You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  General  \  Good News, Bad News

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Good News, Bad News

Canuck

25 August 2008 04:45 (UK time)

Papercut wrote:

Haha it would be even funnier if we passed an HH map around and did no edits to it but add scripts. (Said in the 'T3H SCR1PT1NG B4TTL3 =3' thread)

Well, here's something to that effect.... A map called 'Good News, Bad News'. Here's how it works. I've uploaded a map that features a single allied Tech Bloke standing in the middle of a concrete pad, with the player circling around him as an uncontrollable bird. The goal is to either kill the Tech Bloke before the 'player' completes one full circle around him, or keep him alive for the same amount of time.

I've gotten it started by adding a Standard Pistol Trooper just below the Tech Bloke. The next person to download the map should try to protect him somehow, following these rules.

#1: You may not delete any existing code.
#2: You can add script triggers, like OnWaypointReached
#3: No using SetObjectIndestructible, SetObjectHits, SetObjectHidden (at least not on the Tech Bloke) or AddExplosion.
#4: You are allowed to add things to the map, but don't delete or move anything that's already there.
#5: You can add as much new stuff to the script as you like, but try to keep it reasonable.

Other than that, anything goes! When you download the map, post in this thread to let us know, so we don't have more than one person working on it at a time. When you've finished saving/eliminating the Tech Bloke, post the new script file up here so the next person can try to reverse his fortunes. The winner is the last one to post a new script file before no one can think of a way to reverse it, or before we all get bored of it, or before the script gets so complicated the map takes 10 minutes to load on an average computer.

Edited: 25 August 2008 18:06

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

Canuck

25 August 2008 04:55 (UK time)

I wrote:

I've gotten it started by adding a Standard Pistol Trooper just below the Tech Bloke.

...so try to keep it relatively small for the beginning--don't go adding a pair of Doom Tanks to crush my one soldier with a pistol. No overkill for now, or this won't last very long.

Edited: 25 August 2008 04:57

40oz
 Official Sponsor

25 August 2008 17:05 (UK time)

Are we allowed to edit the map?

I would like the map to be a little more intricate, like having a lake so I can just throw the Object in there and drown him B-) As well as other sectors that we can turn into lava or acid. Maybe some other objects littered about that we can make a use of, such as TNT and stuff.

2 lines of code is a little short, at least for doing something real interesting. We'll have to have more scripting battle maps in the future.

EDIT: Im trying to rescue the tech bloke without breaking the rules and/or placing some mega huge thing to protect him with. This is pretty hard, I think we need something a little easier. With more possibilities.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 25 August 2008 17:05

Canuck

25 August 2008 18:07 (UK time)

Fair point. I've edited the rules to give people a bit more scope to do stuff, and added some random stuff to the map (a lake, crates, a fire engine....).

Canuck

25 August 2008 18:11 (UK time)

Oh, one more rule. None of this.....

Mrazerty (in the 'T3H SCR1PT1NG B4TTL3 =3' thread) wrote:

StaticFlags[100] = "OWNED";
TimeLimit = -2;
GameType = "GT_NONE";
Mapwidth = -1;
MapHeight = -1;

ParaSait

25 August 2008 20:30 (UK time)

Actually, I don't get it o_Ô

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Canuck

26 August 2008 03:29 (UK time)

Well, someone downloads the map and adds something to it and/or the script to save the Tech Bloke from my Standard Pistol Trooper, then uploads the new version. Then someone else downloads it and edits the map and/or script so that the Tech Bloke dies. Then someone else downloads that map and saves him...and so on, and so on, until we all get bored of it.

Dthdealer

26 August 2008 11:22 (UK time)

Attached is my twisted.... bad news
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Count your fingers. Keep trying. Make sure there's ten.

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Some day the javascript will sleep too.

Canuck

26 August 2008 15:14 (UK time)

Sorry, he escaped this time....

ParaSait

26 August 2008 15:45 (UK time)

Ahh now I get it. OK, it's my turn... Let's see...

EDIT: Are we allowed to edit the map (Like adding waypoints)? Or only the script?

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

Edited: 26 August 2008 15:48

DarkRain

26 August 2008 15:48 (UK time)

That seems funny :choc
The Dark Age is upon us! Quake 2 mapmaker.

ParaSait

26 August 2008 15:59 (UK time)

I can imagine how it will end... the whole map will be destroyed and crawling with doom tanks which are all needed to assasinate... a tech bloke. XP

Heh actually it's sorta like chess, and the tech bloke is the king =D

EDIT: Wow, there is a very short time though. Can't we define which waypoint it should reach ourselves? Then we could make a much longer time.

Edited: 26 August 2008 16:29

Canuck

26 August 2008 16:28 (UK time)

@Mrazerty (Are we allowed to edit the map?)

Yes, you can add things to it, but can't remove anything that's already there unless you script it. Actually, unless you make them indestructible, any objects you add will be destroyed by Dthdealer's massive explosion...

EDIT: I've changed it so that there is a sheep bound to a waypoint at the bottom of the map. When it reaches that waypoint (#11) the game is over. You can move the waypoint if you need more time. Also, if you're going to use waypoints to run functions, add an indestructible object with waypoints to do it (like another sheep) instead of using the player's waypoints. Otherwise the function will run again....and again....and again....

Edited: 26 August 2008 17:14

ParaSait

26 August 2008 20:49 (UK time)

OK, here is my part! It's based on the newest "sheep" version of the map.

Edited: 26 August 2008 20:51

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use