You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  General  \  Mapping/Scripting windows layout

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Mapping/Scripting windows layout

Dthdealer

29 June 2008 04:50 (UK time)

What programs do all the uber-mappers for M2 run for mapping and scripting with it and how do you arrange the windows? I'm curious as I've always though mine un-productive and difficult to use.
JB's desktop will probably be a few feet wide :)

Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Count your fingers. Keep trying. Make sure there's ten.

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Some day the javascript will sleep too.

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

James Bunting
30 June 2008 20:35 (UK time)

I have 2 screens although I run M2 fullscreen (not in a window)and mode switch back to Windows. However I can see the script file when playing on the other monitor.

To remember IDs I use a pen and paper or my own memory.

And I don't comment my code as well as you do.

arezey

01 July 2008 20:59 (UK time)

I tend to do a similar thing Dthdealer does; though I use Kate from KDE4 instead of Notepad++.

For remembering waypoint/sector/object IDs I tend to use my own memory or #define ID_SOMETHING somenumber. Though I use the first one more often (I really should start using #define a bit more) and that results me in checking the IDs a tonload of times.

I do have two video cards, but not two monitors. Also, the other is an ATI and the other is an nVIDIA so I don't know would a two-screen layout work.

Dthdealer

02 July 2008 10:48 (UK time)

You would either have to have the two cards installed at once or use a card with two RGB outlets for dual-screen.

Lucky James! The ability to edit his script on another screen!
Makes me wonder if I should have grabbed that 17'' flat-screen CRT for $50.

How do you define the object IDs and how do you then use them in your script? It would make it a lot easier rather than having to make a reference at the beginning of each script (or on pen and paper).
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Edited: 02 July 2008 10:48

arezey

03 July 2008 22:32 (UK time)

Well if you mean the #define thing, I can give you an example...

#define ID_FOOBAR 63
#include meteor2

export HideFoobar;

void HideFoobar() {
SC_SetObjectHidden(ID_FOOBAR, 1);
}

---------
So basically you can define your own constants.

Dthdealer

04 July 2008 10:17 (UK time)

Awesome! Thanks
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

me_mantis

06 July 2008 05:29 (UK time)

I have the best map scripting setup. It's also more complicated, but it's the way it's (nVidia) meant to be played.

#1. Make your meteor maps script folder a network share
#2. Add another computer/kbd/mouse to your workspace. If they are right next to eachother, that's good... Mine are.
#3. Run Meteor 2 fullscreen on your fast PC
#4. Edit your script on your laptop/other PC
#5. Congradulate yourself on being über like me!

Dthdealer

06 July 2008 05:42 (UK time)

Would a Toshiba T1200 1987 DOS 3.2 laptop do?
Probably if it supports modern sharing protocols.
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

Edited: 06 July 2008 05:42

ParaSait

06 July 2008 09:36 (UK time)

Smart idea, Mantis! I've got exactly everything I need: my new laptop and my good ol' slow computer =)

So maybe I should try it too, that would make things a lot easier.

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

me_mantis

07 July 2008 04:13 (UK time)

don't forget step 5, and fyi: radioshack sells null modems.

I'll be in florida, so I'll maybe do some scripting after that (and mm uploading)

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use