You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  General  \  Features that make the ultimate game...

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Features that make the ultimate game...

me_mantis

17 November 2005 02:29 (UK time)

#1. Multiplayer. I don't care if the AI is really good. There has never been a game that I though would be better without multiplayer.
#2. Stratigy. I personally don't like games where all the powere is in your fingers. Sure, your halo2 stratigy may be "snipe people while trying not to get found" but is that really stratigical? When I say stratigy, I mean battle formations, ambushes, attention bringing attacks that conceal the real purpose of the raid.
#3. Cleverness. The ability to win with a clever plan instead of a brute force rush. Also the ability to combine tactics in a way that allows you to play smarter and not harder than your opponent, and still win.
#4. Editiblilty. Games where can create you own units/structures/terrain are a lot more fun tha n games where you can only play with the stuff made for you.
#5. Storyline. Games are more fun if they have a original storyline, or use the plot a good movie/book.
#6. Physics. This is way super cool any way you look at it. Being able to send enemies flying through space. Blasting a tank off a cliff with a rocket launcher is always fun.
#7. 5 minutes free. I really dislike games where the outcome is decided in the first 5 minutes. Games should have more than 1 way to win that doens't depend on the first 5 minutes.
#8. Mallibility. You should be able to change the world in which you play when you are playing in it. The reidrection of a river would be really fun, but building bridges across them is usually enough. Random volcanos would be awesome!
#9. Customization. This means more than just picking a color. You should be able to make new units and technologys in game!
Why did I spend so much time typing this? I'm working on a cool render of a flame, and it takes a ton of prerendering.

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

shockdrop

17 November 2005 03:32 (UK time)

Ok....i think 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, and 9 are great. Especially 8, i would love that. And 2 would be great. I use cover in Meteor already, its only small againgst walls and stuff, but it works. And the fire thing is cool. And i would love to beable to have the options of destroy the bridge holding quickly advancing enemy units, or destroy the mountain and have it come down on them. But thats me :p

What did you use to render that flame, if i may ask?

Edited: 17 November 2005 03:35

me_mantis

17 November 2005 16:14 (UK time)

Quote"And i would love to beable to have the options of destroy the bridge holding quickly advancing enemy units,"

Dude! you gotta play red alert 2. I was playing a game last Month on a map with a few bridges, and I was seriously outnumbered. I destroyed the bridge leading to my base, and I tried th build up a defending force. I had 2 crazy Ivans(for those of you that don't know, these units plant timed explosives on bridges and units.) and 8 tanks. My opponent had 28 tanks, and 2 engineers to repair the bridge that I had destroyed. I felt that an attack was coming soon, so I placed a timed explosive on the bridge, just as he engineered it, and send his tanks across it. I rushed my tanks at his in an attempt to block the rush, but they sort of failed. Approximatly 15 of his tanks were on the bridge when the explosive when off. All 15 tanks fell to their watery doom, as I snapped tons of screen shots.(I will post 'em) After the dust setteled, I had A. twice as many tanks as him, B. a Kirov in his base, and C. an engineer rush headed for his base. I sort of won =D. Thats Why I like mallablilty, and cleverness.

the flame was rendered in Lightwave 3D 8.3.1.

Are there any things that y'all think would make a great game?

arezey

17 November 2005 16:39 (UK time)

Having the "Used Door Texture" or whatever moved to the Sector Properties -> Doors and Required Items? Would be nice!

And is there a way to have timed explosives (that game made me an idea)? Like having the E key having the explo count to the value set in Object Editor and then boom up? And maybe mouse over would show the number the TNT had count up? And fix the Sector Hit Points!

Edited: 17 November 2005 16:43

shockdrop

17 November 2005 20:11 (UK time)

...nope...never played it, what system?

Where did you get it (lightwave)

And anything with stealth. I love stealth games, Metal Gear is my favorite. And great sniper systems. I LOVE sniper games. I cant find any good ones though....atleast not on GC, cause thats all i got. And elements of Splinter Cell, with the shooting out lights part, and the items of Metal Gear. Also weapons. Lots and lots of weapons. And games like Metal Arms: Glitch in the System, great game BTW. Parts of that game would be great.

