You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Suggestions  \  Weapon switching inside vehicles

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Weapon switching inside vehicles

Zable Fahr

17 March 2005 10:32 (UK time)

It would be interesting if you could switch to one of your own weapons while inside a vehicle. Doing so would cause the vehicle to shoot all its weapons like it normally does, but at the same time you would also be shooting with one of your weapons, using up ammo in the process.

Clearly this makes some vehicles overpowered, and if this ever gets implemented it should probably be a per-vehicle setting. This opens up the possibility for vehicles that themselves don't have weapons (or have very weak weapons), but serve different purposes like providng fast transport or additional armor.

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

17 March 2005 12:56 (UK time)

If you put most of the suggestions in this forum together, M2'd look like a 2D bf1942!

Instead of letting the driver fire infantry weapons, I'd attach several "chair" objects to a vehicle for others to use.

Each "chair" object could be a vehicle attached to a vehicle.
"Chairs" would need a relative turning arc constraint, NO movement collision detection, and a get in / get out area relative to the "parent" vehicle.

If there is no "weapon" on the chair, player may use his own weapons freely within the turning arc(including flashlights).
If you want the player to do nothing but ride along, add a mounted "weapon" with no graphic that does nothing / honk horn.

Examples: a mounted m60, a powerful spotlight, places to stand on a landing craft,

Edited: 17 March 2005 13:30

40oz
 Official Sponsor

19 March 2005 02:52 (UK time)

Sort of like Halo's warthog, 3 chairs:

1-Driver
2-Passenger (firing his own weilded weapons
3-Gunner (firing with mounted machine gun on back)

I would really like to see team operated vehicles. This would be great for online play.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

19 March 2005 03:18 (UK time)

Yeah, it would be great for online play.

Actually, forget the seperate get in / get out areas for each "chair". Have only one enter/exit radius for the "parent" vehicle (defaults to chair#1). Use keys 3 & 4 to cycle between "chair" spots. This simplifies vehicle design for modders. To choose chairs, players won't have to run around the vehicle.

JB, could you make the vehicle exit direction towards the cursor? (if collision do original algorithm)

Edited: 19 March 2005 03:25

Zable Fahr

19 March 2005 04:42 (UK time)

Yeah, it'd be great for multiplayer although it doesn't offer much for single-player missions.

What would be cool is if AI controlled units could also take over some of the chairs though. You could have a Humvee drive over to pick up the player, and then the driver goes on some preset path through a battlefield and the player would have to gun down the things in the way. Or have it be the other way around, and you have to pilot an ammo truck while the AI units fire from inside it.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

19 March 2005 13:19 (UK time)

Major AI Problem in BF1942: bots will fill vehicles to capacity, not allowing player to get in. When in combat, 6 bots will just sit in the truck twiddling their thumbs until they get blown up.

Solutions ?

Zable Fahr

19 March 2005 18:59 (UK time)

Actually I was originally thinking that you would have to call a script command manually in order to place an AI bot into a vehicle.

But a really simple solution would be to just let the player kick bots out of a vehicle :-)

Heck, let them do that to enemy vehicles too and we might just have something reminiscent of the classic 2D Grand Theft Auto 1 & 2 games :-)

Edited: 19 March 2005 19:00

me_mantis

21 March 2005 15:32 (UK time)

Correct me if im wrong, but i think that you can add player weapons to vehicles, and the player can only use them if he has picked up the corrisponding item. Example:
the hum-V has a sniper rifle added to its list of weapons. Under ai control, it can massacre basically anything. If you get in it w/o a sniper rifle, you <u>can't</u> use the sniper rifle. although if you do have the sniper rifle, you cannot fire both the chain gun and the sniper rifle at the same time.

Conversely, you can add weapons that have no corrisponding item or ammo to a player character, allowing it to always have a certian weapon.

Assain

21 March 2005 21:30 (UK time)

Interesting, didnt know that.

James Bunting
23 March 2005 00:42 (UK time)

Me too.

Anyway this thread makes me think of Starsky and Hutch, you know where Starsky drives the car and Hutch shoots out of the passenger window.

me_mantis

23 March 2005 15:43 (UK time)

lol. I was guessing at the first part, but i think i may test it out later 2day.
Does hutch have a rotating chair that is constrained to 135º?

All this talking about degrees makes me wish that the angle slider for changing object angles would snap at multiples of 8.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

23 March 2005 23:41 (UK time)

A script trigger for a unit to go into a vehicle would be more efficient than the AI doing it themselves. If that were so no one would want to be on foot.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

mike323
24 March 2005 05:41 (UK time)

Hmmm...about the 3 players operating turret, gunning, driving, etc.

<b>Some vehicle ideas:</b>
- 3 player (1 driver, 1 gunner, 1 passenger)- Reconnisence
- 5 player (1 driver, 4 passenger) - Transportation
- 2 player (1 driver, 1 passenger) - Jeep or Police Car for civilian missians
- 6 player (1 driver, 2 passenger, 2 gunner, 1 cannon operator) - Tank
- 4 player (1 driver, 1 gunner, 2 passenger) - Osprey

Also, there could be an option on a vehicle for stationary...giving the ability to creat a turret.

Assain

24 March 2005 12:04 (UK time)

I think the turrets for the AI move to slow, these should have a turning cycle option sorta like what might be implemented for vehicles...

Also, and vehicle that doesnt have a turret (Dark Jet) instantly turns to where to mouse is pointing on right clikc. Same witht he turrets. Gives you an easy advantage from other tanks in a vehicle >_>

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

25 March 2005 02:36 (UK time)

Better idea for chair switching and bot board / unboard control:
All commands available whether in vehicle or on foot:

"E" = exit vehicle in direction of crosshairs
"E" = enter vehicle nearest to crosshairs, default to driver seat

Left click on a chair to occupy it. Bots automatically give up seats for players.

