You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  General  \  Mod ideas

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Mod ideas

40oz
 Official Sponsor

08 February 2007 02:11 (UK time)

We gotta roll out some more Meteor 1 and Meteor 2 mods. (Personally I hope for more M1 mods)

Our selections are very limited, and I literally played every single mod out there. I say we whip up some more.

How about a team project? We organize up whats left of the forums users and we all help each other out in releasing either some very little, or ground breaking mods? (M2 chat would come in handy for this)

I also want modders to keep their entusiasm for their mods and keep working on them. I'm proud of mike for finally releasing Gunmetal, which looked like another project that was too big to complete. You guys should look at him for inspiration.

Do you guys have any favorite games or styles for mods?

Some of my favorites are Doom (obviously), Killzone, and Contra/Gryzor.

I remember a looong time ago where me and aleksanteri talked about maybe working together to complete a horror mod. Like a serious horror mod, having really dark graphics, spooky, and intensely frightening soundfx, and a lot of suspense to freak out the player. Maybe we could bring that back up.

I also was working on a Counterstrike mod a long time ago, but I am currently not up for the scripting job, and mapmaking. I did all the graphics, sprites, weapons, soundfx, and objects though. Maybe someone would like to pitch in on that.

The fact of the matter, is that Meteor is not as big as it should be. There are so many other games that get so much attention, and the modmakers are always motivated to keep going. Currently Meteor is pretty much at the peak of what to expect. It's time for change, let's release more mods!
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

Erik

08 February 2007 13:40 (UK time)

My musketeers 2 mod is now finnished, but i need to do some corrections. after that im planning another map/mod, i said this just so that all know (now).

Yeah i like the idea with an organized mod with everyone left here working with the mod. We can make an HUGE mod.

And dont forget my mini-mod i made for some days ago, Paintball.

Edited: 08 February 2007 13:43

40oz
 Official Sponsor

09 February 2007 22:40 (UK time)

Oh yeah, I still gotta try that paintball mod out. Are there any single player maps? Or is it solely multiplayer?

Anyone up for helping me make a "Horror mod"? The idea has me shivering, and would be an amazing theme for a mod, let alone it would be a fantastic feat in M2 modding.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Erik

10 February 2007 14:00 (UK time)

Just 1 singleplayer map and 2-3 multiplayer maps, more will come with extensions and upgrades. ( the singleplayer map is for training up tha skills)

1up

11 February 2007 04:39 (UK time)

Lmao. You guys need some crazy-@$$ weapons?! I GOT THEM! i also did the Barrate 82A1 lol. problem is you gonna have to do your own HUD spoites cuz mine are crappy.
"...And with his fight money, he bought two of each animal on earth, then he herded them onto a boat, where he beat the crap out of every single one!*bangs grenades together*" -Team Fortress 2 Soldier
Headshot! Double Kill! Triple Kill! Overkill! killtacular! Killtastrophe! Killimanjaro! Killprocalypse!... Kil-Killionaire?! What happened to kill#9?!
"Oh shit, hes got THE HALO 1 PISTOL! RUUUUUUN!"
"Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet." -Red Sniper

mike323
11 February 2007 05:54 (UK time)

Ugh, just have to get my lazy ass working on one :)

40oz
 Official Sponsor

12 February 2007 23:54 (UK time)

You dont have to work on it alone, i mean we all brainstorm some mods we would like to see in the future, and then give everyone a set of categories to work on:

-Genre/Storyline (This would be all of us, but one would be the ''director'' type person)
-Textures and miscellaneous (background, intro, ending)
-Sprites/Graphics
-Weapons/projectiles
-Powerups
-Objects
-Maps/Maplists
-Soundfx/Music (They'd have to be high quality, and chosen/crafted really carefully.)
-Someone to clear everything up, fix bugs, tweak things.

From what I've seen, I think fuzinavl would be good for making tweaks on the finished piece, reccomendations, and other fixes. I'd like to be in this field as well.

Me_mantis would be perfect for maps, scripts, textures, and intro animations.

