You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Suggestions  \  AI

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: AI

d34db34t

23 December 2004 04:28 (UK time)

A good thing would be able to make the AI smarter, like, for eg. if a group of trooups begins to feel outnumbered by the enemy, the would call 4 reinforcements, or start panicking frantically

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

Assain

23 December 2004 13:48 (UK time)

Good idea. But you can also do that with scripting. For example, you could you the command on checking the objects health, or status of living or not. And if the objects health gets below 10 or if it dies, it would start a command that makes reienforcements come. But, this would be hectic to do for all objects on you map.

And what I think how it should be smarter is like this: Ive noticed the enemy notices you there no matter what. I think you should lower the ene's "field of noticing-you" alot lower, and also the enemys turn really fast, i think they should turn slower. All for the sake of covert missions :). And you could replace with a better AI varible for the objects properties that affect how he reacts to certin situations, or somthing that makes AI more intelligent :p.

fuzinavl
 Official Sponsor

23 December 2004 14:44 (UK time)

Yes, decreased fov and turning rate would be good for covert / night missions. Also, the torch's range is too short to be useful. I recommend tripling the range and making it green-channel only (34% processing required).
Night vision goggles!
Now ignore what i just said!

Edited: 24 December 2004 22:36

jayjay

24 December 2004 10:32 (UK time)

i dont understand why we always use scripting because were not all trained in c++ or sumthing(no offense)

Assain

24 December 2004 14:54 (UK time)

We dont, i mean, i havent even ever made a map with script commands once. But i have read the Advanced Scripting turtorial (its very simple to understand) in the Documentation, and i have seen some of the level's *.sc files. You dont really have to know C++, cause i dont even know a bit of it at all. You just need to know the commands to put in if you want a script to run. But, like JB said, you dont need scripting to make an awsome level, just look at some of the mods and maps for M1. Scripting is an added little appetizer to the maps, thats all. I just happen to know a little about scripting cause i got my self familiarized a while ago to a programming language called "RPGCode" (basically its similar to JB's simple script commands except there was a whole bunch more commands).

Anyways, M2 scripting its pretty simple to learn if you want to learn it, but you dont need scripting at all to make a great level.

Edited: 24 December 2004 14:56

James Bunting
25 December 2004 00:08 (UK time)

Well said and very true.

The idea is that by plopping units down in the Map Editor you can make a map that is quite playable and good fun.

The scripting is for more enthusiastic people who want to add extra sequences. There is a learning curve but all the C++ you really need to know is to put (); on the end of everything (well its basically true lol). Other than a few basic syntax rules (which happen to be same as C) it is quite simply a list of commands made in Notepad.

The tricky bit is working out how all the IDs work and getting the functions (or "sequences" if you like) to run.

Now this....

[sequence]
name=ReadyTroops
SC_BindObjectToWaypoint 1, 10
SC_SetSectorHidden 1
[end sequence]

is the same as this...

void ReadyTroops()
{
SC_BindObjectToWaypoint(1, 10);
SC_SetSectorHidden(1);
}

I guess that "void" in scripting terms means "this is a sequence or function (whatever). { and } are start and end, put values in brackets (1,1) and stick a ; on the end of each line.

I understand that its hard to grasp at first but once you figure it out its totally consistent.

James.

jayjay

25 December 2004 08:27 (UK time)

ok then

40oz
 Official Sponsor

02 January 2005 21:18 (UK time)

I really hate those really long script command posts since theyre such a drag to read.
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

Assain

02 January 2005 23:43 (UK time)

Lol >_> hehe your so lazy ^_^

James Bunting
03 January 2005 12:08 (UK time)

Hey we have to read your posts! Hahahaahahahaha, oh boy you walked right into that one.

40oz
 Official Sponsor

03 January 2005 23:17 (UK time)

Gahh...
*Papercut
Pro-Murder.
Legalize Crime.

IMYSC2000T

05 January 2005 02:00 (UK time)

Heh you've seen nothing.... Browse the editing and bugs forums of the ZDooM.org site and you'll get a headache....

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use