You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Suggestions  \  Scripting Commands

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Scripting Commands

mike323
22 April 2005 03:04 (UK time)

There should be a way to put the full list of scripting commands in the game...any luck?

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

me_mantis

23 April 2005 23:57 (UK time)

its easy! just add them to the \\Meteor2\base\system\help\scriptcommands.txt file!

mike323
24 April 2005 02:32 (UK time)

Yeah, I knew that...but is there any way to add them like in HTML format so it's easy to edit in M2?

Also, will there be a text editor in M2 so we can add breifings and script stuff without quitting?

Zable Fahr

24 April 2005 23:19 (UK time)

You don't have to quit. You can always Alt+Tab to something like Notepad.

James Bunting
24 April 2005 23:24 (UK time)

Yes the alt-tabbing thing is a bummer, I had a go at a text editor a while back and its amazingly tricky (with all the memory allocation and drawing cursors and scrollbars blah blah blah). One day I may.

If any of you keen coders fancy a shot at an Allegro based text editor in MSVC...

If you are lucky enough enough to have 2 PCs or even just 2 monitors then you can save a bunch of hassle.

Lucky me lol.

James Bunting
24 April 2005 23:25 (UK time)

As for the nice formatted help file that would require an Allegro based HTML viewer (a pretty tall order).

Perhaps someone can convert it to a text file and put it up for download after each version revision.

Edited: 24 April 2005 23:26

mike323
25 April 2005 05:02 (UK time)

Good idea

I just remembered that Meteor 2 runs windowed!! There's all these problems solved, except one. Why won't it save the windowed setting?

Zable Fahr

25 April 2005 05:32 (UK time)

Hmm.. now there's an idea. What if there's a button somewhere in the toolbar that, when you click it, turns the game windowed (if it wasn't windowed already), then loads up 2 instances of Notepad which open to the scripting file and the briefing file. If the files do not exist, create them on the spot. When the button is clicked again, then both files are saved and closed, and the game reverts back to full-screen (but only if it was originally full-screen).

Now you don't have to implement a line of text editing code, and there can even be a setting somewhere to customize exactly what text editor opens.

At the very least, this is a good makeshift solution until a proper text editor is in place.

Also I'm assuming that switching from full-screen to windowed and back is a simple task. I have no idea if it is.

mike323
25 April 2005 22:40 (UK time)

Hmm...I like that idea, maybe it could pop up a browser that goes to the m2 scripting commands page

Assain

26 April 2005 20:35 (UK time)

AKA a HTML Viewer (read JB's second post) :).

me_mantis

28 April 2005 21:05 (UK time)

I usually run the game windowed, so i can do the scripting, but as soon as i get the time and another monitor, I will make a computer out of the parts in my house, install a spare copy of xp and hooh it to my network. Then ill share the map folder over my network, and edit the map with my good comp, and edit the script with my new(worse) pc.

About this 2 monitors thing. Can you have meteor full screened, and edit text on your other monitor? or do you just have meteor windowed?

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use