You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  User Files  \  Command and conquer TFD patch

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Command and conquer TFD patch

me_mantis

22 February 2006 15:24 (UK time)

This patch may fix Command and Conquer: The First Decade's red alert networking and internet issues.

Tell me if you got it to work!

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

James Bunting
23 February 2006 01:30 (UK time)

Erm this is a Meteor forum but perhaps we should call it "Meteor and Mantis' Stuff". But I like RA1 so that makes it OK...

<b>Ok here is my TFD ramble session...</b>

I did a bit of reading up on the patch, is it just the old v3.03 patch?

I read some instructions someplace that were linked to from the Westwood site..
http://strike-team.net/nuke/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=84

If these really describe how the RA1 connection system works (wchat etc) then they have really screwed things up. Wchat was rubbish when RA1 was new, nowadays its a joke.

If you can install RA1 out of the box with a decent connection system (and no patches) then it would be worth buying it, else just stick with Kali, it is much cleaner.

And I quote...

<i>10) After the game is over the following error message will appear. Click OK and shut down Command and Conquer via the Task Manager and exit Westwood Chat. Restart the process from step 4 to play another game.</i>

And EA really endorse this lol!

Mind you we are talking about the same company that famously (and strongly) recommended disabling your anti-virus sofware while playing Generals on-line!

Oh and someone tell EA that when I play Generals my mouse goes right off onto my second monitor and I can't scroll properly (so obviously I don't play much). Their (hilarious) support system makes a note of this bug and basically says "yeah we know and thats the end of it".

Shame really.

Anyway RA1 is a kick ass game and it could use a real update to make it just work (RA2 is good too but the connection interface is OK). The Red Alert games formulae works well with the vague "Allies" thing.

Generals just aint the same, its far too country specific (namely American), I am not American and it just does not appeal, like most people I want to imagine that I am controlling my own nation's army or an allied force. I reckon that if you are an American Generals fan then you may initially find this view surprising.

<hr>
So give me a genuine compelling reason as to why I should storm down to the shops and purchase TFD, duplicating my "it works fine already" C&C games collection?

No really do because I may be missing something here as the changes are unclear. Are there any?

Edited: 23 February 2006 01:31

James Bunting
23 February 2006 01:43 (UK time)

So why not post your best C&C games here, as in which you like the best.

Here are my choices out of 10.

C&C: 6/10 (great back in 1995, better than WarCraft 2!)
RA1: 11/10 (still playing in the morning, did not go outside of a couple o weeks, this game just has it)
TS: you mean BS, lets just forget about this on, dog tanks lol
RA2: 6/10 (Ok but getting carried away with strange units like Yuris and those dodgey tanks, i.e. story starting to degrade)
YR: 0/10 (plays bad, way too carried away, just don't)
REN: 9/0 (MP is really great, SP is moderate but enjoyable)
GEN: -1/10 (nooooooooooooooo! Nice game engine though)

Edited: 23 February 2006 01:48

me_mantis

23 February 2006 02:02 (UK time)

Meteor2 and Mantis stuff =D lol that would be a nice name, but
I just thought that all the nice people who come here would like to play networked with the nice new patch. The TFD DIDN'T let you network ra1, and the whole world was in an uproar.

It has been reworked, so it is likely to let you play TFD RA1 networked.

We all probably have play C&C games, and still do. Untill meteor2 Real Time Stratigy mode is created.

Here are my choices out of 10.

C&C: 5/10 (not very balenced MP games. Just engineer rush.. the tanks can't stop you ever!)

RA1: 12/10 (I still play this online and networked =D Best rts ever.)

TS: 8/10 (Loads of stuff.. not very good implementation untill the FireStorm patch)

RA2: 9/10 (Good internet play, but too many noobs play same dumb maps the same dumb way.)

YR: 4/10 (Some good feature, more lousy features. Yuri.)

REN: Never played it =\

GEN: played once. Its NOT a cnc game. Its starcraft reskinned.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

23 February 2006 14:13 (UK time)

i've played c&c tiberian dawn. i find it difficult. im unable to finish it -> so i never got to the end of the storyline
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

James Bunting
23 February 2006 20:15 (UK time)

Yes that last GDI mission with the Nod temple is hard, I never really played the Nod missions much.

It seems that Mantis' opinions shadow my own (well near enough), its nice to know that I am not the only one that did not get the Generals thing much.

Are you sure you never played Renegade? Thats amazing. I thought we played that TS mod once but then again that could have been JohnWE.

I find the Renegade MP works really well but saying that the game never really took off for some reason.

James

arezey

23 February 2006 20:16 (UK time)

I am now just thinking, should this thread be in the Renegade forum?

40oz
 Official Sponsor

25 February 2006 19:55 (UK time)

The only C&C series ive ever played was Generals. I liked it a bit, but i mainly wanted it for playing C&C with 3d models, as the sprites on some games like starcraft got a bit boring.

Starcraft is still loads of fun to me, but there are many areas that I wish were changed. Only holding 12 units in a group at a time is frustrating! Protoss can win any battle to the end, as long as they have enough time. Zerg would almost always die first, as they dont have a "Strongest Unit", The Ultralisk is not good enough. I wished Starcraft had a "Attack Terrain", like C&C since, I could still see where my enemies burrowed, or cloaked, even though my units can't. I wished building things was at least slightly faster, too time consuming to wait for everything to get built.

But recently, ive given up my interest in RTS games, as one war can take up a whole day. I don't like the feeling of destroying the enemy team is the only thing productive i did all day, so quick action games are my theme now.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Karate Pawn

25 April 2006 22:18 (UK time)

i didnt even know they had a patch out for RA!
ill DL it anyway

as for rating C&C games

C&C: 6/10 (good single player and story, havent played mp)

RA1: 8/10 (better mp than C&C and also had a good story)

TS: 5/10 (i didnt like this story very much but the mp and th map generator was good)

FS: 7/10 (a good expnasion with balancing unitsto even out the mp)

RA2: 9/10 (probably the best online game yet, comps are way too easy on skirmish and sp, even on brutal)

YR: 5/10 (an okay expansion some good stuff and some bad with a decent story)

REN: 6/10 (good single player even though the charactors are blocky and edgy, havent played mp)

GEN: 5/10 (not a traditional C&C game but its alright, the story is kinda wierd)

ZH: 3.5/10 (it didnt bring alot into generals but a new sp)

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use