You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Suggestions  \  Texture Lighting

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Texture Lighting

40oz
 Official Sponsor

06 February 2005 14:01 (UK time)

I may have already said this before, but I think it has been forgotten so I am saying it again

Use Texture lighting levels instead of shadow sectors. It will work a lot better and give better use to the flashlight for making caverns and ventilation shafts!

Light levels are from 0 to 255, When set to 255, the level is at its clear light level, when set below that, the texture works like a shadow, except you can set it to as light or dark as you want.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 06 February 2005 14:04

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

07 February 2005 14:51 (UK time)

So, shadows are still always black, but they have an additional transparency variable from 0-255?

what do you mean by "texture lighting levels"?

Edited: 07 February 2005 15:23

me_mantis

07 February 2005 15:07 (UK time)

"texture lighting" I am I missing somethig here or did James implement a control that allows textures to be overlayted with light?
Also on this topic, Could there be Lights that decreased the lightness of an area? that could be helpful for creating burn marks.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

07 February 2005 15:25 (UK time)

Greenish shadows would be good for jungle wars.

Shadow: int color, char transparency, bool add_or_blend
Light: int color, char transparency, bool add_or_blend

-or- perhaps when you enter a cavern, script darkness on, and add lighting to the outside area?

Edited: 07 February 2005 15:33

Assain

07 February 2005 20:34 (UK time)

I think he means when making/using textures, dont use the "shadow" option, instead have a "light" version and "dark" version of the texture (like grass_light and grass_normal and grass_dark as different textures), and use those for caverns, shadows, ect, for it actually works with the flashlight texture (even though the objects and powerups are still going to be bright)

40oz
 Official Sponsor

08 February 2005 00:16 (UK time)

Maybe I didn't exactly explain it clear enough. Assain gets it a bit, but I don't want just dark and light textures, you just pick a number between 0-255, 255 being the brightest texture youve ever seen in yor life, and 0 being pitch black. And also, like shadows, the darkness level reflects objects too.

me_mantis is right, Id like to see 'black' lights for burn marks or smoke, instead of making black fading away.

I also thought of another light type, (blinking fast, random blinking etc.) fade. This way the light slowly dims until it is nothing, and then brightens up again, and repeats. Maybe you could edit the fade in/fade out speed too.

fuzinavl, well you can do something similar to that, when you make a night map, you can change the night color, that way you can make fog, which I already did on one of the maps I sent to James. But you cant make it a shadow though.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 08 February 2005 00:24

me_mantis

09 February 2005 14:20 (UK time)

Ok. Now i get that you were making the texture controls up. I think that that would be a nice addition to the sector properties. BTW I was the first person to make textures that are have 3 different brightness levels=).
I also think that the sector property page should display on your sidebar so you access it faster.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

11 February 2005 21:00 (UK time)

Yah I figured you made those 3 different lit textures, and they should stay too, even with the texture lighting because then the objects wont be darkened or lightened by it.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use