You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Editing  \  Risk for buffer overflows?

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Risk for buffer overflows?

ParaSait

13 August 2008 21:38 (UK time)

I plan to make a script wherein I will declare an array. Only, I'm a little frightened that a typical problem would happen with this: A buffer overflow. Is there a risk that this happens in the compiler that M2 uses?

EDIT: Otherwise, I'll declare a way too big array, just to make sure that it doesn't happen ;)

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Edited: 13 August 2008 21:40

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

Canuck

15 August 2008 20:42 (UK time)

Whaaaaahhhhht??? What's an array? Sorry, I really don't understand a lot about programming.

ParaSait

16 August 2008 13:47 (UK time)

Well, you're not supposed to understand; This is a question for James =P

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Dthdealer

16 August 2008 13:53 (UK time)

A buffer-overflow won't make your RAM blow up and hard-drive steam. Just try it.
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Count your fingers. Keep trying. Make sure there's ten.

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Some day the javascript will sleep too.

ParaSait

16 August 2008 13:55 (UK time)

Hah, yeah I know ;)
I'm just afraid for the 'hidden effects'. For example: A buffer overflow causes to overwrite your HP variable, so it makes you have 65536 HP instead of 100 without me knowing it :D

Edited: 16 August 2008 14:00

Dthdealer

16 August 2008 14:04 (UK time)

And how is that bad? :D

If you are worried then just divide all of your variables by 1000 and multiply them by 1000 in the lines of script they are used in.
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Count your fingers. Keep trying. Make sure there's ten.

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Some day the javascript will sleep too.

Edited: 16 August 2008 14:06

ParaSait

16 August 2008 14:11 (UK time)

OK I'll do that :))

Speaking of fast answers, BTW =P

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use