You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Suggestions  \  vehicle turning circles

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: vehicle turning circles

d34db34t

12 March 2005 03:14 (UK time)

a good idea would be you could change a vehicle's turning circle to whatever you want it to be, for example: you woudn't want a truck that handles like a regular car

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

Assain

12 March 2005 20:15 (UK time)

Im pretty sure you could already set the turning cycles in M2...

James Bunting
14 March 2005 17:58 (UK time)

Turning circles are directly affected by the vehicle's speed. Therefore a slow truck turns in a smaller circle than a fast car.

Zable Fahr

17 March 2005 10:23 (UK time)

Is there a key to quickly slow down the vehicle? I recall not finding one and simply had to let go of the accelerate key and have the vehicle slow to a stop.

If there isn't one, I think it would be a really neat addition that solves the problem of turning circles quite well; with faster vehicles, if you want to round a sharp corner, you'll have to slow down while you turn. Enemy units should also take advantage of this; I can't even count the number of times I've seen a ROD buggy completely slam into a wall and take forever to unstick itself :-)

To make it consistent with the controls of other games I've played, if both the break and the accelerate key are held down, breaking takes precedence but doesn't cause the vehicle to come to a complete stop (maybe it eventually reaches 1/4 of the max velocity)

Whether this should be implemented on air or water vehicles could be left for debate.

Assain

17 March 2005 20:38 (UK time)

I think only air and water vehicles need to slow down. As far as im concerned, the Humvee and other cars instantly stop (add a slow down feature to these too...? Suggestion: Make land vehicles slow down alot faster than air or water)

Also, sence the Dark jet/ other jets "raise up" like a heli does in the game when they take off, how about changing the name to a "Hover Dark Jet" or somthing along the lines. Or just keep it the same and say in the doc's it has a "invaluble hover mechanisim". I could wright the gameplay documentations for M2 :D!

Zable Fahr

18 March 2005 01:42 (UK time)

Well my point is that you have to let go of the accelerator key to have it slow down, and doing that to execute a tight turn is (in my opinion) clunky. It would be nice if you could press another key to slow it down a bit so you can turn sharper.

For the Dark Jet, you could say it has some sort of VTOL (vertical takeoff and landing) jet, kinda like the Harrier. Many modern jets have some VTOL features so I think the M2 jets aren't too unusual. And yeah, I think gameplay documentation would be cool!

mike323
27 March 2005 00:46 (UK time)

I think vehicles need to slow down before stopping, would this be hard scripting-wise? When you release the accelerator, the vehicle stops like it crashed into an invisible wall.

Assain

27 March 2005 17:47 (UK time)

Yes, but like I said now, only Air and Water vehicles slow down to a stop. tanks/vehicles just suddenly stop.

Dave Man

02 April 2005 03:13 (UK time)

Your right about vechiles needing to slow down but tanks should stop righ away, they run on tracks, not wheels, and therefor they have no intial momentum when they stop.

Edited: 02 April 2005 03:17

mike323
02 April 2005 23:00 (UK time)

GAH
Sorry guys, I've sorta been living in the past. I just realized I've been basing all my suggestions on the first beta. I'm such an idiot lol

ANYWAY
So I just got the most recent version, very nice James...and now I see the vehicles do slow down before stopping.
PS GREAT scripting job on that train.

Dave Man

04 April 2005 13:47 (UK time)

I didn't even notice that. Oh and the train is also great.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use