You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  General  \  M2 makes me mad

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: M2 makes me mad

40oz
 Official Sponsor

20 March 2007 00:24 (UK time)

I just wanted to say, (as I had said before) that the style of how M2 is played pisses me off. I am currently playing through the game, and I think I am about halfway through it, about at the weapons testing facility, and I have to say, if I hadn't played Meteor 1 and knew of it's very versatile editing possibilities, and weren't expecting a whole new change that M2 offers, I never would have enjoyed Meteor 2.

I think I may make a mod fo M2 that pretty much recreates all the objects, weapons, projectiles, and other miscellaneous stuff that drives me crazy when I am playing Meteor 2. I pray that my mod may play arole in the final release in Meteor 2 to make it a little more fun to play.

These are some specific qualities that piss me off in M2:

1.) Let us start off with the first combat mission, Beach Head. If I didnt have that black ops trooper, rocket launncher guy, and medic, I would have been in trouble. I probably would have finished the map with maybe 10% health after 3 or 4 tries. There were even health kits piled in almost every room. To top it off, there were only about 20-25 troopers in there that I actually had to fight. Think that is saying something?

2.) The AI pisses me off. I understand that waypoints are supposed to take the role of this, but what I mean by AI, is when people are in direct combat. Soldiers run up at full speed, and when they see you they make perfect 100% accurate aim on you. You can see this from enemies with laser pointers. You cant actually escape them without hiding behind a wall. Once they come within a reasonable distance, which in a 640x480 resolution, is literally outside the monitor. Once an enemy is woken up you are immediately being pummeled nonstop with XM8 bullets. Forcing the player to lose 16-20 health on every enemy reached.

3.) Weapons are super fast and super accurate. Sensibly, this is okay for the player, being that I have to kill A LOT of enemies. But if the enemies can lock on with perfect aim, perfect reaction time, and full speed attacks, their only flaws is that they have a fraction of the same health as you, and they move only slightly slower. Not enough for how much I have to kill.

The game just frustrates me the entire time I'm playing it. I cant get relaxed and have a good time. I'm constantly like in a rage for all most every enemy i fight.

I seriously doubt that I am the only one who sees this. I was esecially enraged in the Weapons testing lab, where I was expected to kill a room about 5 mechs in it (not too bad) and two black ops troopers with snipers. (really bad). Once I poked out the corner, I was immediately being picked off by snipers off the screen. Black ops troopers have near 200 health, perfect aim and reaction time, and snipers do about 40 damage per shot. I evantually managed to kill them after about 50 attempts, I had to let them shoot me a few times, and then hit them both with rockets while they were reloading. It was one of the most frustrating battles I had ever fought. Does anyone else agree with me that the scale of enemies to player is pretty tipped to one side?
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

20 March 2007 02:53 (UK time)

The first time i played M2 i played on normal skill because i thought that normal would be 'normal' if you know what i mean. (then think of really hard =/ )
i hardly get a chance to complete some of the first maps, i had to use some cheat codes, and yes, that was quite frustrating that im such a loooser (after M1 which is a great fun)

But after i played on really easy skill most of this problems were solved. I beat he whole campaign in this skill a few times, but it was hard to finish on easy. so, after then i always played on really easy but sometimes that gives me the feeling thaat im such a loooser after all.

So, M2 is still a great game but need some balances.
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

Edited: 20 March 2007 02:58

Knasp

20 March 2007 18:54 (UK time)

1. I must agree on this, beach head is a real pain on higher difficulties.
2. I kinda agree on this, It's frustrating to have to strafe-shoot around corners to survive. Not until you actually get powerful weapons can you launch off a projectile without getting hurt.
Perhaps this could be solved by adding an "aim attribute" for every object? Or perhaps some kind of line-of-sight vision like fuzinavl once made, at least for the A.I. so you can sneak up on them!
3. Well, Meteor 2 sure is a challenge, about the scales they are to the enemies favor but it wouldn't be fun if Ash could easily kick all their asses, right?

Edited: 20 March 2007 18:55

mike323
21 March 2007 00:09 (UK time)

I say make enemies vary their speed, have reaction time, fire in bursts, and move around while firing.

This would add one he ll of a lot of life to them.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

21 March 2007 01:05 (UK time)

Oh yeah, I did forget to mention that I am playing on Normal. but If I played any harder skills I'd throw my computer out the window.

I think the most frustrating thing that I am facing is that the weakest and most common enemies in the game, generic pistol troopers, and machinegun troopers are actually 'hard' to fight. I think those are the guys that pose the most annoyance. Every game should have those hordes of generally easy enemies to fight. Halo has it's grunts. Doom has it's zombies. Wolfenstein 3d has the attack dogs. Starcraft has zerglings and marines. Everygame should have it's easy enemies that grow in population as the game moves on. M2 currently does not have this, as the weakest enemies can always be devastating. Basically, the current fights with troopers, are if you have a faster-than-normal reaction time, then you can kill him without taking way too much damage. I think the only enemies that are really fun to fight were the ROD blobs and Giant worms. They had low health, short fighting range, and shot dodgable projectiles. To top it off, there were loads of them. They were pretty fun. But within that I had to fight armor plated minigun turrets that I had to use pulse cannon or rockets on.

M1 was loads of fun, because there were so many weak enemies (if not too weak). You normally had to plow through giant armies of troops and platoons of tanks, but they were not tooo hard to defeat. I enjoyed that much. I think M2 should have some weaker enemies in it to make it a little more balanced.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 21 March 2007 01:10

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use