Aleksanteri nails down maps, textures and scripting as well.

VR_Rat has made some pretty fancy sprite work. Especially in weapon graphics.

Mike + Weapons/projectiles = :D

Erik's work is pretty decent in almost anything, I think his enthusiasm to keep working on his mods is what is required from him the most.

I don't want to boast, but I think I'd be best for keeping the genre tied in and whatever storyline making sense throughout the mod. CRATER's really in depth storyline and mood that stayed true for the whole mod should prove so.

Again, these are only recomendations. If anyone would prefer a different field, I am open to requests.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Erik

13 February 2007 10:23 (UK time)

I dont want to sound stupid... but do we have a mod-subject area yet? My work depend on what kind of mod we are doing, if its a future mod i do huds and mayby objects better than maps (for example). While making a relalistic mod i mayby make better maps than huds, objects etc (for example).

To make the question consice: Which kind of mod? :p

40oz
 Official Sponsor

13 February 2007 20:36 (UK time)

Well a while back Aleksanteri and I had discussed working on "Horror Mod" (working title), which would be a mod inspired by scary games. Such as Resident Evil, Doom 3, The Clocktower, Silent Hill, and any other horror game.

The mod would have to keep the player confused (not like ''wtf kinda map is this, these sprites look like pants'' confused) Confused as in the environment kinda attracts the player to se whats inside and what's gonna happen next.

To reproduce this, we can start the mod off as if the character were waking up from a coma. The character would be kinda weak or vulnerable, (maybe from prior beating) He'd be in a dark alleyway or a ditch or something, and maybe a small splash of blood near him to generate the ''unsafe'' feeling. The character should have amnesia or something, so that he is in a place he does not even recognise, nor does he have any recollection of what happened before he got there. The player would be forced to explore this new area, and it could possibly lead to something really bad.

Quite a breakthrough in modding, though it would be a really long and frustrating mod idea, as I don't really have the idea completely clear in my head to the story, or what it's going to look like (other then the dark, dusty, foggy, gloomy atmosphere) in the finished mod. It's gonna be hard to perfect. We should probably work on something a little easier.

So basically, all I wanna know is what kinda mod ideas would you prefer to make a mod out of that we can all agree on? We can rule out genres we hate, work on a genre we all like, base the mod on something we'd all like to contribute on, and we'd be a happy modding team.

Maybe we should just do an unnoficial sequel to meteor 2?
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

mike323
14 February 2007 01:52 (UK time)

Haha, good idea. You have any and all gunmetal weapons you need, and tell me if you want something else. I admit I'm not be best at maps :)

Erik

14 February 2007 08:39 (UK time)

Nah, im neither good at maps (althrough i was pretty happy with one of my musketeers 2 maps :p )or objects. But i love makeing my own huds i have more hud than weaps :D.

Ahh.. Back to subject.. My suggestions for subject-area:

1: Future mod, more lasers and robots.

2: Stoneage mod, much arrows, spears and clubs.

3: WWII mod with mp40's and such weapons, like Call of Duty.

4: And a more childish mod: Lego. Much lasers, sword and rifles. A variety of guns.

Erik

Edited: 14 February 2007 08:40

arezey

15 February 2007 14:23 (UK time)

I'd say a 24-like mod, where terrorists are attacking with a plan... was my idea for MSA anyway lol

But as long as my Windows is locked, all I can do is scripting... though I'm trying to get it back as soon as I can. Though my HDD got screwed up :'(

And oh yeah, i have the newnet irc channel (irc.newnet.net:6667 -> #meteor2) ;)

Edited: 15 February 2007 14:27

40oz
 Official Sponsor

15 February 2007 20:51 (UK time)

24? like the television show?

I've heard a lot about making a WW2 mod in the past. I'm particularly not interested in WW2 games because they lack a lot of creativity. WW2 already happened, so all the info needed to make a WW2 game is already layed out. The lack of creativity needed to make a WW2 game is why there are like a thousand of them out there. It's kinda like playing revamped versions of the same game over and over. I begin to care less and less.