Assain

17 November 2005 20:57 (UK time)

Red Alert 2 is for the PC. You can get it in the C&C Collection (soon in "The First Decade" collection having the 12 C&C games ever made for $40 this Feb). Its an RTS.

NOW! onto the response:

QUOTE:
"#1. Multiplayer. I don't care if the AI is really good. There has never been a game that I though would be better without multiplayer.
#2. Stratigy. I personally don't like games where all the powere is in your fingers. Sure, your halo2 stratigy may be "snipe people while trying not to get found" but is that really stratigical? When I say stratigy, I mean battle formations, ambushes, attention bringing attacks that conceal the real purpose of the raid.
#3. Cleverness. The ability to win with a clever plan instead of a brute force rush. Also the ability to combine tactics in a way that allows you to play smarter and not harder than your opponent, and still win.
#4. Editiblilty. Games where can create you own units/structures/terrain are a lot more fun tha n games where you can only play with the stuff made for you.
#5. Storyline. Games are more fun if they have a original storyline, or use the plot a good movie/book.
#6. Physics. This is way super cool any way you look at it. Being able to send enemies flying through space. Blasting a tank off a cliff with a rocket launcher is always fun.
#7. 5 minutes free. I really dislike games where the outcome is decided in the first 5 minutes. Games should have more than 1 way to win that doens't depend on the first 5 minutes.
#8. Mallibility. You should be able to change the world in which you play when you are playing in it. The reidrection of a river would be really fun, but building bridges across them is usually enough. Random volcanos would be awesome!
#9. Customization. This means more than just picking a color. You should be able to make new units and technologys in game!
Why did I spend so much time typing this? I'm working on a cool render of a flame, and it takes a ton of prerendering"

Honestly most of those sound like a single player RPG called "Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" comming out in march.

#1. It doesnt have multi, because the devs of the ES prefer to make all of thier concentraition in an incredably huge (16 miles long/wide or so) single player experience. Which includes thier very own RadientAI system. NPC's have dynamic conversations in streets that are based on whats going on, and are UNSCRIPTED. This also allows for some attributes such as NPC's haveing full time sceduals (it varies from day to day), and attributes for them (similar to the Sims, such as, Hunger, outgoingness, ect), and its also based upon thier race or class. Such as, if an NPC is a Kajieet (very good thieving race) and a Theif class, if he finds himself hungry but with no money to buy food, he might decide to steal it from someone or a store (if hes outgoing enough). But, other choices he have could be to steal money, and then buy something (if he doesnt get caught), grow the food, or hunt it. Everything depends on the attributes, race, skill, and ect. Its INCREDABLY in depth for the some 1500+ NPC's. Not to mention there are over 50 hours of recorded diologue that fills half of the game's DVD itself, including the voices of Patrick Stewart (captain picard of Star Trek), and Sean Bean. All that voice goes into the NPC's, and EVERY SINGLE NPC is voiced/lip-synced.

#2. During combat, NPC's will do thier on thier foes, and quite intelligently. Plus, adding combat moves to the mix...

#3. There are many ways to win a quest. For instance, if you need to kill someone, you could simply kill them with your sword. Or you could make a poisonous potion and poison them when they go eat. Or you could set up a trap with a bookcase. Or drive them to hunger. And thats ONLY for killing someone!

#4. The game includes the Construction Set, the exact same tool used by the developers. You can edit+add anything in this freeform RPG, except mess with the source code itself.

#5. It has one of those, the series has a huge background in lore and history too. Not to mention to 200+ books that can be read in game (ok... so the books are only a few pages long usually), that teach you of all sorts of history.

#6. This game features Havok Physics 3.0, which is like HL2 on steriods. EXTREMELY REALISTIC physics, and you can manipulate almost all of the 9000+ different modeled objects in the game (as in, each object is completely different, that number doesnt include how many a type of object has in game. Such as, a piece of pottery might be 1 type of object, but it could be in the game in 100 different times).

#7. The game is completely freeform. You can do whatever you want, from trying to become filty rich, rise the ranks in a guild and complete complex/dynamic quests, or do the Main Quest. Even if you do beat the main quest, it doesnt finish from there, you keep going. There is atleast 100-200 hours worth of gameplay before you MIGHT be bored. Not to mention all of the realistic+animated dense forests are all randomly generated, as with the realm of Oblivion (which is most similar to our "hell";).

