You are not logged in.    Login    New User    Forum Home    Search

JBPLAY  \  Meteor 2  \  Suggestions  \  A Map making team

Back to Threads

Viewing Thread: A Map making team

Assain

12 December 2004 23:37 (UK time)

Ive got an idea to make some offical maps come into play more efficently, and creativly. How about have a team of people who make a map(s) where the map making is divided among the team (of course, there can still be maps made entirly by you submitted).

For example, after we decided on a map layout, someone could lay out the sectors and/or objects on a map first. Then someone adds extra details and decorative secors and lights (and any minor changes to the map), and someone else would make the scripting and any other changes he/she would like or request. This could also be used to make some pretty sweet mods ^_^. Anyone can join too.

This doesnt have to be anything offical, they could just make maps for fun and submit them for the "Maps" link on meteormods.com. What do you think?

You need to login to create posts in this thread.

James Bunting
13 December 2004 01:26 (UK time)

Thats a neat idea, its actually already happenning lol.

Hopefully you guys are getting to grips with the editors?

Zable Fahr

13 December 2004 03:56 (UK time)

Sounds like a neat plan, although personally I prefer to work on a map from beginning to finish. It's hard to coordinate what a map should "feel" like if several people are putting their own ideas into it.

But if this goes into action, I get dibs on the scripting! :-)

P.S. Before there is any heavy map making by the public, wouldn't it be a good idea to expand the basic collection of units, sprites, etc. that M2 has first? If everyone makes similar units or sprites for their maps, it could needlessly clutter M2 with redundant stuff. Just a thought.

Dave Man

13 December 2004 13:21 (UK time)

I could always help, I'm great at making pre-sketches of a map on paper to help determine the layout of a map, in fact I already have almost all the sketches for my new mod.

James Bunting
14 December 2004 01:04 (UK time)

The object base is much larger now. We (thats me_mantis and I) are compiling a list of levels.

I will then be able to pass single levels on to designers (but I won't give away too much about the game).

Basically each level will have a criteria like....

This is a city level where Ash has to recover a bunch of hostages being held in a downtown club. Skill: medium.

There may also be bunches of levels where people can make a chain of say 3 maps or so. The essence will be speed, there will be deadlines of about 7 days per assignment.

Assain

14 December 2004 02:26 (UK time)

OK but what would "Medium" difficulty be considered? Also, a general map size and some extra details you might like on a more must-be-story-specific type maps (as in the maps that basically need to be a certin way to fit in with the rest of the story/maps) would be nice to put in.

Forums system (C) 1999-2023 by James Bunting.

Terms of Use