WW2 mod would be an easy thing to accomplish, but I wouldn't feel really satisfied with the result. It doesn't require a lot of 'thinking' if you know what I mean.

I like future mods/games better, because no one knows whats happening in the future, it's all up to our imaginations.

Bully Meteor comes to mind when I think of a childish mod ;)

And I've never actually used IRC before. Isn't it just like any instant messenger in a chatroom? I've never used it and ever since I've tried any of your links, I've not gotten any response. Do i need some kind of a program to run it?

*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 15 February 2007 21:02

1up

15 February 2007 22:08 (UK time)

Why not add a boss level? I made Base Alpha a boss map, where you have to fight a Big Mech Ultima Prototype and its easy to die in like 3 seconds if the grenades or the FFAR rockets hit you ^_^

Try makin a forcefield close shut behind the player and they will say stuff like oh @#%$! so its perfect for your confusion/surprise thing.

Oh and no 8evil robots of the future with circular saws8 ive seen enough of that BS and its annoyin. make it kinda like Meteor-Age (lol Meteor-age) kinda thing (if you catch my drift)
"...And with his fight money, he bought two of each animal on earth, then he herded them onto a boat, where he beat the crap out of every single one!*bangs grenades together*" -Team Fortress 2 Soldier
Headshot! Double Kill! Triple Kill! Overkill! killtacular! Killtastrophe! Killimanjaro! Killprocalypse!... Kil-Killionaire?! What happened to kill#9?!
"Oh shit, hes got THE HALO 1 PISTOL! RUUUUUUN!"
"Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet." -Red Sniper

Edited: 15 February 2007 22:11

40oz
 Official Sponsor

16 February 2007 02:44 (UK time)

Well the horror mod would be kinda set up differently than meteor itself. What I mean by that, Is that there wont be any fusion cannons or miniguns. You'll start with no weapons. You'll probably be a civilian object at first. Maybe later you'll find a knife or a pistol or something. The enemies you may have to fight will be fast and hard to kill, and incredibly dangerous. However, you will only fight one at a time, with long gaps of searching in between. (to be a little more surprising.)
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

nyasudah
 Official Sponsor

16 February 2007 09:10 (UK time)

bully meteor is a cool mod it only needs a good extension with some doggy story =)

for example after reuniting with his friends they will hang on the streets and chase cars and postmans lol

or he have to free his friends because they get into trouble

there are lot of ways to continue that story
nyasudah / masuda / mp / PetiX / PtX

Edited: 16 February 2007 11:10

40oz
 Official Sponsor

16 February 2007 16:43 (UK time)

How about a Cinema mod? Like we make a movie using script triggers? There could be aguy on waypoints all the way at the other side of the map using the SC_OnWaypointReached command the whole time, and we could make a full length meteor movie. Dunno what it would be about, but it would be fun to watch =)
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

VR_Rat

16 February 2007 21:01 (UK time)

I was thinking about that at one point. IF you use that and make another object for the player to become temporary you could make some really good cut sences. Hint hint...

arezey

17 February 2007 15:39 (UK time)

40ozCasualtie: You need an irc client... mIRC, XChat are very popular, google for them (I use KVIrc tho =P )

BTW I got my new HDD installed, sadly I lost all mod data so I guess I'll skip MSA and continue to FTPO =)

EDIT: the chan has redirected (again) into irc://irc.cyberchat.org and channel #Meteor2 (irc://irc.cyberchat.org/meteor2). I guess I'll stop searching for server into this ;)

Edited: 17 February 2007 21:40

40oz
 Official Sponsor

19 February 2007 18:43 (UK time)

Nice, I got it working, and this is really nice.

So, anyone up for working on a mod together, say Aye!
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

VR_Rat

19 February 2007 20:24 (UK time)

B

yeah

Erik

20 February 2007 14:43 (UK time)

Mayby that :D i want to make HUDs or something :p

arezey

21 February 2007 20:28 (UK time)

Aye!