#8. Sadly, this isnt possible with the retail version unless its scripted in (such as, in the main quest at one point a city gets destroyed), or modded in with the contruction set (as in, if someone decides to make it so different forms of landscape are objects affected by physics, and some heavy codeing/scripting that runs 24/7). The main problem why this isnt in, is because it uses up so much processing power to have manipuable envoirnments in such as free-form game with no restrictions. Not to mention, %50-%75 of the country the game takes place in is forests, and having forests burn down will... well break gameplay MAJORLY. For now, its safe to just go witht he excuse that magic fire cant physically "burn" plants (i.e. it goes out by itself in X number of seconds). Of course, this game is a single player FPS/TPS RPG, and envoirnments that do this on no matter what game are HUGELY resource heavy. This kind of stuff is best suited for lower-graphic games, or ones that are other genres of games (such as RTS or TBS, ect). But hey, everything else has physics :)

#9. Close. Of course, Oblivion isnt an RTS, so you cant create "units" or "people", but you can enchant items, make potions, add posions to arrows from potions you have made, and whatever armor parts you are wearing (there Cuirasses, Boots, Helms, Greaves, Pauldrons, ect), is what shows up on your body. And you can create you own "food reciepies". Plus full controll over some other stuff (such as, the game uses Face Gen, so you can create you face/body from sliders and options, race selection, ect, or just have it randomly generate it).

Well, i honestly think Oblivion when it comes out in march will truely be one of the "best games ever made". Of course, its an RPG, not a shooter. I am sure of everything in this game that i have mentioned, because Morrowind had alot of it (the 3rd ES game, Oblvion is the 4th), and i have seen the draw dropping 20 minute "tour E3 video" (which BTW, it won RPG of E3 when it appeared at E3 from almost ALL of the websites/mags), which shows MANY of the features. But the previous ES game, Morrowind, also had many of this, such as the freeform gameplay, but it didnt have things like physics, or ect, as it was released in 2002 or so. So i can trust this small game company, they do their job better than any other game company ive seen out there.

http://www.elderscrolls.com (click on games, then Oblivion for more info)

Edited: 17 November 2005 21:02

me_mantis

18 November 2005 02:47 (UK time)

ĦĦĦĦĦStealth Games PWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I figured out a way to turn Meteor 2 into a stealth game =D. With out editing anything but a level.

About this C&C game pack... It will probably have a movie that I made included with it, so its well worth the $40 you pay for it. All the games will be remastered to include the patches, and will be compatible with XP. Talking about C&C games, Any1 here play ra2 online? Just yesterday, I played Tiberian Dawn over my network for a few hours, thanks to a nice new .dll.

<a href="http://www.lightwave3d.com">Lightwave 3D</a>
is a totally awesome ultra expensive 3D modeling/animation package. Its like $3000, so I didn't buy it. My church did, and I am the only one who has learned how to use it, so I can use it whenever I want to. Its really fun. Alnost as fun as meteor2!
<< My old icon is back =D<<

Edited: 18 November 2005 02:51

arezey

18 November 2005 11:18 (UK time)

I found a C&C game pack at a large shop in Ylivieska. I has 5 games: Red Alert (+2), Renegade Zone (yes!) and 2 other games... its about 50€s a pack. Gonna save money for it!

And I traced your fireball pic back =D

Edited: 18 November 2005 11:24

Assain

18 November 2005 12:49 (UK time)

No. Thats the C&C Collection, it includes TS, RA2, and Renegade, plus its expansions. In the states its only abotu $20 US.

What we are talking about is called "C&C: The First Decade". Its about $40 US, and includes all 12 C&C games ever made, all patched, and optimized for WinXP (the earlier games played like crap on XP) on one DVD.

The DVD will also include some "director's commentary", a few inside stories, and a fan made video. The video is about "Are you the greatest C&C fan?" and people submit their video to the main C&C website, and the winner of the contest's video starts in this game pack's DVD.

The game pack will be released in Febuary or so in 2006.

arezey

18 November 2005 16:17 (UK time)

I knew that it was not the pack. I just didn't know what it was because I was there a few months ago!

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use