You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Editing  \  Sector composites

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Sector composites

40oz
 Official Sponsor

25 June 2005 16:44 (UK time)

How about being able to pick what the sector is made of? Especially for the footstep sounds that havent been fitted in the game. You could make a metal bridge, and the sector would be composed of metal, and sound like this:
http://www.littlemusicclub.com/steps/MetalLandLite1.wav
so it wouldnt sound the same as if you were walking on the sidewalk, like this sound:
http://slideshowresource.real.com/audio/footstep/concre14.wav

This could affect contact sounds too, so that wood and metal walls dont sound like a cowboy movie when you shoot them. Those riccochet sounds are getting on my nerves. If this doesnt happen then I will probably have to make a patch that makes those sounds quieter
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

Dave Man

25 June 2005 19:53 (UK time)

Well I like the idea of different ricoshade sounds (there especially annoying with my sand bags, bullets don't ricoshade off of sand bags) but for the footsteps, how would you make it so that different units have different footstep sounds. I mean a tank or mech unit doesn't sound like a normal infentry unit when crossing metal.

mike323
25 June 2005 19:55 (UK time)

Footsteps would be hard. Since not all objects walk, you'd have to specify if it does in the object type editor. Also, it would have to sync with sprite frames (walking anims) for a truly effect.

As for the ricochets, I totally agree with ditching the corny sounds. In fact, it was a long time ago that I really got sick of the same old ricochets so I replaced them with much more suttle, quiet ones. (Like you'll see in H2M2) Pff...cowboy movie...lol

40oz
 Official Sponsor

25 June 2005 23:18 (UK time)

Dave Man: thats true, but that could reflect the type of object it is, like when you go to object editor, you could choose the type of object it is. (Tank, Car/Truck, Infantry) Infantry would have footsteps, and vehicles would have... something else.

Mike:You would also pick the time between each step, for example, Colonel Ash steps pretty fast (unbelievably fast, i may have to replace that with a running sprite) so he would have a step speed of a 75 (75/100 of a second) and the other infantry who walk slower will have something like 25.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 25 June 2005 23:22

James Bunting
25 June 2005 23:59 (UK time)

Actually foot steps have been implemented in version 1.0 but making them change from clang clang to splosh splosh is not.

The sounds are set in the Sprite Editor (you will be able to add sounds to frames). It is only really used for the mechs because it gets a bit much when everyone steps around (especially with the same sounds lol).

Aircraft use a loop sound which is also set in the Sprite Editor (one loop sound per sprite). This was tested on cars too but )(like the people footsteps) proved to be annoying.

Assain

26 June 2005 15:03 (UK time)

I just cant wait for directional sounds!

BTW, have you considered a "projectile sound"?

What it is, is a small, low-volume, looping sound that is attached to a projectile when its in flight. This would be for normally rockets and stuff like that. So pretty much, when a rocket fly by you, you can hear it's rocket engine do the ol' doppler effect ;)

This could also be used in bullets (if it works right) to do a "swoosh" sound that can only be heard (because of the volume) if its near the player's hearing distance. You can make some cool effects with this :)

mike323
28 June 2005 00:53 (UK time)

oooh...that would sound great with directional sound.

Ah and James, great thinking putting them per frame.

Dave Man

30 June 2005 00:58 (UK time)

Like in the Matrix, have a slow motion feature to see the bullets zoom slowly buy, along with the sound effects. Now that would be neat.

me_mantis

01 July 2005 02:44 (UK time)

don't worry, all the projectiles zoom slowly along in meteor2 XD but the sfx thing with loops is awesome

in a VERSION OF rod, there was a foot step sound code, and it made differen't sounds, i think.

Edited: 01 July 2005 02:46

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use