You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  General  \  Meteor RTS?

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Meteor RTS?

Armageddon1212

30 June 2005 16:18 (UK time)

it could be possible to make meteor into an rts? Just bind waypoints to where u click the mouse. And also you could have special units like the player that would be able to enter vehicles.

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

30 June 2005 17:49 (UK time)

I thought about something like that once before. It would be a good idea. Though I wouldn't be the one to do it... too complicated for me.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

me_mantis

01 July 2005 00:32 (UK time)

A really long time ago in the early pre meteor 1.3 oops I mean 1.2 days, I was told by Sir James the Great, that Meteor2 Multiple Player Mode would be kind of like renegade, the players would be able to get credits for destroying enemy structures, and would be able to build base structures, and various other things. There is a possiblilty that this idea may just be fabricated before the initial public beta release.
=D

Hmm I hope I won't be too busy cleaning tomorrow

=D

btw. Nice name pic papercut! What program did you use? Why didn't you get any enemies with a piece of paper?

=D <-- wow 3 smileys something must be up!

d34db34t

04 July 2005 04:37 (UK time)

from what JB told me in the 'Future jbgames' thread in the m2 forum, M1 was originally gonna be an RTS, but then the central character, Ash was added and M1 became what it is today

40oz
 Official Sponsor

06 July 2005 03:27 (UK time)

I heard the same thing that me_mantis said. It was supposed to be the Multiplayer version of the game in the stages when Multiplayer wasnt decided.

And believe it or not, I used MS Paint to make over 35 96x96 GIF images, then pieced it together using Microsoft GIF Animator. It took me like 5 hours to do. I am surprised it worked, it said that icons must be under 20KB, yet my icon is 73KB lol. Doesnt it rock? I could watch it over and over again. Being how well i did that little movie, I plan on making more. If you guys would like one I could THINK about making one for you.

I never heard about Meteor starting out as an RTS, but I am sure glad i got to play the meteor it is today, otherwise i wouldnt have downloaded it. Don't get me wrong, RTSes are good but at M1's screenshots, I wouldn't think it appeal to me. M1 is basically the game that made games like the Battlefield 1942 series awesome. What I liked about M1 is that it basically was an RTS, except you controlled 1 person. (Kinda like Battlefield 1942.)
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 06 July 2005 03:36

Assain

06 July 2005 16:45 (UK time)

Wow, your really living in the old time arnt you? Just use Gimp, much better ^.^

Anyways, you seem like you can do transitions (aka animations) very well... could you supply any tips on how to make it so your animation/person looks like is actually moving, without butchering the picture/spending 30minutes on the next frame ;P

40oz
 Official Sponsor

07 July 2005 01:09 (UK time)

you dont have to redo a whole image from scratch, open your last one, edit a persons movement slightly, when save as "something else"

I was making it while i was on vacation since i couldn't get online from a different state, so i used my spare time to make an icon.

EDIT: Oh yeah and use a lot of cut and paste.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 07 July 2005 01:13

James Bunting
20 July 2005 10:00 (UK time)

Yes its true Meteor was originally going to be and RTS called TFO (no idea what that stands for).

As for M2 multiplayer its too early to tell. There should however be a number of different game modes.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

20 July 2005 18:29 (UK time)

really, you only need coop, team deathmatch, and regular deathmatch. The rest can be done by scripting. Memantis is already on CTF.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

me_mantis

20 July 2005 23:31 (UK time)

Hee hee hee... I wasn't too busy cleaning, but the script commands i needed were missing =D =D =D <---yup why are they still here? (remote c4 or fusion bombs I can't decide)

James Bunting
21 July 2005 00:27 (UK time)

Team deathmatch is quite important although I like the idea of it being base driven with vehicles and stuff.

I don't see much point of running around in regular team deathmatch, besides that would be an element of the above.

