comes to mind is Ctrl+dragging square-tile sized sectors. However after a while there are hundreds having to be rendered at once (causing a low-framerate) that you cannot change the settings of unless you do so on every single one.

The solution - by making a tool that uses a tile-sized cursor but just adds or subtracts from a normal sector.
See the image for more details.
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

Edited: 10 May 2009 07:48

DarkRain

10 May 2009 09:39 (UK time)

;)@Dthdealer

Great ideas! ;) This method is also used in the map editor of 'Tzar'.

Edited: 10 May 2009 09:41

ParaSait

10 May 2009 12:25 (UK time)

@Dthdealer

Yeah I suggested the tile-sector thing before, it would indeed be an awesomeness feature.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use