Right click on a chair to toggle whether AI should use it / avoid it. Right click is available for unmanned vehicles, vehicles you are in, or other allied vehicles which do not contain a human player. (avoids griefers)
Empty chairs set to usable should have a yellow "down" arrow indicator.
Empty chairs set to unusable should have a gray "down" arrow indicator.
Occupied chairs should have a small filled circle (team color)indicator.
On mouseover() chairs, the indicator arrows should bob up and down and indicator circles should ocillate between big & small so I know what I'm targeting.

Right click part of vehicle which isn't a chair to set / unset all chairs to boardable. Kind of like a "bail out!" or "Everybody in!".
On mouseover() vehicle, a vehicle box outline (team color) should appear so I know I'm not targeting a chair.

Edited: 25 March 2005 23:16

James Bunting
25 March 2005 23:49 (UK time)

For the later multiplayer versions this will certainly get some thought. The driver gunner thing will be very important.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

26 March 2005 01:57 (UK time)

player interface, data presentation, data structure, modder interface, AI interaction
Anything else to consider?

Assain

26 March 2005 17:56 (UK time)

Yikes, ive got a feeling Meteor 2 might come out like Halo 2 hehe if we do this ^.^! People would think they are playing a more modern Halo 2 lol... hope we get ove 3 million pre-download signups :D.

BTW, is there a counter on how many people downloaded a certain thing from you site?

James Bunting
27 March 2005 00:11 (UK time)

Thats all in the server log files somewhere.

me_mantis

28 March 2005 03:56 (UK time)

About This weapon switching thing: I am working on a really really cool vehicle that you will be able to pick up extra ammo and weapons for. This may or may not have somthing to do with that really cool pic on meteormods.com
I would be cool to transport you own troops in your tank(oops did i give it away?) and make them bail out and fight when you needed them.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

28 March 2005 18:14 (UK time)

About what Assain said about AI's turrets moving too slow, it is more like the player characters turret moves too fast, when aiming at something, you should have to wait for the turret to lock in position, or just decrease the mouse sensitivity dangerously low.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

28 March 2005 18:16 (UK time)

Oh and another thing, when vehicles are driving and don't have a turret, the vehicle follows the cursor. This is ok but vehicles turn too sharply. This may have been said before.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Assain

28 March 2005 21:37 (UK time)

Yes it has been ^_^.

But what I mean is not only in the player's sense, its that when an enemy turreted vehicle tries to attack somthing medium speed/fast, its turrets are to slow.

How about if an enemy is an infintry, the AI friendly will automatically try to run it over if it is close enough to it (say a "run over infintry" circle drawn around a vehicle depending on its object dection size, unless the vehicle is specified by a varible not to do so in the object properties)?

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

29 March 2005 16:12 (UK time)

I think vehicle ammo / fuel is a bad idea because vehicles are shared among the team. "I told you to restock the APC before you pick us up!"
Infantry ammo conservation is enough to deal with already.

me_mantis

29 March 2005 23:03 (UK time)

I added a grenade launcher to the humV and I set it to the deafault character for a level. It started out with a grenade launcher and a rodbuggy gun. The game crashed when i tried to fire both at once. If i switched my weapons, i could use the rod buggy gun till all its 200 rounds ran out and i picked up a grenade launcher, and I was able to use that too. When i jumped into a humv as a vehicle i could use both the rod buggy gun and the grenade launcher forever.

Dave Man

02 April 2005 03:00 (UK time)

That's a bad problem with vechiles. I put a Humvee in my first level but it made the level too easy with unlimited ammo and such. Vechiles should have there own ammo storage though, but that should be limited and only replaced by certain power ups.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

02 April 2005 15:08 (UK time)

You can take away the humvee in several ways.
Humvee's can't float, fly, or go through doorways.
Also, you can set up scripted ambush points to damage the vehicle.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

03 April 2005 23:16 (UK time)

You could also bring up the spray factor so that the shots don't 'always' hit
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Zable Fahr

04 April 2005 00:53 (UK time)

Speaking of vehicles, is there a reason why you can't run over enemies that are set to Guard? I'm wondering if there's any rationale for this, since I don't think standing still makes you any less perceptible to being run over by a Humvee :-)

Assain

04 April 2005 04:12 (UK time)

Agreed. Im making a level, where in the end you have to run over a horde of guarding Enemies in order to get through the pass. Cant do it thoguh, unless they are allowed to get run over in the next version.

BTW, vehicles CAN go through doors, just tanks and ect, usually wont fit. This should be fixed to (as in not being able to go thru a door in a vehicle).

Dave Man

04 April 2005 13:46 (UK time)

Well in some ways that would spoil the game. What if you wanted a garage with a large door in the front or if you wanted to ride a motorcylce through a building? Yet there should be an option to have a door Vehicle passaible or Vehicle not passaible.

Assain

05 April 2005 01:29 (UK time)

Ah yes, how about this under the Doors drop down menu:

Vehicle passable: True/False

or

Sector Type:
-Standard
-Door
-Door (vehicle passable)

Of course, air units woulnt affect vehicle passable doors or non vehicle doors nomatter what.

Actually, even so, if you were driving through a garage, the door wouldnt open "for you" (unless you script it), so you would still have to get out of the vehicle. So on secondthought, nah, vehciles shouldnt go through doors nomatter what ;).

Knasp

05 April 2005 21:00 (UK time)

Can't see why that would be necessary but interesting anyway.

Edited: 05 April 2005 21:02

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use