You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  General  \  HTML in the forums...

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: HTML in the forums...

ParaSait

05 December 2007 19:01 (UK time)

It doesn't work! I tried viewing the site with both Firefox and IE and both always show the HTML code of, for example, a link instead of the link itself. Halp?

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

05 December 2007 21:53 (UK time)

html is disabled in the forums since the last hack..
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

ParaSait

05 December 2007 22:04 (UK time)

Hack? I don't know about any hack. Can't it be repaired or so...?

This link is dead. It's only still here because, err... yknow, it's some sort of... memorial.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

05 December 2007 22:23 (UK time)

its disabled by James..( i think )

Edited: 05 December 2007 22:24

Spy

06 December 2007 09:40 (UK time)

Oh My God! What About If Som1 Hacks My Or Sombodys Account?!
I was known as Naval War before.
I love and mod Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
Also an active osu! player: https://osu.ppy.sh/u/3971179

DarkRain

06 December 2007 13:04 (UK time)

I don't think someone will try to hack our accounts.
The Dark Age is upon us! Quake 2 mapmaker.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

06 December 2007 18:02 (UK time)

unfortunately someone hacked FBI's account..

DarkRain

06 December 2007 18:42 (UK time)

Well, that's really bad. But who did it and why?

Spy

07 December 2007 15:30 (UK time)

Poor FBI, I Think That All Guys Who Have The Title: "No Longer An Active Member" Have Been Hacked!

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

07 December 2007 18:28 (UK time)

except Erlend..

DarkRain

07 December 2007 18:31 (UK time)

What happened to Erlend ?

Dthdealer

07 December 2007 21:47 (UK time)

Yeah, JB disabled it. Someone changed the banners or something.
Limited XHTML commands is what this forum needs.
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Count your fingers. Keep trying. Make sure there's ten.

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Some day the javascript will sleep too.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

08 December 2007 05:33 (UK time)

Erlend was banned by James..
Search the forum with his name. you will be amazed how idiot he was

DarkRain

08 December 2007 07:43 (UK time)

I found forums in which he had written. And you are right, PetiX- I am amazed!

Edited: 08 December 2007 07:44

ParaSait

09 December 2007 09:49 (UK time)

But if HTML is disabled, then why do the people still use it?? I'm pretty confused...

ParaSait

09 December 2007 09:53 (UK time)

Oh and BTW, I searched the forums too and I found that Erlend really was an annoying user. How come that he has two profile pics (A red cross and beans)...?

DarkRain

09 December 2007 10:01 (UK time)

Yes, I noticed that too. Erlend has two profile pictures. Is it a bug?

Edited: 09 December 2007 10:02

ParaSait

09 December 2007 18:16 (UK time)

... or the hacker, maybe???

Spy

09 December 2007 18:28 (UK time)

So, Is Erlend The Hacker?

ParaSait

14 December 2007 13:37 (UK time)

Nah, I don't think so. That was meant as a joke... I hope ;)

Edited: 14 December 2007 13:38

DarkRain

14 December 2007 15:12 (UK time)

I don't think that Erlend is the hacker too. He just tried to be annoying.

Spy

16 December 2007 20:34 (UK time)

are there any other ones that could possibly hacked other accounts?

40oz
 Official Sponsor

17 December 2007 17:38 (UK time)

To clear things up, Erlend was simply a spam poster, by that I mean he rarely made any posts that were of any relevance to the topic, or were easily readable. On top of that, he also made a post that belittled someone's mod in progress (I forget which one it was, I think it might have been Dave Man's, but I could be wrong.)

Normally criticism would be handled pretty well in a community of modders, but Meteor was a growing community, with a pretty broad collection of younger players, and thus criticism could easily lead to an argument, which could deter people from continuing to make mods. He's probably not used to being a part of a growing community, so his stay here was not very long.

