You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  General  \  let's talk about rtss here

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: let's talk about rtss here

me_mantis

05 September 2009 03:23 (UK time)

First off, here's the current WIP.
You don't have to worry about sector issues. You can respawn and join your team as much as you want - Just jump on the start node, and you're good 2 go.

Also, I just found out that you can alter the multiplayer match time. So I've added 3 buttons to the MCC that you can use to alter it.

#1. Add 10 Minutes - play for 5 hours if you like.. or...
#2. Remove timer - play as long as you like
 TimeLimit = -1;
(you can type this into the console in any mp game) I'm pretty excited about this feature =P
#3. End Match - Sets the timer to 15 seconds, so you can finish your match after somebody has one.

I'd like to hear what you think about it.. I want to make it more fun. =)

I usually start by jumping into the helicopter, flying around collecting lots of money, and teching up to level 10, and then I'll build the $50,000 cruise missile, and raid the enemy base, preferably getting their factory and MCC. This puts 'em outta service. Then I'll generally drive over with a tank (doom tank) and blow up the rest of the stuff. Then to win, I plant mini-gun turrets all around the spawn point. (you win when your opponent is too demoralized to play anymore :p )

Most of the time, I usually try to tech up, get in a tank battle, and die, and then lose part of my base to a cruise missile, and then get lots of turrets around my base, grab all the weapons, and then die after a few sidewinder missile raids, and then rush again with some basic tanks, and then drop c4 on buildings and use c4 and explode things. Then I take my MCC over and plant my nice little turrets on the start point.

What do you think needs to change? Do we need smaller maps? Are the maps good? Should I make it possible for everybody to get AI controlled vehicles that fight for you?

(and remember kiddies, the derrick will explode, and can ruin your base or can be used to explode an enemy base!)(^^,)

Edited: 05 September 2009 03:45

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

ParaSait

05 September 2009 11:24 (UK time)

Yay, RTSS is alive again \(^^,)/
The size of the maps is ok, AI controlled vehicles would be awesome indeed (^^,)
Will you also fix that bug in MP where the joining player can't join a team anymore when he died once?

EDIT: Oh nvm, just saw you're working on it heh.

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Edited: 05 September 2009 14:01

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

05 September 2009 17:10 (UK time)

ai control would be nice, and any new features are welcomed
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

me_mantis

05 September 2009 18:51 (UK time)

Currently, -not sure if it was in the last release or not- you can make AI controlled units from the barracks - they're placed after the ammo section.

The host can build AI controlled vehicles because of his ability to click the AI button. This allows him to have AI controlled helicopters, planes, doom tanks, and anything he wants.

There are some issues with it - such as the host gets full RTS style mouse control, but the clients don't get such control.

I'm redoing the buying ammo system, and adding a feature that lets you buy everything in one click.

Would anybody be interested in creating a cool graphic mashup showing the tech levels, and what you can purchase at them for what amount of money, and potentially how much damage it does?

me_mantis

06 September 2009 02:02 (UK time)

So, I played RTSS today with my bro.

We had quite the interesting game. We played it on and off all day, and James eventually won. (I suppose sitting on his money spawn point and getting over 2million was a plus.)
I have AI enabled, so anybody can build AI-roaming vehicles. It is not balanced for such insanity, and was pretty bad. We had huge battles with tons of units, and it was pretty intense.

Then James made about 50 dark jets which cleaned up the entire battlefield since they're overpowered. (and only $1000)

So, I'm going to tweak the balance (aka prices) and potentially make it so you can't send swarms of planes screaming across the map.

Here's a cool picture of my doom tanks taking out His sniper turrets before he flooded the map with planes.

I'm also going to set it up so you can't buy things from enemy buildings, or even hide in them for more than a second.

I'll simply make 3 different objects "rtsbarracks1.ob" "rtsbarracks2.ob" "rtsbarracks3.ob"
And have the script for when you get in them check to see if they are your type. This will completely eliminate the need to set up anything but the spawn coords in scripting.

Amazingly enough we didn't experience any crashing until the game couldn't place any extra sprites or power-ups, and we had both build around 100 planes each.

DarkRain

06 September 2009 08:34 (UK time)

@me_mantis[keens]

Great mod! ;)
The Dark Age is upon us! Quake 2 mapmaker.

1up

10 September 2009 02:17 (UK time)

So, I'm going to tweak the balance (aka prices) and potentially make it so you can't send swarms of planes screaming across the map. -Me_Mantis

Hey now, it's a legitimate strategy! Airstrikes are overpowered as you mentioned however, so I just simply modded them to use 2 minigun attachments as their weapons. With your new changes, however, I can finally use them to kill tanks. Joy.
"...And with his fight money, he bought two of each animal on earth, then he herded them onto a boat, where he beat the crap out of every single one!*bangs grenades together*" -Team Fortress 2 Soldier
Headshot! Double Kill! Triple Kill! Overkill! killtacular! Killtastrophe! Killimanjaro! Killprocalypse!... Kil-Killionaire?! What happened to kill#9?!
"Oh shit, hes got THE HALO 1 PISTOL! RUUUUUUN!"
"Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet." -Red Sniper

Edited: 10 September 2009 02:17

me_mantis

10 September 2009 02:57 (UK time)

when you can buy an ai controlled plane for the same price as a fusion cannon charge, things are kinda messed up.