Armageddon1212

23 July 2005 00:25 (UK time)

Will there be AI in Multi player like squads or something? :D James i sent u an email and im not 5 years old lol. Im 13 :p

40oz
 Official Sponsor

26 July 2005 17:34 (UK time)

wait a second... [waits a second and appears to be in a flashback] if i recall correctly, in the older versions of m1, i remember seeing a sprite of an infantry except he was dressed in yellow. it was named "TFO Trooper" I could be wrong but I'm almost positive i saw it
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

26 July 2005 17:37 (UK time)

and will it be possible to download a map through meteor 2 by joining on someones IP and he/she's using a map that you dont have? That would be neat.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

arezey

27 July 2005 19:48 (UK time)

Hey, I'm 13 too!

Dave Man

28 July 2005 02:01 (UK time)

Yeah and I'm 18, anyways, what are the ages of the members around here?

40oz
 Official Sponsor

28 July 2005 03:18 (UK time)

btw I like your animated icon, it came out quite well
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

arezey

28 July 2005 09:22 (UK time)

Thanks.

EDIT: Me_mantis, how old you are?

Edited: 28 July 2005 12:26

me_mantis

28 July 2005 22:00 (UK time)

People in Japan Start out at 1 year old, so if i moved there I'd be 19 =D
I have been playing meteor since I was 13 or so.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

30 July 2005 17:49 (UK time)

I started playing around the age of 11. My Uncle gave me a CD that he saved a load of freeware games to. Meteor just happened to be one of them. i noticed the jbgames.co.uk link in the bottom corner of the main menu (well it was .co.uk at the time) and when i got to the site i was like 1-3 updates behind lol. Downloaded the updates, and then realized that Meteor was the most rockin game around. evantually i attempted to join the forums, but my account wouldnt respond. whenever i signed on, my username wouldnt be signed on. It was really frustrating when people would make a topic asking a question, then other people would reply "gee, I dunno..." and I would be the only one who knew the answer lol. 1/2 year later, James solves my account and made a whopping 21 posts on the first day lol (I think thats the number, well I know it was big) Then I went working on a mod, that I have been planning since i first found out about meteors editors. when i first saw that and tried it out, meteor was officially the coolest game i had ever played. I began working on a mod. I didnt have anything planned out at the time, i just made like 100 maps and picked out the good ones. which is sort of how i patched my mod together. After i mailed james my full mod, he replied with an attachment, of 6 screenshots of the new game... Meteor 2 itself. He never actually mentioned the name, but I could tell with the sectors and new weapon graphics. yep and after that M2 screenshots were revealed to the public and it all became extremely popular into what it is today.

But then again you didnt ask for my History did you?
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Dave Man

30 July 2005 18:21 (UK time)

Well that sure is a intersting way to make a mod... I started playing meteor when I was about 13 or so after I found it on Gamehippo. I then become hooked on it and decided to make my arm101 mod (which the correct version still hasn't been released). After a year or two I finially finished it and gave it to James. Then I decided to introduce a story line to make more mods on which I am working on my second The City mod. I don't know wether I will make my third planned mod, True Self, though in M2. Maybee I will. Oh, and what's wrong with talking about your histroy, there's always a story there.

arezey

30 July 2005 19:51 (UK time)

I am a quite a young-starter. I started at age 10. Player about 3 years. Started CivilWar Modding about a half year ago. My history is quite the same. I got a game CD with meteor with it. I tried them all and then it was the best game ever!(Probably because of the editors, I dunno why.) Now I'm asking for MP maps, I just have no MP map ideas. You can mail me if you want to make me one (santeri.piippo@regionline.fi).

Edited: 30 July 2005 19:51

40oz
 Official Sponsor

01 August 2005 06:00 (UK time)

i was especially interested in the modern combat with the future laser gun twist, using modern weapons and some weapons we could hope to expect in the future. Then I saw the editors and i completely stopped every other game i was playing. I was doing almost 1 new map a week. (not all of them were good)
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

arezey

03 August 2005 14:54 (UK time)

I use a few days to make a map and when I do other maps, I modify the earlier maps (I forget to place sprites and message triggers usually :p).

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use