The hacker, who's identity was never uncovered, didn't particularly do a whole lot of damage. (At least to the forum as far as I know) He simply made a lot of spam posts and and took control over the account of a forum member who hadn't showed up much lately, but he was too courteous to be believable as the hacker. But to avoid any further incidents, HTML codes had to be removed. (Especially since their abilities had been exploited, such as colored, flashing, scrolling text, changing the font, changing background colors of the forum, and probably more)

James coded this forum from scratch, so it was probably easy for hackers to override the code, unlike public forums that are specially designed to avoid being ruined by hackers.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Dthdealer

04 January 2008 08:32 (UK time)

Just a html test. Would be hilarious If this works

<image src="http://www.renhelp.net/uploaded/user/dthdealer/DTHsig.gif">
EDIT: Darn, Doesn't work
Also known as Veyrdite
My website: http://halestrom.net/darksleep@Occasionally you may meet me when you sleep. In the darkest corners of your dreams, where your phone stops working and you don't know what to do. I'll be there; telling you that I don't support your device.

"Can't you just fix-"
NO! I told you when you bought this, when it goes wrong I can't fix it. It's filled with glue. The Greek goddess of glue Araldities herself would be impressed with this.

Please stop asking me for technical support during your dreams. Can't we just tour some surreal landscapes instead?

"How do I do that?"

Then summon me. I am large and covered in wires. Clouds of baking soda pour into your world and a slightly weak yellowy glow appears from the LED strips behind me.

If you can see this message then you're already part of the way there. Keep all your styles disabled and you might see the dream within.

"But there's so much javascript everywhere! I can't see you. Help! I've forgotten to count my fingers! Where do I find them?"

The LED strip behind me pops and goes out. Dark spots appear in the centre of each light. I lift my finger to my lips. The smell of tantalum capacitors fills the air.

Ssh. Don't worry about that. Behind those frameworks there's another person sleeping.

Edited: 04 January 2008 08:47

Dthdealer

04 January 2008 08:52 (UK time)

"The System

You will not attempt to hack into or manipulate the system. This includes attempting to enter invalid information in your profile or adding script tags (which are automatically removed anyway) into your posts."

Oh crud
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

Edited: 04 January 2008 08:52

ParaSait

04 January 2008 12:50 (UK time)

But why are there people that still use HTML, even though it doesn't work?

DarkRain

04 January 2008 18:06 (UK time)

Maybe because they don't know that it doesn't work.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

05 January 2008 03:03 (UK time)

They are most likely posts from before the hacker arrived. They used to work.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

1up

07 January 2008 07:21 (UK time)

hmmm...did James implement an IP tracker? Its also useful to have the IP tracker link actions taken by that person, even by admins. It helped my friend prevent his server from being torn to bits :p
might wanna try it.
alrite, back to the hacking...i doubt that the hacker was skilled enough to be able to break into ppls comps...if the hacker did not do a whole lot of damage, then they suck, or maybe its just James' dumb luck :p
either way, this forum is still here, and i do not hear James complaining bout a hacker stealing money from his accounts...
"...And with his fight money, he bought two of each animal on earth, then he herded them onto a boat, where he beat the crap out of every single one!*bangs grenades together*" -Team Fortress 2 Soldier
Headshot! Double Kill! Triple Kill! Overkill! killtacular! Killtastrophe! Killimanjaro! Killprocalypse!... Kil-Killionaire?! What happened to kill#9?!
"Oh shit, hes got THE HALO 1 PISTOL! RUUUUUUN!"
"Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet." -Red Sniper

Edited: 07 January 2008 07:25

ParaSait

07 January 2008 20:25 (UK time)

I think it wasn't really a hacker, more of a hacking spammer. These people usually don't do very much damage, but they can be extremely annoying. And that's why James turned off the HTML, because else he would be able to constantly post screamer faces in the forums. Am I right? ^_^

Edited: 07 January 2008 20:27

Dthdealer

11 January 2008 04:04 (UK time)

IP tracking is near-useless if the person has any brains. T.O.R. will get them past it.
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

DarkRain

11 January 2008 12:06 (UK time)

What is T.O.R.?

Dthdealer

19 January 2008 02:45 (UK time)

Google it
Also known as Veyrdite

"Can't you just fix-"

"How do I do that?"

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use