I got my Windows back stable, and all Meteor data got saved!!!! =D

So I'm in ;)

40oz
 Official Sponsor

21 February 2007 22:00 (UK time)

High fives all around!

Do we have ideas though?

I considered making a contra mod.

Contra has got super crazy weapons that shoot really fast. The player only has 1hp. (must die upon every shot) There are tons of enemies, all are pretty easy. there's a boss battle at the end of every level, which takes a lot of damage and fires in predictable patterns.

Needs some good heavy metal music tracks.
Sprite guys to draw robots, tanks, helicopters, mounted guns, etc.
lots and lots and lots of explosion sounds. (The game doesn't use much other soundfx)
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Erik

22 February 2007 13:38 (UK time)

I want to make mounted guns, just tell me if im allowed to do that, :D

40oz
 Official Sponsor

25 February 2007 16:23 (UK time)

Maybe we could do a remake of the M2 campaign except instead of playing Ash working for the allies, you could play a soldier from the terrorist force?
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Erik

25 February 2007 18:14 (UK time)

Yeah, an inverted-m2-campaign!... But that would be extremly easy to make, just change the players side and name. Maps, objects and such does already exist. But a solution is a new campaign, with the bad guys, against the allied forces, with new maps, object and such.

For example, in the story, it is written something like this: 'they took over the ion-cannon', so why not make a campaign for the bad guys where they take over the ion-cannon, and the different bases etc?

40oz
 Official Sponsor

26 February 2007 02:26 (UK time)

Exactly. Taking over the Ion cannon would make an awesome starting map. Maybe some of the last levels should need you to protect your buddies from Colonel Ash too haha. Ash would be rendered invincible though, as he is never supposed to actually ''die''

This campaign could also fill in a lot of holes in the actual story. Like we could learn more about the terrorist's secrets and plans. We can learn where all the enemies are coming from. And we can also learn how some of characters came to power.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 26 February 2007 02:28

arezey

26 February 2007 05:20 (UK time)

No. We won't learn them. We will decide them ;)

But that's an awesome idea =D

Erik

26 February 2007 13:51 (UK time)

just the problem with sprites objects then, they already exist, so the only thing to do is put down more work and enhance the obj.sprites and so on. The huds and map dont need to be the same...

Janne

26 February 2007 17:10 (UK time)

How about City mod? All happening in city and there are thiefs and drug sellers. And Ash is police or something like that??? Or is it bad idea.

Edited: 26 February 2007 17:12

Erik

26 February 2007 18:59 (UK time)

I dont know :) I have an idea like an city mod... GTA san andreas mod. It includes one huge really big map that is the whole map on GTA sa. It will include thugs civs and harder thugs like: drugdealers. It will have many vehicle and obbjects...

40oz
 Official Sponsor

26 February 2007 21:05 (UK time)

Well not having to recreate anything is fine, A mod doesnt have to consist of EVERYTHING being new. You could still have a mod if all you did was replace all the wasted sprites in meteor to be animated sprites. No new story, no sounds, no new objects, just modified sprites. Still a mod.

However, I understand you would prefer to have a higher achievement, but lets not overshoot our boundaries.

GTA mod sounds cool, it would be a bazillion script triggers though. It would kinda be a rip off of the original style that Ravagers of time did. (A thousand missions on one map). Still, I'm not complaining, it's still a good idea.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Erik

27 February 2007 14:48 (UK time)

Yeah your right :s anyways, lets test the way of organizing a large work. Like u said, we dont need to do a TC. Before we even could look at an large organized work we probably need to test our capabilities :)

EDIT: BIG PROBLEM AHEAD:

When we now make this mod with almost no changes (just maps and some sprites), there wont be much people working, only 2 or mayby three, the unemployment problem most be solved! It would be better with a much more different and modded mod if everyone should have at least one thing to do!!

