You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Editing  \  Meteor 2: The Enlisted

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Meteor 2: The Enlisted

Assain

27 August 2005 22:52 (UK time)

This is a mod im working on, and its no where near complete. A rough estimate of when it will be done will be MABEY summer of 2006 (this could change if i get some help on this mod). The following screenshot of the mod was taken during the Beta of M2 when i start working on it. The progress has been halted sence then.

What to expect: A semi-medium in length campange where each level will be large, dynamic (as in, several floors of action on one level, i might use M2's feature of continuing on another level so the slowdown wont be bad, but this would reduce the flexibility of exploring the level to find the objective), HEAVILY detailed, and HEAVILY scripted (as in, you will NOT find one single AI person that is set to "Roam" by default; they will all be attached to some sort of script that could affect the level).

I HOPE to use 99% orignal textures and graphics, although my graphic making skills with textures might be lacking (im not sure, havent made one before).

The mod will focus mainly on a unique and fun ONLINE experience, adding "missions" such as "Defend" and "Attack", where one team must attack an objective, and another must defend, "Seek and retrieve", where you have to find somthing before the enemy, and more.

This mod is supposed to be as real as possible, with the possiblilty to do a "sniper aim" with almost ALL weapons (to simulate aiming), realistic true-to-real-life reload times, vehicle speeds, and more. This mod will be very, VERY infintry based, as in, your opportunities to drive in a vehicle will be very slim, if at all, although i will probilby add a mission where vehicles are involved at one point. This would be tricky, as i plan on having the vehicle be in proportion with the people/buildings, which means on could possibly take up half the screen at the mods current size infintry. I will probibly reduce the size of infintry to about half or so. Just imagine the size of a dime (about 2cm or so), will be infintry size if i decided to resize it so i could fit more in the top-down space on 800x600, which could also mean vehicle type missions would fit in eventually.

This screen shot so far shows ALL of the mods progress. As in, basic Allied infintry graphics and the M16A2 and M4 weapons have been made (need to work on the projectiles and sounds however)

Edited: 27 August 2005 22:54

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

28 August 2005 18:51 (UK time)

The enlisted? Is this basically the entire story of M2 at a different perspective?

I like the screenshot, those troopers look really sweet. I'm looking forward to it.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Assain

28 August 2005 19:08 (UK time)

The story has nothing to do with M2 though, it has to do with modern day. The senerios will range from an Alaskan Pipline attacked by russian terriorsts, to house-to-house searches in the middle of Bagdahd.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

28 August 2005 20:17 (UK time)

Awesome, I can't wait.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

arezey

29 August 2005 15:00 (UK time)

I can't wait too.

Edited: 29 August 2005 15:01

Dead Silence

30 August 2005 01:42 (UK time)

looks good got plans for MP?

Assain

30 August 2005 02:07 (UK time)

Yes, my plan was to have the mod mainly be a fun and interesting MP experience, by haveing online "missions". i.e. one side of players attacks and the other side defends, for example.

The SP is probibly going to be somewhat small/average in length. Mabey half-3/4ths of what M2's campange was, probibly less.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

30 August 2005 05:44 (UK time)

you should make a campaign included that is directly for coop, being more enemies, and complicated operations that would be near impossible to do alone.

I think I may make a mod like that lol, but then again, its just another mod added to my list of dreams that i may never accomplish. (For example: my Doom TC)
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 30 August 2005 05:45

arezey

30 August 2005 05:49 (UK time)

I was going to make Antartica the same. One level is the train station when the player meets lots of Arctic Terrorists and then he calls of the good guys and they break the wall and come to help you with Super Miniguns and Air Scouts.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

30 August 2005 06:12 (UK time)

By using my super cool "Attack trigger" unit that was invisible and didnt hold any weapons, but an enemy could attack it with a rocket launcher, and the explosion would blow through destroyable tiles, that could set the player free from, oh say, a jail cell like the one in my WW3 mod where allied soldiers shoot a rocket launcher at the invisible "Attack Trigger" that blows up the destroyable tiles that set you free from the enemy clutches, or like the part in Serenity City, also in my WW3 mod where the Mechs blow through the inside of the building by shooting at the invisible "Attack Triggers" then come marching through the huge crater in... what once was a wall, then come plowing through everything to get towards you?

