You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Suggestions  \  multi level buildings

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: multi level buildings

d34db34t

12 January 2005 23:34 (UK time)

will there be multi level buildings in M2?

example: you could walk up or down some stairs or ride up and down floors in a lift?

in the map editor the map would be layered, and you can choose how many layers (floors) you want

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

IMYSC2000T

13 January 2005 00:31 (UK time)

LOL Oh no this is gonna have to wait for M3, I'm sure. M2's almost done as far as hard-coding new features goes. What you're mentioning is a fairly hefty feature to code so that's almost certainly not gonna happen for M2. Sorry.

Assain

13 January 2005 01:17 (UK time)

Using teleports, you can make it so when you enter a building's door, or go up stairs, you enter (aka teleport) into the other room and the aria around you is surrounded by blackness (like some rpg's).

Dave Man

13 January 2005 13:25 (UK time)

Multi level buildings are easy, in fact I have a skyscraper type building that you can explore the levels in my new mod. Just add a elevator and then make it so either the elevator will transport you to another building built just like the one you where in or make it so you go into a new level with another floor for that building.

IMYSC2000T

14 January 2005 07:23 (UK time)

Wow I didn't know C.R.A.P. (without the .s) is blanked-out on these forums....

The problem with these multi-level buildings is that they will have to use trick-transports (ZDooM-style silent-teleports) to fake thew effect, though they do a horrible job of disguising the effect when the automap is on, for obvious reasons)....

Besides, what would you do with the aircraft and birds that can still fly into that "remote" area of the map? I don't see how this can be done in M2.... Perhaps this can be another one of the many requests that are already being put forth for the next game.....

Edited: 14 January 2005 07:25

Dave Man

14 January 2005 13:27 (UK time)

That's easy, just add a bunch of silent transports on the edge of the secert area. Then all the aircraft will transport before they go past the transport barrier.

Assain

14 January 2005 21:04 (UK time)

Good idea! Even though you might hear lots of "random" teleporting happening among the map while playing... i think there should be an option to disable the tele sound in sector editor for that sector that is a teleport.

Also when shooting bullets into a teleport (bullet projectiles, not tank/ect projectiles).... well its too hard to describe just see for yourslef JB :). Its just a graphical error.

Edited: 14 January 2005 21:04

40oz
 Official Sponsor

14 January 2005 22:20 (UK time)

ive made multilevel buildings on M1, in fact the whole mission took place in one building, you start on the street and walkinto the lobby, I made a tile that was shaped like an elevator control panel, and it made the sound of an elevator going up and it made that little *DING* sound and you appeared at a room that looks exactly alike, yet it is attached to the next level. The entire map had 4 levels to the building. You could look at the final battle map on M1 for more details. (noticed how the main base is isolated from the rest of the map when you look at the minimap)

Basically the only problem with multi level buildings is that it takes up a lot of space on the map.

If you think about it this way, Air planes and birds are SUPPOSED to be over there since they are BOTH in the air.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Edited: 14 January 2005 22:23

Zable Fahr

16 January 2005 23:29 (UK time)

How about hiding/revealing sectors? You create a whole set of sectors for one floor, then overlay a whole new set of sectors for the next floor, etc. Do the same with objects and enemies. Powerups, however, are going to be tricky since you can't hide or reveal them them (new suggestion?). You can then make scripting events that hide all other floors except the current floor that trigger when the player steps on a stairs or elevator sector.

Yeah, it's a hell lot of work to script and a super pain to do in the map editor, but the result is probably the most visually appealing (aside from making separate levels for each floor). When repeating triggers are implemented, you can also go back to a previous floor.

Using a separate level for each floor would be the easiest thing to do, but the problem is preserving state; a powerup that you picked up on one floor should disappear even when you come back to it to prevent abuse. Then again, this is probably the best solution in my opinion.

IMYSC2000T

17 January 2005 01:08 (UK time)

Well if you add silent transports to the edge of the black area then where would the planes and/or birds transport to?! They'd just fly into this black area and all of a sudden appear in another place?! Heh sounds like the Bermuda Triangle....

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use