You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Suggestions  \  Initial Waypoint Setting in Map Editor

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: Initial Waypoint Setting in Map Editor

Zable Fahr

18 January 2005 04:15 (UK time)

Hopefully this will be a very simple and easy-to-implement suggestion, since I would really like to see it:

Units should have an "Initial Waypoint" property in the Map Editor. This automatically binds the unit to that waypoint on map start. Default value is -1, which means no waypoint.

Reasons why this is useful:
- Easier for newbies to understand. You don't have to learn any scripting to do waypoints.
- Quick to set up. It takes several seconds and doesn't require you to have to switch to a text editor and add another line of code to your map script.
- One less opportunity to introduce a really stupid syntax error in your map scripts (may or may not have happened to me ;-) ).

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

21 January 2005 23:38 (UK time)

Actually that is a really good idea. I would love to see that. Especcially I am still having trouble with 1 letter spelling errors which ignores everything I typed in. Maybe we could do that same thing with all the scripting variables and commands. Thus making no scripting at all!
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

James Bunting
23 January 2005 01:03 (UK time)

Well Ok its a great idea and you can't fault it.

The only reason why I did not do this before was because there has to be a line between "settings" and scripting, I guess this one can spread over the two.

Zable Fahr

23 January 2005 07:15 (UK time)

Yeah, I agree there would probably have to be a line somewhere between settings and scripting (just so things don't get too complicated), but you could note that waypoints are probably the only thing that you can't do fully in the map editor. You could place other things like objects or powerups in the map editor, and they would work on their own, and you only need scripting to do more advanced stuff. I guess I just found it slightly odd that you could place waypoints in the map editor, but they don't do anything on their own without using scripting. So you could probably argue that this suggestion doesn't really cross the line because it's just "completing" the implementation of waypoints in the map editor.

The password-required doors feature does feel to me like it somewhat crosses the line (since it's implementable using scripting and repeating triggers), but I guess ease of use comes first.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use