You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Editing  \  Your chance to make a real M2 level

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Your chance to make a real M2 level

James Bunting
15 December 2004 00:56 (UK time)

Ok people this is it. If you want to make any levels for the final game then here is the deal.

1) You should know how to use the Map Editor (scripting knowledge is not essential).
2) You will have around 5 days to complete your map!
3) You will only be given a enough information to make a level (or a group of levels), be vague, its fine!
4. You can add your own textures as long as they are named correctly (using _01 suffix in the filaneme, i.e. grass_02.pcx).

Those who are interested (editing starts this weekend) just say so in this thread with your preference of level types from the following list...

- Countryside/village
- Urban/city
- Naval
- Arctic
- Desert

I will post again in this thread in a couple of days to make arrangements for level assignments.

James.

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

LavaBall

15 December 2004 13:57 (UK time)

Ok its uploaded no need for reading this Post.

Edited: 15 December 2004 14:27

LavaBall

15 December 2004 14:24 (UK time)

If theres something missing email me ok.

i suggest you make a copy of meteor 2 instead of extracting them in the current meteor to make sure theres no bugs.

oh check your email it must be uploaded now.

Assain

15 December 2004 22:59 (UK time)

OK im in but i got 1 problem (whitch might make it so i cannot be in lol), and that problem is that my laptop's screen is busted (SMASH!). But ill give you my info anyways, just in case.

Like to make medium-small sized levels, i honestly dont care what type, but i enjoy making populated (as in civiliains/towns/citys/villages) levels, even though i almost never finish them :).

Saying that, i like to create outdoor levels the most, sometimes involving some sort of urban creating (can be small or large) I dont care what kind, as long as a majority of the level is outdoor (or atleast the most importaint parts of level).

Zable Fahr

16 December 2004 00:44 (UK time)

I would really, really like to help, but I'm going on Winter Break starting next week and I may or may not have Internet at home for the duration of the break. I'm also not sure if public libraries will let me attach files to emails (or if I can use email at all).

Maybe if you're really quick I can do as much as I can before I leave for break. If not I'll let you know ahead of time if I can't do it.

Anway, I prefer urban/city maps. More specifically, "base"-type maps (like enemy bases or facilities).

Assain

16 December 2004 23:20 (UK time)

OK good news guys. I just today got my normal CP back and now its rigged with a new 80 GB drive! :D !! Plus a new graphics card (its not super good but its descent enough to run all FPS shooters at normal+ levels). The point is that i can start some map making sometime or another within the week.

Did ya understand my request JB?

Edited: 16 December 2004 23:20

James Bunting
18 December 2004 02:40 (UK time)

Wooah its 02:38 in the morning, man thats bad news for my sleep pattern but good news for M2 lol.

Don't worry Zable I have a special idea up my sleeve for you. Because of this you get a little extra time starting now (lol).

How about making a bunch of levels which make up a huge weapons research and hardened facility? Do whatever you like within this vague description! As for time, well I will wait for the right stuff (don't worry I won't go ahead without your levels lol).

There will be a new beta some time soon, when this is out I will dish out the rest of the "assignments". In the mean time my general advice is <b>just make levels</b> (I can edit them up and fit them in even if they become MP maps)!

Zable Fahr

18 December 2004 03:21 (UK time)

Cool, I'll see what I can do.

P.S. "Bunch of levels" will probably translate to 2-3 unless I manage to get Internet access over the break ;-). I'll do my best though.

P.P.S. Are new units allowed?

Edited: 18 December 2004 03:34

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

18 December 2004 16:24 (UK time)

Level idea: arms warehouse / distribution center infiltration

8 lanes of conveyor belts covered with randomly placed crates. The crate highway would snake around the warehouse in a circuit (so I wouldn't have to spawn new crates every few seconds), perhaps splitting and joining at various processing / labeling areas. The perimiter would have many closed garage door bays with short pieces of asphalt and a few shipping trucks. Player would be required to go against the flow of the slow belts (to make the map last longer). Some lanes could go at different speeds in different places just for fun. Going with the flow would take you to the exit faster, but you'd have to go through a turreted kill zone. Guards and workers will be positioned around the perimiter and at various workstations "working". When the guards see you, they will jump onto the belt. Destroyed crates could hold weapons / ammo / supplies. Perhaps a couple of exploding barrels and flammable crates just for fun. :)
Do flames get carried on treadmills?

Plot: destroy their ability to distribute arms. You have to go through distribution first, because the warehouse exterior is too heavily guarded.
first map: distribution center like i just described.
second map: leads to a warehouse full of crates, explosives, guards, and workers.The exit for the second map would be under a gigantic pile of exploding barrels. (tee hee)

too bad i've never tried mapping. I can't get this one out in time.

Edited: 18 December 2004 16:45

Zable Fahr

18 December 2004 23:05 (UK time)

Neat idea; what would be even more insane was if the *entire* floor was conveyor belts. And walls. And teleporters! But the walls would always have to be parallel to the belts so you can't bump into one while riding a conveyor belt, meaning less time to think.

So it would be one giant snaking maze of insanity with moving crates, moving enemies, and moving teleportation spots!

I have to try this out one day :-)

EDIT: The walls should also be conveyor belts. You can't ride on them of course, but they should appear moving. Just for the effect. Heck, there ought to be parallax too.

EDIT: I'm being serious here :-)

Edited: 18 December 2004 23:08

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

19 December 2004 04:58 (UK time)

So it would be one giant snaking maze of insanity with moving crates, moving enemies, and moving teleportation spots!

basically :-) , but teleporters would just add confusion and annoyance. Things are hectic enough already.

about 80% - 95% of the floor will be conveyor belts. Some stationary islands here and there will give the player rest. Of course belts won't lead into walls.

What do you mean by moving walls? Walls should be stationary objects in this level. If walls "moved" with the belts, it would look like you're not moving at all.

Edited: 19 December 2004 05:01

Zable Fahr

19 December 2004 05:52 (UK time)

Ah, but what if the walls were moving in the opposite direction? :-)

Yeah, there would really be no point. But it would be cool!

Assain

19 December 2004 16:29 (UK time)

That wouldnt work anyways :). If walls moved (trust me, ivve tried lol), then all it does it conveyor ythe player to whereever the conveyors are going, solid or not. When its solid, all it does is make it so you cant move (or shoot pretty much)

James Bunting
19 December 2004 23:30 (UK time)

Zable,

Feel free to make new stuff but try to...

- Keep it reasonable (I am sure you will but this applies to everyone)
- Keep in line with naming conventions (I will publish something about this soom).

For the record graphics files have a 0X_0Y suffix where X is image set number and Y is the frame number.

James.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

20 December 2004 16:40 (UK time)

naming conventions, good idea

if cars could do damage, a 6 lane highway that you'd have to cross on foot would be cool. Teleporters off screen could recycle traffic flow.

Edited: 20 December 2004 16:41

James Bunting
20 December 2004 20:49 (UK time)

Yes that or waypoint loops.

By the way you can get runover by enemy cars (so you could place some enemy sudans down).

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

21 December 2004 01:29 (UK time)

perhaps carjack a non-enemy for the good of the nation.

James Bunting
01 January 2005 01:39 (UK time)

Ok the deadline has been extended somewhat, I will send out a notifiction about this.

The basic idea is that you need to let me know ASAP if you plan to make any maps, I will wait for them for a reasonable time!

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use