When you can sit on the place where the money spawns, get $100,000, and then send 100 planes across the map, it's just not cool.

I'm setting up the "No jumping in the enemy base" part of the mod.

I might also fix the fusion cannon so it shoots straight... that'd be cool, eh?

1up

10 September 2009 03:05 (UK time)

@me_mantis[keens]

heh actually the "It's a legitimate strategy" quote was from a Red vs Blue episode... and why in sam hell did you ever make a jet plane cost as much as a container full of deuterium and tritium? (I realize that this is a bad example as deuterium and tritium is extremely difficult to extract.)
"...And with his fight money, he bought two of each animal on earth, then he herded them onto a boat, where he beat the crap out of every single one!*bangs grenades together*" -Team Fortress 2 Soldier
Headshot! Double Kill! Triple Kill! Overkill! killtacular! Killtastrophe! Killimanjaro! Killprocalypse!... Kil-Killionaire?! What happened to kill#9?!
"Oh shit, hes got THE HALO 1 PISTOL! RUUUUUUN!"
"Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet." -Red Sniper

me_mantis

10 September 2009 16:45 (UK time)

Version zero point something revealed!!

Updates:

factory costs $15000
dropsite costs $25000
Bombshop costs $10000

These costs were increased because I'm not a fan of being about to build vehicles as fast as basic stuff. I want the game to have more of a spread out kinda feel.

Chinook - $5000
Darkjet - $10000
Stingray - $5000

This stuff was to cheap, and made tanks pretty much worthless. Plus, air vehicles can fly, and tanks have to slowly drive across the map. I think the game needed more focus on tanks instead of aircraft. This way, they're more special.

The missile is still $200. I should probably up that, cuz it can do $300 damage, and it flies.

I should probably list the cost of everything and it's tech and fix it up so it is all better balanced. Then I'm gonna balance the maps.

I changed all the map scripts to .c instead of .sc so meteor 2 wouldn't tell me it had to keep looking.

Also, Here's the new formula for making maps.. It's very very simple now, only gotta set 4 variables, add the start units in a closed location, and put in a way point in the map for Chinook pickups. This is the entire .c file you'll need to use when you make a new rtss map.

#title " RTS Platform"
#author "me_mantis"

#include meteor2
#include "RTSS\maps\RTSS\RTSS.c"

//This is the basic Script File you will need with your RTSS Maps.

//Enjoy!
export OnMapStart;

void OnMapStart()
{
Start();//the rtss.dat can handle the startup. =D

StaticFlags[20] = 623; //Side 1's starting x location
StaticFlags[21] = 815;//Side 1's starting y location
StaticFlags[22] = 8943;//Side 2's starting x location
StaticFlags[23] = 9247;//Side 2's starting y location
}

I also think I'll probably make more vehicles.

edit: it's up!

Edited: 10 September 2009 18:42

me_mantis

12 September 2009 03:13 (UK time)

Yay!

Now we're talkin!

We've got the homing missile scripting integrated into the mod.

Try it out with the stingray,, darkplane, or bomber.

Mines and a time bomb are now available from the bomb shop.

Next step?

Combine RTSS with Ravagers of time.

(well, maybe not, but that would probably be pretty epic.. tanks vs nights on horseback... and dragons.)

Play it 'n' have fun. Lemme know what ya think.

Spy

12 September 2009 16:42 (UK time)

Nice, here's a few ideas: Make a RESEARCH STATION where you can research techs and upgrades, rather than collecting them randomly around the map. There should be resources like scrap metal or crystals or wood or something rather than just credits what you have to find through the map, credits should be "bonus" resources. Then you would allways (maybe) start with a mining truck, that would be quite slow, but alot of HP, to mine/collect resources, and a REFINERY for that. I also thought, the first buildable tank would be the light tank, then you could upgrade it in the research station, first medium tank with 1 cannon, second with 2 cannons, third a heavy tank and so on... Oh, and when placing buildings there should be an area indicator where the bulding comes. (crosshair?) This will need alot of scripting but I think it's worth it! It would also rule to have the enemy counter-attack on your base... Yeah, and an attack/defend mode, other team attacking the "hill" and other team defending it, objective to destroy the core. And, when bulding and producing units, there should be a timer when the unit is complete, rather than immediately completion, same goes for researching and structure building. Nice work so far, keep it up! ;)
I was known as Naval War before.
I love and mod Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
Also an active osu! player: https://osu.ppy.sh/u/3971179

Edited: 12 September 2009 16:48

ParaSait

12 September 2009 17:56 (UK time)

@Spy

Click "Edit", press enter at some places, and then I'll probably have enough courage to read that post. o.O

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Edited: 12 September 2009 18:15

DarkRain

12 September 2009 18:22 (UK time)

@me_mantis[keens]

Great new improvements! ;)
The Dark Age is upon us! Quake 2 mapmaker.

me_mantis

16 September 2009 21:55 (UK time)

I forgot to mention, that now, you cannot get inside the enemy buildings, so you can't run into their base, and build stuff.

should I make it so you will be shot at by AI if you're in a base building, or in the chinook?

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use