So we need to find exactly everything that should be modded in this pre-m2-badguys-mod. I just think of the unemployed peoples here that (if they) want to help out. :)

Edited: 27 February 2007 17:42

40oz
 Official Sponsor

27 February 2007 20:11 (UK time)

Well this kinda stuff can be discussed at IRC, or at M2 chat, whichever is preferred. I wouldn't think that people would be left out, we can have more than one person fill in different positions. Them thing I am worried about, is that are you guys up for making a mod? I certainly am. Though I don't see a lot of motivation about it.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Erik

28 February 2007 13:05 (UK time)

Im up for an multi-person-mod :p

40oz
 Official Sponsor

12 March 2007 03:24 (UK time)

I actually came up with an idea for a mod while I was at work (business was slow and I had a load of free time to just think about stuff)

The mod was going to be a fantasy quest type thing. I haven't really cooked up a story, but there would be a goal that was trying to be acheived through the whole thing. Basically, You are the land's hero, and there are 19 (that was the random number that came to mind) Different Heretics that are scattered all across the land. The quest would be to defeat all the Heretics. All the Heretics would be various mythical creatures that were spawned from an unholy force. Each Heretic varies in size, attacks, and AI strategies. For example, one Heretic could resemble a really big taurus, that's strong and fast and dangerous, but really dumb. And another Heretic could be some kind of a Sorcerer, that would be slow, weak, and easy to kill, but he'd spawn little minions to distract you. Basically the whole game would be a series of giant boss battles. 19 to be exact. Cool idea? no?
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Knasp

12 March 2007 12:13 (UK time)

Hi everyone!
I'm back after a long time of inactivity. Though I have been playing and modding Meteor 2 from time to time. I thought I should check out these forums again :)
I think I'll post some pics of my work later since I'm not on my home computer right now.

Anyways to stay on topic I would like to participate in a modding project.
I can do pretty much anything except I'm no expert at scripting. But I could probably work something out. As for mod interests, I would like to work on a Total Conversion mod.
Futuristic is fine as long as it isn't just pew-pew lasers. If you want pew-pew lasers then i suggest we make a Star Wars mod :p

WE could combine mod ideas. Such as Futuristic WW2 --> NAZI created Zombies etc. You know Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
We should get on IRC and discuss it at some announced time.

/Knasp

Edited: 12 March 2007 12:14

Erik

12 March 2007 16:23 (UK time)

Sounds fine too me, and btw, takin' about TC my Musketeers 2 is almost done read more at my homepage...

40oz
 Official Sponsor

13 March 2007 17:07 (UK time)

Ehh, I'm not up for any WW2 stuff. I am so sick of thompsons, m1 garands, and mp40's.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Knasp

13 March 2007 17:41 (UK time)

I wouldn't mind making a WW2 mod but I'd gladly work on any other mod idea. We could make it in the future or in an alternate history setting. I'm in for almost everything.

Edited: 13 March 2007 17:41

Erik

13 March 2007 18:46 (UK time)

mee 2, although i maybe happy with any TC over an simple mod ...

JohnnyRancid

14 March 2007 02:35 (UK time)

I could tag in. I like mapping

Erik

14 March 2007 08:17 (UK time)

I like makin' HUD's here look at one example! :D

JohnnyRancid

16 March 2007 18:43 (UK time)

That gun looks kinda weird and cool at the same time. I dont think it fits in with the others though. Is a SLAG a real gun?

I think we should do Jan64s idea about the city with criminals and stuff.

Erik

19 March 2007 15:18 (UK time)

Yeah thanks man thats cool :) SLAG isn't a real gun, It stands for ScopedLightAutomaticGun or something i made it a while back ago...

Erik

20 March 2007 20:25 (UK time)

Just wanted to ad this: I got the GTA san andreas soundtrack so we can make an city mod...

40oz
 Official Sponsor

21 March 2007 01:12 (UK time)

Oh I have the GTA2 radio stations. San Andreas is a little innapropriate though, as their language is really strong, even on their radio stations.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Erik

21 March 2007 20:23 (UK time)

Yeah, but the soundtrack i put up could be used as startmusic in menu

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use