You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  General  \  meteor music

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: meteor music

unkel joe

02 November 2004 03:57 (UK time)

ok people are ignoring the old meteor forum, so can anyone listen here?

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

James Bunting
02 November 2004 21:20 (UK time)

I read your post but it was not that clear. Meteor 1 does not support midi files, is there a reason for wanting midis?

IMYSC2000T

03 November 2004 00:57 (UK time)

I already answered him on the other forum, but to answer you, James, yeah I want MIDIs!!!! I was gonna ask for MIDI support (I have some MIDIs from games like DooM that I wanna play in Meteor without having to convert them to MP3 first). Besides it's always gooder (LOL! Heh! Yeah I said "gooder"!) to have support for more types of music (or of anything else, for that matter). :)

unkel joe

03 November 2004 07:49 (UK time)

what he said ^

me_mantis

03 November 2004 15:12 (UK time)

Midi support is completely not needed. If you would like to listen to a midi song in meteor2, dl modplug tracker@ modplug.com you can use it to transform midi's into .it s and vice versa.
Also, included with every windows coumputer since windows 95, is a program called windiws media player. This is a digital audio and video program capable of playing midi tracks. You can run this program in the background while you play meteor. =-)

James Bunting
04 November 2004 00:21 (UK time)

Thats handy to know. I am not sure that I want to revisit the Meteor 1 code right now so MPT is your best bet.

unkel joe

04 November 2004 00:49 (UK time)

i just want them in mid so i can play the tunes on my mobile. its an nec e313

IMYSC2000T

04 November 2004 21:42 (UK time)

me_mantis: Umm, yeah I know about all of those. In fact I know about other ones that you're probably never even heard of, that turn WAVs to MIDIs and MIDIs to MP4s and etc.... But the primary reason want midi support in either Meteor 1 OR Meteor 2 is because another format supported would make it (the game) that much better. Besides noone's ever gonna go and rip 40 MIDIs from a Doom IWAD and convert them to .it one by one so he/she can listen to them.

me_mantis

08 November 2004 15:52 (UK time)

Well, If you have not actually tried mpt, you should really not make assumptions. all you have to do is open and save each song. I guess 80 mouse clicks will really be a finger workout, but its really that simple. If Meteor2 used midi songs, they would sound different on each computer.

James Bunting
08 November 2004 23:12 (UK time)

As suspected Meteor does not support midis because they are very poor quality and they vary depending on your sound card.

Mods are just like midis except that the instrument sounds (call them samples or whatever) are encapsulated in each file. Midi files rely on your sound card's samples (they simply reference them).

Me_mantis is right, just convert them using MPT after all you only need to convert them once. A lot of phones play MP3s, the cool thing is that MPT can turn mods into MP3s too.

The only thing I am not sure about is how MPT maps the mod samples to the midi samples on your sound card. Mind you I think he knows more about this stuff than me.

IMYSC2000T

17 November 2004 04:21 (UK time)

Well I think this is still more of a matter-of-opinion thing. I personally wouldn't do that, but others are welcome to do as they wish. For me it doesn't work, and it would be more convenient to have direct support for the format. Also, I know of a few Doom modders who would take slightly more interest in Meteor modding if it supported MIDs (they have Doom MUS files converted to MIDIs). Furthermore, I should mention that I DO know all about MIDIs, how they are, what the MIDI format is like, and how it's similar or different in contrast to MODs, for example. And I personally DO know that they would sound different with different soundcards, having tried many different PCs with different sound cards that used different MIDI instruments. But that shouldn't really make the overall theme of a song change to a point where it's no longer in the same vein as the mood and atmosphere of the game. Anyways, that's my comment/opinion on the subject/matter.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use