*takes a deep breath*

wow that was a big sentence!
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 30 August 2005 06:14

arezey

30 August 2005 11:29 (UK time)

The Attack Triggers were a clever move. Then I took this into test and made a 2:1 copy of the Attack Triggers. I too made a trigger that had no projectile stop. I then placed some minigun turrets shooting them and it made a nice forcefield. I could use this but it lagged CivilWar. When I turned the Unit Info mode off, it looked like the allies really were clever and made you free.

Edited: 30 August 2005 11:30

Assain

30 August 2005 21:37 (UK time)

I was actually planning on doing this. Such as, when i want the enemies/allies to simulate surpressive fire down a field while you/allies advance and try not to get hit by the enemy's shooting at the "invisable" objects. The objects would remain invincable until a trigger script happened that made one destroyable and cause an emey to attack a target. Then the object would re-appear again invincable after a certain time limit.

Hopefully all these fancy event/sector triggoring will create an intense and realistic battlefield.

Assain

31 August 2005 22:53 (UK time)

Ok. Time to make a descion in making my sprites.

#1. Should i use in-game models/real images and "cut/paste" them into a sprite?

Why this is Good: The creation on sprites will take ALOT less time; the sprites will be ALOT higher quality.

#2. Should I continue to do the current method of making them from scratch?

Why this is Good: Will increase my skills in learning how to properly make a transition (i will eventually learn this though, i AM in a multimedia class right now), the sprites will be original

No matter what descision is made, i will use a mix in both, but the main sprites (objects, people, units) would be made from scratch OR the cut+paste method. Please help me decide this! I am 50/50 on both accounts, and school is starting, so i dont have alot of time to work on this.

James Bunting
01 September 2005 01:22 (UK time)

Clearly I use a combination of both methods. The trick is not to make it too real (like the Beetle car) and not too cartoony (like the sudan cars).

Often a photo of a plasic toy with plenty of editing works well (like the blue 4x4 car).

Oh and textures are easy, get a digicam and point it at the ground lol.

Edited: 01 September 2005 01:23

arezey

01 September 2005 18:10 (UK time)

I made my sprites from scratch, with MS Paint. Not the best sprites in my mod, eh?

Edited: 02 September 2005 05:30

arezey

01 September 2005 18:11 (UK time)

Edited: 02 September 2005 05:31

Assain

01 September 2005 21:27 (UK time)

Please dont do that :p

arezey

02 September 2005 05:28 (UK time)

OOps

arezey

03 September 2005 13:21 (UK time)

Hehehe.

Edited: 03 September 2005 13:30

Flammable Maniac

04 September 2005 20:25 (UK time)

Mr. Spam has entered the building!

SPAM

SPAM

SPAM

SPAM

SPAMMETISPAM!

Flammable Maniac

04 September 2005 20:25 (UK time)

I'll be quiet now... :(

arezey

05 September 2005 05:41 (UK time)

Assain, how many levels have you finished?

Assain

05 September 2005 06:35 (UK time)

So far none, i want to finish all of my visuals, weapons, textures, sounds (sound gathering), objects, sprites, ect before i start making the missions.

I do have a plan for the first mission. It will be a Basic Training course, where you can "unlock" other trainings such as Special Forces training, Airborne training, ect. Certain SP mission cannot be played unless you earn the specific "training key". If you dont have the key and you move onto the level that requires it, ill script it so it takes you back to to training level to do it.

Or, ill just have it so the training is sequentual. Such as, you do all of basic, and you play the first quarter of SP. Then, you do Airborne training, and to some airborne missions. And fianlly, Special Forces training and do the final missions that involve Special Forces.

But, it might take a while to get to that step. Basically, i want the mod built before i start working on the missions.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

06 September 2005 00:22 (UK time)

Good idea, Thats what I tried to do in the making of my WW3 mod, but my friends and cousins couldnt give theyre best ideas in units and weapons, before i decided that it was time to make maps, Which is frustrating because i need to go back through all the maps making sure there is enough ammo for the weapons, if there is enough diversity of the new units, etc. \=/
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use